Remove Advertisements

Can you tank heroics in your raid tanking gear?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Can you tank heroics in your raid tanking gear?

Postby Seloth » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:39 pm

I've read the guides from the forum and theyre great. What I was wondering is if you are able to successfully tank h's in raid gear? My char is Seloth on KilJaeden, type in Lucipher and search for the one on KJ then replace the name in the address bar. Would that gear be close to good enough for doing heroics?
Seloth

Postby Neejo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:08 pm

give me one good reason why it shouldn't
(for the record: thats a yes, though tweaking might be useful)
Ebann `Protection Paladin ` Shattered Hand - EU
Neejo

Postby Seloth » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:14 pm

I was just reading the gear guide and it has different gear listed for tanking heroics/5 mans and raids. Just wondering if it was viable to tank heroics in your raid tanking gear.
Seloth

Postby ldeboer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Seloth wrote:I was just reading the gear guide and it has different gear listed for tanking heroics/5 mans and raids. Just wondering if it was viable to tank heroics in your raid tanking gear.

Yeah you can it's more a problem of mana starvation and having to drink after every pull. You can pull more or turn around etc but your damage spikes all over the place. You can also find yourself without mana at a bad time so you find you need lots of pots.
ldeboer

Postby Colette » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:07 pm

I collect spell damage rings/trinkets/neck pieces when dps doesn't need the drops and swap those for avoidance/mitigation pieces when I tank heroics. Ups my threat so I don't have to spend as much mana and I take a little more damage too.
Colette

Postby Seloei » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:55 pm

Im too lazy to swap into heroics gear so i just roll with raid gear.
Solution not to go oom : Manage your seals/consecrate and pull moar mobs!

Only a select few heroics where you need to pull just one group at a time due to randomness factors. Otherwise you can chain-pull from start to end. With a raid geared tank+healer you can go from start to end without a single drink and pot, maybe stoping once in a while on bosses to get max mana.
Seloei

Postby Seloth » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:11 am

I've got a few of the PVP Rep pieces mainly because I was able to socket them with better stats than what I had on before. I was stupid and vendored or DE'd alot of my quest rewards that might have been better than what I have so I'm mainly after drops. Do you think with the gear/stats I have at the moment I would be able to tank most/all REGULAR instances. I'm mainly wanting to tank Arc/Bot/Mech/BM/SV for armor+rep so I can get some better upgrades. It doesn't show it on wowarmory but I also have an extra 30% block from Holy Shield (for the none pallys who might be looking :) ) Thanks for your help!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Seloth
Seloth

Postby Seloei » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:42 am

do you have 8k health? do you keep righteous fury on and use consecrate/seal/judge and taunts when needed?

Yes you can do any normal instance as soon as you hit 70. Their all about execution and rarely its the tanks fault (unless you pull what is not meant to). Quite a few you could even solo.

heroics however... theres plenty of guides around to say when/how ready for those
Seloei

Postby Seloth » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:48 am

Thanks Sel!

I'm planning on running SV and the CoT instances alot over the next couple days to get some rep and gear upgrades. ATM my Def is 450 which I'm working on the most. I'm loving tanking so far, it beats the pants off DPS'ing on my lock.
Seloth

Postby Lakirby » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:39 am

Doing heroics with 700 spelldmg is fun :)
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:07 am

Yes you can, just need to spam X
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:05 am

Worldie wrote:Yes you can, just need to spam X

X is indeed our friend. Its quite scary at first, but then your healers get used to it.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby samsara » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:47 am

Another way to avoid drinking after every group is just eat more damage in not keeping up holy shield all the time, so you get more mana back.

Of course you should do this only if you know the dungeon very well an can handle the dmg, i got about 17k HP selfbuffed and 500-700 spelldmg so it's not a big deal to "forget" holy shield from time to time.

It also depents on the group, if you do the heroic for a random group with bad equip just because you need that fucking badge for the epic gem of your pvp-twink :) you probably should go the normal way with holy shield up all time, but if you have a t6-equal equip healer it's not a big problem.

Edit:
As a friend of mine needed quite a lot badges we went through many heroics the last few days. I changed my playstyle quite radical and avoid to use consceration, and if i have to use it i use rank 2 or 1. Also the bloodelf-race-thing is nice if you do it on cooldown (about 400-500 mana every 2 minutes for free). Even with raidgear i only have to drink now after every 4th or 5th mobgroup and then only just a bit (until half of mana is full). It more fun and holyshield with aura does enough thread if your dd's are not brainafk and start bombing the second you pull a group.
Last edited by samsara on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
samsara

Postby inthedrops » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:32 am

I couldn't possibly do a heroic in full raid boss gear. I gear down a lot. 22% dodge, 18% parry, 18% block or thereabouts. Maybe 14.5k health unbuffed but with 18k armor. But I also end up with about 850 spell damage. Depending on the instance I tend to do more total damage than some non AoE or not well geared dps classes.

I occasionally take a beating but I don't have to drink all too often (maybe I sit down to drink 5 times per run).
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics