Remove Advertisements

Fire Resistance Gear on Dragonhawk?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Fire Resistance Gear on Dragonhawk?

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:38 pm

Is this even worth it? I logged on to WoW this morning and my raid leader sort of... gently nudged me into picking up some fire resistance gear for our Sunday raid of ZA. I've pugged ZA and we didn't have any problems on Dragonhawk aside from the warrior tank ganking it during the last 20% of the boss' life. Meaning, I wasn't dying from fire problems. But when I went in with my guild on Sunday, we kept dying on... who knows. Multiple things. My question is... does fire resistance gear matter much during this fight? If I'm tanking down all the dragon hatchlings and I end up with 10-20 stacks of the fire debuff, how much is a fire resist set actually going to help me? (I realize that statement alone makes me sound very stupid, but I was under the impression that the debuffs only cause damage once I get hit by one of those glowing eggs or a firewall.)
Last edited by Nikachelle on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:46 pm

It's mostly to reduce the number of stacks on you. It's proportional: less fr = more stacks and less chance to resist his breath and bombs. Fire resist trivializes it as the stacks are cut to like 5 and even if he breathes on your face, you won't feel a thing. Same goes for the bombs.

If you have a capped FR set, go for it. If not...whatever, use what you have. Just save the bubble for after the first half goes down and you can ninjacleanse it.

I found out that as long as I keep cleansing myself on every free GCD my issues are really really smaller with the breath.

^- this all thinking by tanking a full wing at a time, btw. While taking smaller numbers, FR barely helps.
Last edited by Snake-Aes on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Re: Fire Resistance Gear on Dragonhawk?

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Is this even worth it? I logged on to WoW this morning and my raid leader sort of... gentle nudged me into picking up some fire resistance gear for our Sunday raid of ZA. I've pugged ZA and we didn't have any problems on Dragonhawk aside from the warrior tank ganking it during the last 20% of the boss' life. Meaning, I wasn't dying from fire problems. But when I went in with my guild on Sunday, we kept dying on... who knows. Multiple things. My question is... does fire resistance gear matter much during this fight? If I'm tanking down all the dragon hatchlings and I end up with 10-20 stacks of the fire debuff, how much is a fire resist set actually going to help me?

I'm not sure whether I'd go out and get FR gear specificallt for this fight, but I've found that wearing 100-150 unbuffed FR certainly makes it that much easier. How many to you currently tank at a time?

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

I have no fire resistance whatsoever. I think I've got some random trinket from Dire Maul that does like +10 fire resistance. And I was ninja cleansing between packs.

With my guild, I only tanked about 8-10 dragons at a time. With the pug, I was doing an entire side in one go.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I have no fire resistance whatsoever. I think I've got some random trinket from Dire Maul that does like +10 fire resistance. And I was ninja cleansing between packs.

With my guild, I only tanked about 8-10 dragons at a time. With the pug, I was doing an entire side in one go.

Well, if it works it works, but it's far less risky to tank a lot of them with a bit of FR gear. Rather than the flame wall or the bombs, both of which are easy to avoid, the bigger danger is getting randomly taken out by the bosses cone flame breath.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:03 pm

Alright, I'll take a look into picking up some FR gear. I've never really looked into any kind of particular resistance gear, so this might be a challenge. I hope it doesn't require me altering most of my pieces. :?

Thanks for all the help you two. :)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:05 pm

It's not much. Pretty much just the badge gear. Staying defense capped is the only challenge, but you don't need to be FR capped by any stretch, so just pick what you can.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:51 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:It's not much. Pretty much just the badge gear. Staying defense capped is the only challenge, but you don't need to be FR capped by any stretch, so just pick what you can.

Ah shit. Badge gear eh? I'm about 30 badges from buying the 2.4 chest (yeah yeah, I've got stoic guardian, but it's got so little defense on it that it's causing me to struggle with other items...) so I'm not eager to spend badges on FR gear that'll be useful in ONE fight. But thanks for pointing me in the right direction. At least it gives me a leg up when I start cracking into it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:53 pm

Flamebane helm with +fr is like 60 fire resist. the Champion of The Naaru ring is very awesome too.
The whole badge gear together is about 100 badges and 200 fr
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:54 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:It's not much. Pretty much just the badge gear. Staying defense capped is the only challenge, but you don't need to be FR capped by any stretch, so just pick what you can.

Ah shit. Badge gear eh? I'm about 30 badges from buying the 2.4 chest (yeah yeah, I've got stoic guardian, but it's got so little defense on it that it's causing me to struggle with other items...) so I'm not eager to spend badges on FR gear that'll be useful in ONE fight. But thanks for pointing me in the right direction. At least it gives me a leg up when I start cracking into it.

FWIW, FR gear is also useful on Anetheron and Illidan if you're planning on doing either of those at some point. The good news is that compared to newer gear the FR stuff is cheap....100 badges gets you all four pieces, just 2 of them will run you 40-60.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Achtung » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:38 pm

I have a FR set, and I always use it when I'm tanking these adds.
It makes the fight even easier than it usually is and if you're running a timed run with only 2 healers it helps the healers out a lot.

If you don't have the badges for it, and you can tank a whole side easily enough as is, then I guess you don't need to worry. If you want to tank the adds on Anetheron or Illidan's Flames then you'll need a FR set at some stage.
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:42 pm

FR on dragonhawk boss is like insurance.

It doesn't matter until you need it.

I bring my set because we let one of the first hatchers hatch everything. this approach may or may not be apropriate for your raid.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Blutreich » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:47 pm

i had a surplus of badges for a while and bought the FR plate so i use it. This leaves me critable, but seriously does a 500 crit really hurt that bad.
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby Truthiness » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:41 pm

First of all don't forget to bubble out of the debuffs once you have killed about half the dragonhawks. Considering that you are posting on these boards, I am going to assume you are at least competent enough to know that. Are you doing the dragonhawks in 2 or 4 waves? If you're doing it in 2 waves, the problem is typically with your healers or your AoE. Either your healers don't have the juice to keep you up or your AoEers aren't killing the dragonhawks fast enough and you get too many debuffs on you. There really isn't much you can do and fire resist gear isn't going to do that much. If that is the case, I would suggest dividing the dragonhawks into more waves.

This is a pretty simple thing to accomplish. After half of the dragonhawks have been released, call for the dps to kill the hatcher. The next time the hatchers come up, finish off the one side. The next time you do half of the remaining side. Then, finally, you do the remaining half of the remaining side. It may not be as awesome and bad ass, but it is a hell of a lot easier on your healers. The down side is that you should finish up the dragonhawks right around when the soft enrage begins, meaning your dps is going to be distracted by the dragonhawks for a long period. This means that your tank is going to have to deal with getting hit pretty hard for a lot longer. However, with the dragonhawks down, you can switch to off healing, which should alleviate the extra healing strain of the soft enrage.
Truthiness

Postby Seloei » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:19 am

FR gear on dragonhawk is invaluable on timed runs. You don't have the time or the luxury to wait for "4 waves". The hatcher pops a full side, they are taken out and the hatcher also. Before the next side can be fully spawned, the boss will be at <35% and you have yet again a full side coming.

When i forget FR gear i quite often dip quite low and i have to avoid the boss at all costs after the second side and bubble is on cooldown. With FR gear i can just slap a consecrate on the ground, judge the first and tank the full side with little trouble.

It's not a "make or break" set for when you are progressing, but it can trivialize the fight.
Seloei

Next

Return to Zul'aman