Spell damage for BT

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:35 am

Lakirby wrote:Just for the record - pretty much every tanking gear setup I have has over 400 unbuffed spelldmg. $deity bless T6 gloves.

$deity->getName()." bless T6 gloves.";

And yeah, when surviving stops being "emergencial", you don't have to worry much.

Once your dpsers have full t6...<shudder> You don't want less than 500. At all.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Varies per fight, on trash i use full threat gear where im at 550 unbuffed. On bosses it varies between that and 450. Finding it quite hard to go lower than that...

And seriously, go either grind exalted Thrallmar/Lower City or do za/H Mag T or MH. Using a blue weapon in a higher than T4 content is... is... embarassing :s
Seloei

Postby Worldie » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:13 pm

I remind having done countless normal SH back then, just cause i felt guilty for being using Continuum blade on Kaelthas :\
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Afraithe » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:09 am

I run with around 750 something holy spelldamage when we do BT (+trinket from SSC), but 500-600 or so in Sunwell.
Afraithe

Postby iwillpunishu » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:39 am

Afraithe wrote:I dunno if any of you have played Destro a Warlock at some decent level, but a lock pulling aggro from you isn't something you should measure your success by, if the warlock gets a crit on the first shadow bolt and another 8k crit on the second, he will be screwed. As for AoE, not much of a problem against any class in my opinion, only time they manage to get aggro is when some mobs come into AoE late and their seeds go off on them. The spider mobs in MH is a good example of that, they stop before they reach you to cast some stuff, then walk into the AoE.

This is actually a pet peave of mine, don't you think that if the warlock knows there is a chance he might do this.....maybe he should wait 3 more seconds and then start dpsing? I went into an expletive filled rant about our warlocks one night during trash in Mount Hyjal, afterwards we had the smoothest run we have ever had in there. I blame those fucking damage meters, everyone wants to be on top.
iwillpunishu

Postby inthedrops » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:46 am

iwillpunishu wrote:This is actually a pet peave of mine, don't you think that if the warlock knows there is a chance he might do this.....maybe he should wait 3 more seconds and then start dpsing? I went into an expletive filled rant about our warlocks one night during trash in Mount Hyjal, afterwards we had the smoothest run we have ever had in there. I blame those fucking damage meters, everyone wants to be on top.

SB cast time is 2.5 seconds. Warlock might be at max range casting SB's. SB's have an animation and take some time to make it to their target before the lock can see how much damage it did. Meanwhile, he's almost done casting his next one.

If he's at max range he has barely a nanosecond to determine that the first one was huge and he needs to cancel his second. It got better when in a recent patch blizz increased the speed the SB flies in the air.

But that's why it happens.

The solution is for the lock to wait a bit longer before casting the first SB in case this happens. That's why most destruction locks still start by casting corruption. Even though it's usually worthless it's a the perfect delay needed for the tank to get agro.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Lowgrus » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:53 am

one thing i figured out when AoE tanking in hyjal with 700 SD and they still pulled off of me was to actually do like a warrior does and tab target. WHO KNEW :D.

But yeah I just look to see if warlocks i.e the purple bar is catching up to me and hit excorcism and judge on that target, then hit tab again tab tab, oh this one is catching up here, bam.

Worked wonders, but as far as well my shadowbolt crit excuse, well did you know your shadowbolt could possibly crit? YES so whats the solution w8 to throw another shadowbolt till you know the crit wont pull aggro. DUH.
Lowgrus

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:55 am

what drops said is true. Destro locks have insane burst damage potential(like ret) and have to be careful on the beginning of the fight.

ALso, mind you, basically any DPS can steal off a tank if they wish so. Filter off those tards when considering your tps. Your job is to make the dps' job easier, not to do their job.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby berbo2 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:54 am

.....make the dps' job easier, not to do their job.

Meh 1.2k+ DPS in MH feels GOOOD :)
berbo2

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:10 am

berbo2 wrote:
.....make the dps' job easier, not to do their job.

Meh 1.2k+ DPS in MH feels GOOOD :)
That it is, but 1200 dps won't kill those abominations :D
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Consecrate » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:57 am

enbee wrote:
Knaughty wrote:For fights where even this isn't enough threat (Gurtog) I get myself stuck in a caster group and ask for Wrath of Air.

You don't need excessive amounts of spelldamage for gurtogg, the tank who goes first isn't supposed to go all out, use the first p1 to get a rotation set up!

With clever use of trinkets and bubble it's possible to tank 80% of this fight alone.

We take 3 tanks and I start, by the first fel rage i've only got 2 debuffs usually, which expire half way through the fel rage, leaving me time to build up again on debuffs, by the 2nd fel rage if i'm unlucky i'll have about 8, then I will pop 2 avoidance trinkets and the debuffs will drop off during the 3rd p1.

After this if i'm unlucky and at about 8 debuffs, I will bubble and this will drop debuffs again.

