Remove Advertisements

Gruul's OT

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Cosmoz » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:33 pm

do the dps use pvp gear?
they the dps have a pvp spec?
most common problem ever, at least on a pvp server.
the dps difference in PVP/PVE gear is HUGE. even full epic s1 pvp gear wont do a good job in gruuls. If they somehow could get the hit from other items, yes, but not pure pvp gear.
Cosmoz

Postby dmok » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:54 am

Cosmoz wrote:do the dps use pvp gear?
the dps difference in PVP/PVE gear is HUGE. even full epic s1 pvp gear wont do a good job in gruuls.

I think hunters are the sole exception to this. I've seen a BM hunter pull out 1000dps in full S1 glad gear.
dmok

Postby DT- » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:06 am

my little 2 cents:
1. OT-pally - nonsence, it`s better to be MT or heal in prot spec (my pally have kara-gear and have 1400-1500 +heal in prot spec, and 10k+ of mana and can spam flash of light constantly)
2. PvP gear and spec depends by brains and hands (my 1st char is 3*s3 geared BM-hunt (full PvP spec with imp dodge and only 1 badge crossbow, other items is PvP), I`m outdamage all t4-t5-badge geared dps at grull) and last time my little hunt tank him for 3 strikes at 1% till we down him with random party (40% avoidance is cool)

P.S. 50% wipes comes from individual mistakes, other 50% from stupid RL, and only 1% is luck.
Some raid leaders can`t think wide.. all classes have to chat with RL and say about their strong and weak sides (it`s about ot-pally gg.. and noPvP gear in raid)
DT-

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:55 am

If the RL and healers are quick on their feet and you have a spriest, it's fun to overaggro druids om 2nd threat! :D
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby DexterBelgium » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:51 am

Comment from my healer (pally) at grow 11 of Gruul (right after I LoHed), while I was offtanking:

Dex, could you stop getting hit by a train, plx, thanks.

Hehe. Kept me up, tho, and at Grow 12 he was dead.

Hurtful strike is hurtful. (That meme comes in handy for once) :D
DexterBelgium

Postby Truthiness » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:52 pm

Noelle wrote:Our make up is usually six healers, four prot specced tanks, a feral Druid and the rest are DPS.

Too many tanks IMO
Truthiness

Postby Neara » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:24 pm

DT- wrote:my little 2 cents:
1. OT-pally - nonsence

OT-pally is perfectly fine. I've run Gruul only 2 times with my pally with PuGs and in the two different PuGs the Raidleader was a retard imho, he took the Warrior for maintank and the Feral druid for OT (which in one of the 2 runs was himself) told the 2nd Prot warrior and me to just don't stand in the way. Well as I was bored and had nothing better to do, i took my Mana Potions out and tried to keep up with the other tank and with nearly none dmg taken (some shatter and some cave-ins which i left a little later when i should :D ) I stayed 3rd in Omen from 100% to 0%. I really would like to know how easy it would be to stay 2nd if i'd really get some dmg and needed healing.
Neara

Postby Talmus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:50 pm

I had a thought about OT'ing there...our raid leader told me and the druid tank to fight it out for second in threat. I was WAY ahead for the first 5-6 grows and then all of a sudden I'm behind by about 50k threat. It's obvious that the druid taunted to catch up with the MT and at that point I was done unless I decided to taunt. Now I don't want to screw up healing assignments/mob positioning/etc by taunting off of the MT but it got me thinking...taunting would be one heck of an easy way to stay ahead of the rest of the raid on threat.

What would happen if I waited until the MT had a HUGE threat lead, bubbled, then taunted? If I'm not mistaken, I would get threat to match the MT but would not get attacked by Grull. Someone else might eat one shot but it wouldn't kill them at the growth I'm talking about (maybe somewhere in the 4-6 range). After Righteous Defense is finished I could cancel the bubble and will have gained a good 60-100k of threat in the process. I'm thinking this would work GREAT but I want to make sure there's not something I'm missing about the mechanic here before I go and do something stupid.
Talmus

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:12 pm

Talmus wrote:I had a thought about OT'ing there...our raid leader told me and the druid tank to fight it out for second in threat. I was WAY ahead for the first 5-6 grows and then all of a sudden I'm behind by about 50k threat. It's obvious that the druid taunted to catch up with the MT and at that point I was done unless I decided to taunt. Now I don't want to screw up healing assignments/mob positioning/etc by taunting off of the MT but it got me thinking...taunting would be one heck of an easy way to stay ahead of the rest of the raid on threat.

Gruul's immune to taunt.
Talmus wrote:
What would happen if I waited until the MT had a HUGE threat lead, bubbled, then taunted? If I'm not mistaken, I would get threat to match the MT but would not get attacked by Grull. Someone else might eat one shot but it wouldn't kill them at the growth I'm talking about (maybe somewhere in the 4-6 range). After Righteous Defense is finished I could cancel the bubble and will have gained a good 60-100k of threat in the process. I'm thinking this would work GREAT but I want to make sure there's not something I'm missing about the mechanic here before I go and do something stupid.
Gruul's immune to taunt.

Plus, except for fights with taunt gimmicks, taunting doesn't give add threat, it replaces your current threat with the one the player you taunted off has.
If you have 50k threat and taunt off a player with 70k threat, you get to 70k threat and build up from there.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Talmus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Talmus wrote:I had a thought about OT'ing there...our raid leader told me and the druid tank to fight it out for second in threat. I was WAY ahead for the first 5-6 grows and then all of a sudden I'm behind by about 50k threat. It's obvious that the druid taunted to catch up with the MT and at that point I was done unless I decided to taunt. Now I don't want to screw up healing assignments/mob positioning/etc by taunting off of the MT but it got me thinking...taunting would be one heck of an easy way to stay ahead of the rest of the raid on threat.

Gruul's immune to taunt.
Talmus wrote:
Gruul's immune to taunt.

Plus, except for fights with taunt gimmicks, taunting doesn't give add threat, it replaces your current threat with the one the player you taunted off has.
If you have 50k threat and taunt off a player with 70k threat, you get to 70k threat and build up from there.

I'm highly confused then on how this druid absolutely shot past me in threat. It literally went from me being up by about 20k threat to me being behind by about 50k in a single growth. Maybe it was just some wonderful Omen bugginess then. :lol:
Talmus

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:32 pm

probably
and remember that druids have op threat generation.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Talmus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:48 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:probably
and remember that druids have op threat generation.

It was just the way he shot up that made me think of taunt. He was way behind and then all of a sudden even with the MT covering a gap of 50-70k in a single growth. Nice to know there's no trick to it though...I'd rather have him OT anyways and I'll just heal. MT or healing there is a heck of a lot easier than OT'ing and I end up chugging mana pots like no tomorrow when I'm OT.
Talmus

Previous

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag