Gear Priorites for Trash Tanking

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Gear Priorites for Trash Tanking

Postby Bigmak » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:02 pm

First off, Hi! I've read maintankadin for about a month now finding very useful information, but have only until now needed to ask anything.

My guild just started Hyjal, and I have a few questions.

Is two prot pollies an advantage or a detriment? And why?

Should I be trying to focus gear stats on block value(Should I pick up T5 stuff, even though I have 2.4 Badges Chest/Legs, etc?)?

If so, what's a good amount of block value?

Or should I be ok if I just chill in regular tanking gear?
Bigmak

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Either is fine, really. I personally prefer to use a high block value / block rating set for any wave without Abominations, and swap in a normal set for the ones with Abominations. Some simply use normal gear because of the lack of damage taken (and incoming mana) on the waves without Aboms (generally the easy ones anyway), but I just sit down to take a few crits for some mana back.

Anyway, 500 or more block value is good. With around 700 or so, you'll occasionally see full blocks, and with more than that, you'll see them often.

Here's my block rating / block value set:
http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/12743
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Seloei » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 pm

block value helps, but too much of it is bad also. Gibbing on the abos/necros/banshees and going oom on ghouls.

If you can then pick up the t5 pieces since they are insanely good for aoe tanking (high threat, and block value/rating) making them the best pieces for the job.

Just grab free action potions at start so you dont die off abom knockdowns while the other tanks nab em off you. Rest just use your normal tanking gear and unless the healers are asleep, you shouldn't even get close to dieing (no abos/necros on you that is)

2 prot palas are more of "hinderance" really, since the one who has more spelldamage and can spam consecrate more will have all the trash, and the other prot pala will have near 0. If you are going to use 2 prot palas, go in normal tank gear or max SD gear on both and taunt off the other one if you can't grab any at all.
Seloei

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:55 pm

Yes, I forgot to answer that question. Two prot paladins is kind of a pain due to the AoE nature of our threat, and the taunt working on three (unselectable) mobs. This makes it tough for the Paladin to taunt Aboms off the main Paladin (Either pulling off Ghouls, or three Aboms). It's better to have druid or warrior offtanks.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Anorian » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:54 am

i just tank it with max hp/armor/speldmg set,

ghouls &spiders arent gonig to kill you with 1k ish hits. Abo knockdowns will,

I recently replaced another prot paladin in a guild i just entered and they were surprised about how less i was to dying compared to the previous who had been stacking BR + BV.

i run 21k hp 20k armor and 550 ish spelldmg, you dont go oom and all trash sticks on me like glue :D
Anorian

Re: Gear Priorites for Trash Tanking

Postby lusisia » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:28 am

Bigmak wrote:First off, Hi! I've read maintankadin for about a month now finding very useful information, but have only until now needed to ask anything.

My guild just started Hyjal, and I have a few questions.

Is two prot pollies an advantage or a detriment? And why?

Should I be trying to focus gear stats on block value(Should I pick up T5 stuff, even though I have 2.4 Badges Chest/Legs, etc?)?

If so, what's a good amount of block value?

Or should I be ok if I just chill in regular tanking gear?

We ran it last night for the first time with 3 prot pallies in a PUG of sorts. All three of the prot pallies were in nothing beyond ZA drops and badge gear so we all decided to wear our max stamina sets and forgo any special high BV or whatever. (In fact everyone in there was from a 10-man running guild)

It actually worked out really well. We had a couple of ferals swap to bears for the aboms. Ended up downing Rage and getting to Anatheron.

I asked the healers at the end if we should possibly swap on of us to holy spec the next time we try this because of all the agro bouncing and they said they actually liked it with the three prot pallies because we never had any stray mobs.

EDIT: I remember on a few pulls having a couple of aboms, crypt fiends and some ghouls on me. Wasn't to bad at all. Wearing the gear I have on now.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby argentevenin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:39 pm

oddly i jsut go in my normall set theese days...although when guild first started i used a BV/BR set
ssc: 6/6 TK: 4/4 BT: 6/9 MH: 5/5
R.I.P the firm :<
argentevenin

Re: Gear Priorites for Trash Tanking

Postby antiy4ho0 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:33 pm

My guild is also starting Hyjal, we've done it the last 3 weeks.

I run in normal gear, I feel like stacking a lot of BV is just going to leave me OOM early, and get me killed later when I try to block abom knockdowns ;P I usually wear my max threat gear until we get Necros, then I put on more of my boss gear, but I keep the holy damage cloak from kara trash on until abom waves.

This week we had a second prot pally with me, and he wasn't really tanking much. He didn't have as much spell damage as me so he wasn't able to hold many mobs, and due to the nature of our taunt he wasn't ideal for pulling aboms off of me. IMO you don't need or want more than one tankadin, ferals are great and so are prot warriors.

For me it seems like the biggest danger is sleepy healers on necro waves and sleepy tanks slacking off and leaving me with all the aboms. Also make sure your AOE doesn't start until YOU call for it, I usually give my self a 1 1/2 consecrates on abom waves since abominations have more HP. Other waves they can usually start much sooner.
antiy4ho0

Postby ldeboer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:49 pm

Same as most of the comments above I found stacking block value really terrible I would go OOM and be potting every cooldown just to keep consecrate up and get smashed by stuns from aboms.

Stacking dodge and stam works much better you do take moderate damage from trash and avoid alot of stuns and when you do get stunned have HP for healers to save you.

2nd pally tank is ez-mode just bunch up together and adom stun death of one tank doesn't mean a wipe. You will find this is the most common cause of a wipe is the OT's not pulling enough off the pally tank and a abon stun death resulting.

What we mean by a stun death is the pally may have 6 or more mobs and 1 or 2 aboms on him. The abom stuns him and you basically get smashed by the mobs because you have no mitigation except for armor for that short period. Your health plummets and if your healers dont react with instant casts and shields you are dead. I have gone from 22K to zero in 3 seconds.

The final comment about pally tanks is they output huge dps on the trash I have a going joke about being considered dps because of this only locks and mages will out do them here are webstats of a 2 pally tanks unfortunately its combined with a mag run after which I bailed from but it gives you an idea usually the locks are much higher like 4K on just hijal trash.

http://wowwebstats.com/ec3ur4h6hrau3?s=trash
ldeboer

Return to Mt. Hyjal