Usually the only other tank that gets a look in is our feral druid, and usually only because i've gotten a knockback (but he usually stops TPS to let me get it back because he has a fuckton of debuffs).

Our prot warrior does abismal TPS and thus never ever gets targetted.
Probably the worst named paladin ever.
Consecrate

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:15 am

Consecrate wrote:
enbee wrote:
Knaughty wrote:For fights where even this isn't enough threat (Gurtog) I get myself stuck in a caster group and ask for Wrath of Air.

You don't need excessive amounts of spelldamage for gurtogg, the tank who goes first isn't supposed to go all out, use the first p1 to get a rotation set up!

With clever use of trinkets and bubble it's possible to tank 80% of this fight alone.

We take 3 tanks and I start, by the first fel rage i've only got 2 debuffs usually, which expire half way through the fel rage, leaving me time to build up again on debuffs, by the 2nd fel rage if i'm unlucky i'll have about 8, then I will pop 2 avoidance trinkets and the debuffs will drop off during the 3rd p1.

After this if i'm unlucky and at about 8 debuffs, I will bubble and this will drop debuffs again.

Usually the only other tank that gets a look in is our feral druid, and usually only because i've gotten a knockback (but he usually stops TPS to let me get it back because he has a fuckton of debuffs).

Our prot warrior does abismal TPS and thus never ever gets targetted.
Bloodboil specifically will be more threat friendly with avoidance trinkets than threat trinkets.. because of his threat dump being avoidable. But it's like you said. Druids and paladins are op, warriors are trash to tank this boss threat wise.
The less debuffs you have, too, the less you need the bubble..Typically I AW twice during that fight. Early on to go to the top after the warrior has his only moment in the fight, and after to recover from a bewilderment at low debuffs(2-3)
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Lother » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:59 am

enbee wrote:

Thats not exactly true. Paladins have a distinct advantage for gurtog.

I always open up the fight, push as much TPS as I possibly can and tank it to the first Fel Rage (having anywhere from 15-18 stacks on me). Right at the switch I Bubble to clear the entire stack of debuffs. I then continue to tank him after he switches back while the Hunters start putting up chain missdirects on the other tanks. I hold him until about 10 stacks are on me(and forbearance wears off) and BOP myself, waiting out the entire duration. At this point the other tanks have caught up and we begin the rotation as normal.

If I dont go all out threat from the start, there's no way I can hold him through all the knockbacks, etc. This strategy works really well.
Lother

Postby hopps » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:08 pm

I did that once lother...got to 28 stacks before phase 1 though, damn the luck! I find that if I bop myself a good bit before a fel enrage I will run to one side or the other of BB to get over the 130% threshold (8-10 yards or wtv) and make sure my debuffs go away, but thats only if its tanks I trust and there ahead of the dps and you don't have any retarded dps that stand at the side...

EDIT to stay semi on topic!:

oh and I run about 500 spell dmg unbuffed and switch around from hex head to avoidance trinkets, use shattrah flasks all the way to mother, I lash tank her so I try to time a fort flask for her and council, since imo the extra hitpoints can help rogue tanking, had to tank without a healer on a few phases when they are slow and get poisoned/wrathed and die

and then chromatic wonder for tanking flames, but spell dmg is like 500 buffed...never had a melee pull off me but range can if there retarded...rehfield reports me @ 650 tps which is even w/ our druid and warriors but I out gear the offtankers.

we run with an extra enhance shaman in our tank group, and he totem twists for me.
hopps

Postby Frickit » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:27 am

iwillpunishu wrote:
Afraithe wrote:I dunno if any of you have played Destro a Warlock at some decent level, but a lock pulling aggro from you isn't something you should measure your success by, if the warlock gets a crit on the first shadow bolt and another 8k crit on the second, he will be screwed. As for AoE, not much of a problem against any class in my opinion, only time they manage to get aggro is when some mobs come into AoE late and their seeds go off on them. The spider mobs in MH is a good example of that, they stop before they reach you to cast some stuff, then walk into the AoE.

This is actually a pet peave of mine, don't you think that if the warlock knows there is a chance he might do this.....maybe he should wait 3 more seconds and then start dpsing? I went into an expletive filled rant about our warlocks one night during trash in Mount Hyjal, afterwards we had the smoothest run we have ever had in there. I blame those fucking damage meters, everyone wants to be on top.

I had a lock pull after two seconds and after he got yelled at he screamed "How am I supposed to watch my threat?! I shoot him and I get agg!" Before I could say it myself someone was saying "Uhhh don't shoot"

and /agree damage meters are F T L> they make retards think they have a leg to stand on in situations that their tiny little brains can barely comprehend to begin with.

At bare minimum I run with 421 spell damage (usually more) with my T5 group and it feels a little low sometimes. We are going into BT/MH for the first time next week before we go back to Vashj wiping. I plan on buffing to well over 500.
Frickit

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple