Remove Advertisements

Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby vutharic » Sun May 18, 2008 1:51 am

How i always take care of this in my za is to get a hunter to put his slow trap on the ground and have mages frost nova from time to time, works wonders
4/6 ssc 3/4 tk 5/5 hyjal 5/9 bt - personal progression
to see my progression and some how to videos with a paladin tank
http://www.youtube.com/user/haws217
vutharic

Location: Underground lair, planning what evil things im gonna do to naj and akama....

Postby Linwe » Tue May 27, 2008 6:42 am

Easymode fight if your add tank has around 300 FR. Let one side of eggs fully hatch, drop frost trap, consecrate, aoe down adds. Bubble to dispel debuff. At your leisure, allow the other side to hatch, trap/consecrate - no more adds.

Nice thing about 300 FR - the bombs do very little damage.
Linwe

Postby arilink » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:14 pm

Is there a way those dragonhawks hatch before the soft enrage occurs and without a hatcher?

Today we had the unexplainable incidence that a few moments after the first full hatch on one side + teleport + aoe'ing suddenly those dragonhawks from the other side were joining as well.
Dps claimed that hatcher was really really dead and according to the first dead healer he said he was ganked by a huge bunch of hawks at once.

The soft enrage was far from being possible as his HP were >50%.
Btw. The soft enrage is now down to 20% HP wasn't it?
Last edited by arilink on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arilink

Postby dmok » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:25 pm

Did you remember to kill the hatcher after he hatched the one side's eggs? You kill one and let one by at the start ... but did you remember to kill the one after he hatched enough eggs?
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Lookit » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:40 pm

dmok wrote:Did you remember to kill the hatcher after he hatched the one side's eggs? You kill one and let one by at the start ... but did you remember to kill the one after he hatched enough eggs?

This is my guess as well. After they fully hatch their side, hatchers will head to the other side and start hatching that side as well. Although one would think that it'd be pretty hard for a hatcher to make it through all the AOE as the dragonhawks are being killed.
Lookit

Postby Seloei » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:41 am

youd be surprised. If you dont kill the hatcher after a side is popped, he will continue to the other side and continue at the hatching speed (16 hawk -> 32 hawks -> last ones).
The only way it was possible is that dps didnt nuke the hatcher
Seloei

Postby arilink » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:35 am

Alright, there is no doubt then.
Thanks!
arilink

Postby Thrayn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:18 pm

When I tank the adds, we kill one hatcher and let the other hatch all the eggs, and assign a dps to kill the hatcher when one side is done so he doens't hatch the other side too. Then when hatchers come again, dps again kills one hatcher so only one is hatching.

My technique for grabbing the birds I picked up from a different forum, but it works well:

First hawk: judge righteousness
2 hawks come: shield toss them
3 hawks come: target one, wait for it to target a healer, and taunt. They should all be targeting the same healer, always have for me.

Of course, keep consecrate up in between those casts. After that, consecrate alone should be more than adequate to grab all the birds (aside from overeager AoE dps, but at least the healers are safe).

One thing to note: the reason later birds are easier to grab with just consecrate ticks is the way healer aggro works. When they cast heals, it generates X global aggro, but that is then split among active mobs. So the more birds are up, the more ways aggro is split, the less holy damage it takes to pull them away from healers.

This might make it seem like a good idea to let both hatchers go for the second set of eggs, but I find they hatch too fast too early...that is, the first couple batches there aren't enough mobs yet to catch them all with 1-2 ticks of consecrate so they end up going after healers and once they start spreading out it gets tough.

I've never worn fire resistance gear for the fight, only fire res aura. And after the first pack is down I'll divine shield off the debuff. If I should die to unlucky fire breath after the second pack with the debuff stacked sky high (though it hasn't happened yet), it's no biggie, as my boss dps is so small...by that point my job is done.

The only tricky part is avoiding the fire bombs while tanking. You just have to remember that consecrate has a decent radius and the birds will follow you, so just concentrate on finding a safe spot since if you die it's probably a wipe. Watch where the bombs are being thrown to, and if one looks like it's going into your flock of birds just back up to a safe area. There's lots of time, as long as you stay calm and don't panic.

Also, I run with tons of spelldamage for this fight. You don't need to be uncrushable, and if you have the libram for additional consecrate damage from Sethekk Halls, wear it. I'm currently up over 580 consecrate spelldamage (including the libram) for the fight, but have done it with less than 500.
Thrayn

Postby Mialina » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:42 pm

Here's a tactic I've devised for palatanks specifically:

I've tanked Jan'alai and all the birds solo so its doable (but requires serious gear and healing).

Take Jan'alai to one side of the eggs (dont mind the teleport, as long as you have the agro he runs back to you). Let one hatcher hatch all the eggs, tank and have the raid kill them, then take Jan'alai to the other side.
This part is important: have your raid kill all the rest of the hatchers. This tactic saves you a lot of dps time on the boss, when janalai reaches 35% he releases all the rest of the eggs, aoe them down just like the 1st side, boom boss dead :)
Mialina

Postby sbeacher » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:52 pm

I can't see the benefit of solo tanking the boss and the birds as you have two tanks anyhow. Trying to run around with the boss on you to catch birds and then having all that on you and trying to dodge eggs just seems like a disaster waiting to happen for what benefit? Maybe shaving 30 seconds off the timer in increased dps on the boss?
sbeacher

Postby Mialina » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Here's the benefit: my off tank is always a drood, so he can equip cat gear and dps.
As we wanna set some kind of bear mount run time record thats what I'll use as tactic in my runs :)
Mialina

Postby Lookit » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:04 am

Plus... that would be fun as hell!! :D
Lookit

Postby Petrus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:24 pm

My raid had a LOT of problems on Dragonhawk today. On the first run (when we could have gotten a timed chest), we ended up accidentally killing BOTH hatchers when they spawned with one side left, then he hatched ALL at 35% and we got overwhelmed.

The second attempt, a hatcher got loose and hatched part of a side, and the hawks killed the healers.

Third attempt, AoE died to hawks because it started too early.

Fourth attempt, I took a 10k Flame Breath and died, hawks killed healers, wipe.

Fifth attempt, MT (druid) went down with 16% remaining, wipe.

Sixth attempt, I died to a fire wall when I went to get the stray hatcher the DPS didn't kill, wipe.

That's all we got in before we called it, because most of those are STUPID wipes. We get another chance at it tomorrow. The unfortunate thing is that we could have had a third chest. I wish I could MT him myself, but our Druid OT has 19k health, 4pc T4, and I think it was a healing issue that killed him.

That being said, does anyone have any tips about flame breath? I've died in the past to big huge flame breaths. We tried killing half a side at once and then it was too much to keep track of hatchers, tried killing whole sides at once and I died to flame breaths, tried killing part of a side followed by part of the other side, nothing worked, I either had too many debuffs or the hatcher was too hard to keep track of.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Achtung » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:35 pm

Wear FR gear.
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby rabbel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:15 am

With you healers on their toes Fire Resist Aura should usually be enough to take all the hawks on one side, if not take some more gear with you. Assign one ranged dps (hunters are a good choice) to watch the hatching process and nuke that hatcher hard when he turns around and walks to the other side. After one side is down remove your debuffs with Divine Shield and repeat the process, except you can now let both hatchers live to get the hawks faster. They have very litte life and die to the AE anyway.
Make sure your healer is watching, because a fire breath with 2-3 dozen Flame Buffets _hurts_. Tell them they should save their Nature's Swiftness / Pain Suppression / Lay on Hands / every single other panic button for that exact moment, and be ready to quickly throw your own LoH if things get really ugly. If you die during the second wave it's usually not a big thing, the AE can usually bring down the remaining hawks themselves, and you are not of much use in the following part of the fight.
Also try not to clump up too much at the eggs side, the more people close together the higher the chance to get flame breathed. Just stand there with maybe your healer a little away and your AE if they need to get close (Arcane Explosion), a warlock can safely nuke from far away.
rabbel

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman