Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

pvp gear

Postby ghostridder » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:51 am

could you tank using pvp gear?
ghostridder

Re: pvp gear

Postby Aranbenjo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:58 am

ghostridder wrote:could you tank using pvp gear?

Is there any such thing like "tank pvp gear "?
The savior of the broken,the beaten and the damned

Aranbenjo.Thunderhorn.EU
Aranbenjo

Postby Colette » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:07 am

There are a couple pieces of pvp gear that are decent for tanking. The spell damage mace and the stam shield are both pretty good. The shockadin plate pieces aren't that great and should only really be used as a threat set, or if you just can't get a decent piece for a slot (shoulders are a common one here).
Colette

Postby Aeran » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:18 am

well I suppose Lamellar is the closest thing to PVP tank gear, but just because you CAN do something, does not mean it is to be done. in fact I'm not even sure you could be uncrush/uncrit in just PVP gear

notable PVP pieces that are desireable for tanking are the gavels and shields
Aeran

Postby argentevenin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:13 pm

hmm might be an idea to grab full S2 shockadin set and go kara sometime - atleast i would'nt spend so much time oom :D
ssc: 6/6 TK: 4/4 BT: 6/9 MH: 5/5
R.I.P the firm :<
argentevenin

Postby Eaglestrike » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Some are decent for threat sets. Once I farm up some more honor I think I'm going to get a spell damage neck (to replace my SSO neck, similar amounts of damage, but more stam and resil can keep me uncrit since I don't necessarily care for avoidance in a threat set) But aside from mace/shield, stay away.
Eaglestrike

Postby Worldie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:49 pm

I've been tanking Illidan for a month with S3 lamellar helm since Archimonde couldn't be arsed dropping Conquerors.

I still got the helm in my bank.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Malthorn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:11 am

Just to come back to this...

I've been experiencing major problems in trying to make the leap from normal dungeons to heroics. Where I've had no major problems tanking normals I just can't seem to find decent group to do heroics.

You guessed it, I'm stuck with my gear and not finding a way to progress. Do you think that if I only plan on running the "easier" heroics it is viable to do this with a large portion of S2 gear, replacing this with heroics stuff as I get it?
Malthorn

Postby Marker » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:35 am

As people have been mentioning earlier, some of the pieces are good for HC tanking, especially the Gavel, the shield and the shoulders. While they don't provide much towards Uncrushable, the resilience helps alot for uncrittable and the HP and Armour on those pieces are really good. It might even be viable with more pieces too for all i know, as long as you replace them with proper tanking gear if your planning on MTing past HCs.
Marker

Postby Malthorn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:43 am

Marker wrote: if your planning on MTing past HCs.

Should be okay then.... I have no ambitions beyond HC. :D

I'll just start playing around with some of the character creators to see if I can replace some of my current crap gear with PVP s2 gear and still remain uncrittable.
Malthorn

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:48 am

Malthorn wrote:Just to come back to this...

I've been experiencing major problems in trying to make the leap from normal dungeons to heroics. Where I've had no major problems tanking normals I just can't seem to find decent group to do heroics.

You guessed it, I'm stuck with my gear and not finding a way to progress. Do you think that if I only plan on running the "easier" heroics it is viable to do this with a large portion of S2 gear, replacing this with heroics stuff as I get it?

The problem you will face is that although your armor and stamina will be good, you will have the avoidance of a snail carrying heavy luggage. I really wouldn't advise it, although MGT is probably an instance where you can get away with it as it is more of a 'pvp instance'.

I make use of the Gavel and Shoulders from S1, soon to be upgraded to S2, but you do have to make sacrifices elsewhere, and that is for just 2 items. More than that and you may struggle.

Link me your armory and I'll have a look by all means, but I would never be happy with someone in PvP epics tanking an instance for me personally. Although with the amount of 'lololololol wots your health' people out there at the moment you might stand a good chance in pugs who dont know any better?

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Malthorn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:29 pm

Barathorn wrote:
Malthorn wrote:Link me your armory and I'll have a look by all means, but I would never be happy with someone in PvP epics tanking an instance for me personally. Although with the amount of 'lololololol wots your health' people out there at the moment you might stand a good chance in pugs who dont know any better?

Barathorn

Thanks bara. I think I'm just running into the problem that more people have posted about. Not enough people looking for normal lvl 70 instance groups and for heroics no one has patience for a starting out heroic tank.

I've decided to go retri until WOTLK and I'll get my tanking gear whilst everyone then suddenly wants to do instances
Malthorn

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Don't give up on heroic tanking, it just takes time. I've found that looking for things like Slave Pens groups seems to work well -- it's considered easiest by many. Also, the daily heroic often has more PUGs than the others, and so you're a little more likely to survive that.

Barathorn has a good point about avoidance, though -- the amount of damage that I take in heroics is pretty scary, and I still dip somewhat low with almost 50% avoidance. It may be due to PUG healers, but my job is to maximize our chance of success, so I assume the pug healers are as competent as I am. ;)

S2 shoulders are probably very good, though, from an EH / threat point of view.
Kelaan

Postby Malthorn » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:31 am

Kelaan wrote:Don't give up on heroic tanking, it just takes time. S2 shoulders are probably very good, though, from an EH / threat point of view.

Hehe... since last night I discovered that I can easily tank normals while wearing my tank gear and still in retri spec (got no problems holding the aggro). Just gives the healer something to do.

So I guess I'll just run heroics as dps and norms as tank (if needed) and slowly get some gear together. Got the bracers from Steamvaults heroic last night :D
Malthorn

Postby Malthorn » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:51 am

kk... got bored with ret in one week. Now back to prot. Got some comments on the topic.

I now have the following pvp gear:

weapon - S2 gavel
shield - S2 shield (stamina shield)
chest - 0.5 pvp gear (the rep pvp gear)
shoulders - 0.5 pvp gear (the rep pvp gear)

With this I remain uncrittable (hey... getting some nice resilience). Currently at 13k health unbuffed and I've ran some heroics with this on. I must say that I've had no problems at all.

My plan is to keep running heroics and replace the chest and shoulders as soon as I get a decent drop or the badges finally add up.

But as far as pvp gear is concerned it should not give you a lot of problems to run most of the heroics with it.
Malthorn

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice