Remove Advertisements

Difficulty stepping up to Heroics

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Difficulty stepping up to Heroics

Postby Ruhain » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:59 am

Hello All,

I have lurked on the site for a while and now have need to ask a question:

Below is my armoury page, I feel myself somewhat stuck for want of a better phrase, I can tank ‘normal’s’ fine, but when stepping to heroics I feel like I get hit to hard for even my BT equipped guild mates to keep me up, as you can see form the gear I have off tanked Kara on occasion what are peoples thoughts on how I can improve.

Could it be a bit of lag causing holy shield to drop or something similar? Or simply a lack of stamina at this stage?

Many Thanks Ruhain

Stat summary:

Armour 53.17% damage reduction
HP 11917
Block 25.33
Dodge 17.47
Parry 16.76

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... e&n=Ruhain
Ruhain

Postby Lakirby » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:34 am

Probably a mixture of a lack of stamina and a lack of armor - you could really do with a better shield than the one you have.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby towelliee » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:38 am

You need to definitely upgrade your shield. Run heriocs with a good healer. Try mixing in Priest with Lock so you can get stam stam and you Kings should put you to about 14k or so.

Frankly the only way to upgrade your current gear is to keep running Kara for shield and other pieces like wrist from Attunesmen and such.

Looks lik your running Kara so save up 2 weeks of badges get the shield 33 badges I think and upgrade chest as well. Run SP/Ramps/UB and try to join in daily as a dps or non tank to just get the badges.

I was doing heriocs with that type of gear when I first started

Aim for shield and chest of stioc guardian for starts.

You be fine tell your healers to pony up and always bring CC
towelliee

Postby Lookit » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Regarding your shield, I would definitely save your badges and get either the SSO exalted rep shield or the S2 shieldwall, which has a tremendous amount of armor.

Regarding surviving, it's not an issue of holy shield dropping because mobs in heroics cannot crush, so unblocked attacks are not a big deal. You'll mainly want to increase your stamina and armor, as those are what increase your time to live, giving your healer that extra cushion of time to get a heal off.

The biggest thing you can do, however, to increase your survivability is to get your whole group working together to keep you alive. Get rogues to stun as much as possible, use all the CC you can, have a shaman use Grace of Air (yes, it really sucks to not have Wrath of Air, but more threat is useless if you are dead). If you're short on CC but have a lock/priest/warrior, just pull waaaay back so that you can safely keep a mob feared.

It sounds like if you're running with people in T6 that they are just used to being able to faceroll through heroics. But with a little more care I'm sure you guys will have no trouble.
Lookit

Postby Sober » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:02 am

Shield - first boss in SL has a nice sturdy shield, otherwise work on SSO exalted or the S2 one looks nice too

Run BM until you are blue in the face because you will want the head enchant and the Timewarden's Legs - much better than the Felsteel leg piece

Get all your gear enchanted - heavy knothide armor kits should really be the only way to go for gloves since either another enchant will give you more stam or more avoidance.

Ring - andormu's tear is awesome but try for the ring in Arc if you can stand to lose the avoidance for the 24 stam.

I can easily pull about the same hp as you with enchants (draenei female, ~11.5k hp) in almost full dungeon blues (only epics are Bracers of the Green Fortress, Wrynn Dynasty Legs w/ 30sta/10 agi kit and 3xSSoE and the libram). Armory has me at ret atm so just trust me.

Also, in general, maybe take heroics a little slower, because some mobs at your hp/armor will still hit you for 2.5-3k (Bogstroks are a good example) - not preferable to have them all up. Use CC, etc.
Sober

Postby Ruhain » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:38 am

Thanks Guys all sensable response, i will look into each of your suggestions!
Ruhain

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics