Re-speccing out of Parry after Uncrushable

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby Igrado » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:28 pm

Eggfoo wrote:
Igrado wrote:and never ever forget

18.9 Dodge Rating = 1% Dodge

31.5 Parry Rating = 1% Parry

That's not accurate anymore, they fixed Parry rating to be closer to 24.5 or somthing, there are new numbers out there. Dodge is still cheaper, but not by nearly as much anymore.

OK. Can you direct me to a verifiable source on this change or is there an authoritative voice (Lore, Joana, Thels) that can verify the new numbers (as exactly as possible) for us? That quote is direct from Dreamcrusher's "Pre-raid Tanking: Theories, Goals and the Gear to Get There". If this guide holds incorrect (changed) information, I'd really really like to verify it as I base a lot of decisions off the information therein.

I'm happy to be wrong on this, though sad to have not noticed the change :P but I'm sure you can understand my desire to affirm this.
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby Luthais » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:39 pm

Igrado wrote:
Eggfoo wrote:

That's not accurate anymore, they fixed Parry rating to be closer to 24.5 or somthing, there are new numbers out there. Dodge is still cheaper, but not by nearly as much anymore.

OK. Can you direct me to a verifiable source on this change or is there an authoritative voice (Lore, Joana, Thels) that can verify the new numbers (as exactly as possible) for us? That quote is direct from Dreamcrusher's "Pre-raid Tanking: Theories, Goals and the Gear to Get There". If this guide holds incorrect (changed) information, I'd really really like to verify it as I base a lot of decisions off the information therein.

I'm happy to be wrong on this, though sad to have not noticed the change :P but I'm sure you can understand my desire to affirm this.

From Wowwiki

and

Blizz patch 2.1 notes
Luthais <Pirates With No Pants> - Uther (US)
Luthais

Postby Igrado » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:02 pm

Thank you Luthias, I was able to find the following here.

The amount of parry rating needed to get 1% parry has been reduced by 25%.

... unfortunately I don't have time today to look into it further.
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby Luthais » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:08 pm

22.4 Parry Rating = 1% Parry @ level 70.
Luthais <Pirates With No Pants> - Uther (US)
Luthais

Postby Thels » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Or close thereof. The noted values are rounded down to one decimal (and for lvl 70 only of course).

Igrado wrote:an authoritative voice (Lore, Joana, Thels)

What made me special? :o
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Spart » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:13 pm

Adin wrote:Wow... I always thought the problem was that parried attacks made the mob hit again right away, I too didn't realise it was the other way around.

I love this forum. :D

/stops being afraid of too much parry on gear

Fun fact (or so I have been told... by far too many people) if you dodge your attack speed actually slows down. This works for a boss as well.
Spart

Postby Lore » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:21 pm

Spart wrote:
Adin wrote:Wow... I always thought the problem was that parried attacks made the mob hit again right away, I too didn't realise it was the other way around.

I love this forum. :D

/stops being afraid of too much parry on gear

Fun fact (or so I have been told... by far too many people) if you dodge your attack speed actually slows down. This works for a boss as well.

Not true. The animation can be slowed but if you get a swing timer mod and watch your combat log the damage is still dealt at the proper time.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Nerissa » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:42 am

Eggfoo wrote:

All it has to be is cheaper. As long as dodge is cheaper, dodge gems are still king when it comes to gemming up to uncrushable if you have to.
Nerissa

Postby Lonso » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:49 pm

This is area I looked at for pulling points from. I haven't been able to talk myself into it.

- Avoidance is good
- Allowing me to more easily stay uncrushable while in resist or mixed gear is good
- Accelerating my next attack is minimally good
- Pushing some of my block % off the combat table in normal gear is minimally bad

Again, the question is what could I get instead? There's no other talent I don't already have that is going to reduce my incoming damage as much as 5% avoidance. IMHO, there's no other reachable talent I don't already have that in any way comes close to making up for this loss in avoidance. (Crusader Strike would be sweet!)

The only other place to spend 5 points reducing incoming damage that I don't already have is Imp Devo Aura. I can't see 344 armor ever scaling to be better than 5% avoidance even when way beyond uncrushable.

The way I see it, 5/5 Deflection allows me greater flexibility in my gear choices. I've started swapping out avoidance trinkets for stamina, something I can't spec for more of. If we get that blessing that increases block value by a %, having 5/5 Deflection will allow me to stack more BV through gear selection.
Lonso

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations