Flames of Azzinoth

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Base » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:06 am

At the start of P2 Illidan flies up into the air, so his position isn't really important. He'll throw the two swords to the East and West and the flames spawn beside the swords.

The eye beams cross over where the swords land and will oneshot the tanks everytime. They are also much larger than the animation would appear (I've been killed 2-3 yards clear of the flame patch). I've found the best thing is that you just warn that an eye beam is coming and which tank it's going for - ie "eye beam base's side" If you start shouting out north east to south west people are going be confused (or at least have to take the time to think about which side is which). They are pretty obvious once they start coming down and the tanks should have plenty of time to get clear - Once you've been hit by one of those you'll want to do everything you can to get away from the buggers.

An interesting thing I found the other day though is that if the frontal Cone AoE and the blaze (fire on the ground) get out of sync so the cone comes a second before the blaze you can move back into the previous blaze just after the frontal cone and he'll recast the blaze on the old spot - which means that you don't have to move so much. So by skipping in and out of a blaze you can avoid having to move him for a couple of casts. Although you should note that 2 (or more) blazes in the same spot will stack, so don't stand on the stack of blazes for too long.
Base

Postby Elza » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:51 pm

Janduin wrote:With 300 FR you are figuratively and literally playing with fire. Get 365, please.
He said unbuffed
Elza

Postby Squishums » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:46 am

How much health should I aim for...and should I sacrifice dodge/parry to get it?

Getting capped fire res as well as capped def/resil is brutal already...my health is gonna be low =(
Squishums

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:52 am

Squishums wrote:How much health should I aim for...and should I sacrifice dodge/parry to get it?

Getting capped fire res as well as capped def/resil is brutal already...my health is gonna be low =(

Use a [item=33208]Flask of Chromatic Wonder[/item] for the 18 stats and 35 resistance. It will help. HP isn't a huge deal if you're uncrittable and at the resistance cap. Just do your best to maximize it within those constraints. Also keep in mind that if you're tanking the second Fire, threat is pretty much a non-issue.

EDIT: Well, let me be clear. Don't use the Flamebane set, use the epic set for badges. Using those pieces, the [item=31746]Phoenix-fire Band[/item] (from Trial of the Naaru: Mag), and the [item=32082]The Fel Barrier[/item], you're close the resistance cap as it is before enchantments.

EDIT2: To answer your original question, yes, sacrifice dodge and parry. A lot of the damage you take will be from fires on the ground (can't be dodged or parried), so you really just want to be at the cap and uncrittable.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Base » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:22 am

This is the gear I use:

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/75907

It seems to be fine for me - gives me just over 19k buffed, uncrittable and res capped.
Base

Postby steadypal » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:06 am

is there any downside in stacking some resil gear over def gear for flames of azzinoth?

cause currently i think im going to use resil ring from za timed chest,,,, and resil dmg ring from lurker...

and also using the keepers of time exalted resil trinket with stam....

and i guess to, resil/stam gems or def gems to get above the crit cap??

just wondering if theres a downside for resil over def
steadypal

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:19 am

Don't overdo it but sure, go for it. Avoidance is near useless because much of the damage is environmental, and resil does reduce a little the dot damage.
As long as you're fire capped and has 18k~ buffed hp you should be good to go. Crits are not as destructive as 364 fr instead of 365 is.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:36 am

Eh, I tanked at 3 under the resist cap for a few weeks. I didn't notice much difference. I might just have good healers.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Tiandelin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:59 am

Snake-Aes wrote:As long as you're fire capped and has 18k~ buffed hp you should be good to go. Crits are not as destructive as 364 fr instead of 365 is.

I remember reading an interesting story about an FR-capped flame tank getting an unlucky 25% resist crit for around 14-15k or so. Was enough to convince me to go out of the way to get both FR capped and uncrittable. And yes, resilience is very good for that considering that avoidance is useless for most of the flame damage you take on this fight.

18k buffed hp is fine, just be careful about where you stand. Chromatic wonder is nice if you're tanking the second flame, otherwise I'd go with blinding light for threat. If you're worried about your health, tank the second flame and focus on getting your hp as high as you can while remaining FR capped and uncrittable.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:09 pm

Tiandelin wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:As long as you're fire capped and has 18k~ buffed hp you should be good to go. Crits are not as destructive as 364 fr instead of 365 is.

I remember reading an interesting story about an FR-capped flame tank getting an unlucky 25% resist crit for around 14-15k or so. Was enough to convince me to go out of the way to get both FR capped and uncrittable. And yes, resilience is very good for that considering that avoidance is useless for most of the flame damage you take on this fight.

18k buffed hp is fine, just be careful about where you stand. Chromatic wonder is nice if you're tanking the second flame, otherwise I'd go with blinding light for threat. If you're worried about your health, tank the second flame and focus on getting your hp as high as you can while remaining FR capped and uncrittable.
Correct, crits can still be very mean. It's just not as bad as not being fr capped.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:52 pm

tbh, those "14-15k" resisted crits, are when you move him out of range from the glaive?
On our earlier attempts we were kiting them so that the tanks were 1 "step" from eachother and both of the elementals started hitting like trucks suddenly.

Was wondering how do you handle beam calling and melee? Melee kept complaining that "I'm burning them non-stop" (My target is first kill). We had the warrior on illidan call out where the beams are coming, but if everything around you is green then can you move for a moment into raid and then back or too risky? (flame patch in middle of raid)
Seloei

Eye beams troubles

Postby jojolee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:14 pm

I'm having a hard time spotting the eye beams and moving the right way to get out of them. First I went too far out from the kiting path and caused an enrage. Next I went inside the circle and hosed our melee.

Our mt can't see the eye beams, so I'm on my own to spot them. Any tips? I have my spell detail down and my camera max, but it always seems to split the kiting path and come right at me. I'm not sure how to avoid it besides going into the circle or coming out. Or is there a better spot to start at?

I saw the post about the 3 "safe" spots, but if you're kiting, how do you hang out there?

Thanks for any info.
jojolee

Postby Tiandelin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:00 am

If melee are taking damage from flames on the ground or the elemental, it's their own fault and they should back off. Phase 2 is not melee-friendly, and they will probably not be able to dps the whole time. Now with that out of the way...

For eye beams, move to the outside if they're coming from the side you're on (north/south), otherwise move to the inside. If you're at the warglaive, just move outward from it, since the beam paths always cross it. Be careful not to flame the raid, though if they're coming from the other side, that gives you a few moments to wait for flame breath. Don't be afraid to stand in blazes if you need to, but let the healers know what's up, and try not to stand in a double blaze.

Remember that you just have to stay within a certain distance of one of the warglaives to prevent the flames from charging. You can move out from the circle as long as your healers still have range on you (you can test the limits to get an idea before the fight). Stepping into the circle is a definite no-no, though.

Also, what's up with your MT, jojo? Ours calls out whose side has the beam, and it's the perfect job for him since he's not really doing much else at that point. Any reason why he can't see the beam?
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Seloei » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:07 am

So basicly, it was melee being stupid as usual when they were dieing like i was afraid.

But... i was talking with a few from the only other guild on our server whos gotten illidan and they said they don't kite him. They just assign 2 healers on each tank and spam heal through it. With only dodging the beams if they come near the glaives.

Is that a "shortcut for people who can't move" or something else?
I was under the impression the green patches stacked on the ground, so you would get a 5x1250 dot ticking in the end?
Seloei

Postby Worldie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:06 pm

In theory you shouldn't get more than 3 patches at same time
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple