Dailies as prot suck

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby uke » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:54 am

Aurelie wrote:
uke wrote:Respec Ret for a while if you have to, and get some ret gear (lots from rep vendors and the AH), it makes it much easier.

Either get it done, or stop pouting that you can't find good gear, when it's very easy to get.

He's clearly talking about his undergeared warrior here, not his paladin. If you're going to be condescending and obnoxious at least read his posts?

I realize that modus is talking about his warrior, and my post wasn't talking about only his character. Warriors can spec Arms/Fury, then, and the same concept applies.

As far as being obnoxious, I disagree. Can anyone argue that SSO rep requires anything except time and effort. Either you deal with the time/hardships to hit exalted and get easy T4 gear, or you don't. If you choose not to put in the effort, I don't want to hear complaining.

Maybe it's because I'm dealing with teenagers who haven't yet learned that they sometimes just have to "deal with it" and get it done, I dunno. Or maybe I'm just tired of the constant whining. Who knows?

Either get exalted with SSO, or don't and bypass gear that's much harder to find an equivelent for w/o raiding. Your choice.
uke

Postby uke » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:56 am

moduspwnens wrote:It's cool, I understand his point, and I will eventually get exalted with SSO on my warrior. I do think I have a valid reason to whine in the "dailies suck as prot" thread, because dailies do suck as prot, and are specifically worse as a prot warrior with no real gear on a PvP server.

Blizzard designed the game to ultimately require PvP to farm effectively on PvP servers, but yet there are many guilds on PvP servers that raid and need to farm for materials (unlike PvPers), and this puts an unnecessary burden on tanks (who have no real PvP viability). I hope there is more equality in WotLK, although with the direction Blizzard is moving, I doubt it.

It's fine man, and my rant was not focused specifically at you.

Easy solution, respec ret for pally or arms/fury for a warrior for a while, then respec back to prot once you hit exalted :wink:
uke

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 am

uke wrote:Easy solution, respec ret for pally or arms/fury for a warrior for a while, then respec back to prot once you hit exalted :wink:

: |
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby uke » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:11 am

moduspwnens wrote:
uke wrote:Easy solution, respec ret for pally or arms/fury for a warrior for a while, then respec back to prot once you hit exalted :wink:

: |

Hey, if you haven't experienced the pure joy of a Crusader Strike/white hit/SoC triple-crit, you are really missing out 8)

It's not so bad if you pull a couple extra, because stuff dies..fast.

edit: Plus, is that hunter/mage trying to gank you? Put up BoF, run up, and go smash his face! :P
uke

Postby jere » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:19 am

I actually ground out all the SSO dailies as prot in my tanking gear (heroic tanking set, so mostly T4/blues type gear). It really didn't take long overall. The only quest that could take a while is the stupid key one. Sometimes you get the keys in the first few kills, sometimes it takes 20 kills to get 1/3

I just avoided the mana draining mobs and focus fired stuff. It really didn't seem so bad once I figured out the tricks here and there to make it faster.
jere

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:24 am

uke wrote:Hey, if you haven't experienced the pure joy of a Crusader Strike/white hit/SoC triple-crit, you are really missing out 8)

edit: Plus, is that hunter/mage trying to gank you? Put up BoF, run up, and go smash his face! :P

Again, not my Paladin, my Warrior, who is in partial greens. The way you seem to think that someone without PvP gear stands any chance at all against someone who does, and "wants to gank you" (i.e., get the first shot/cast) confuses me. Combine that with spellsteal and arcane shot, and I have no idea where you get your concepts of PvP on the isle.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 am

Everything is harder on a PvP server. It's a cliche to point out that you made your bed, and all that. Not doing SSO rep is a cop out, either way. There will be gankers no matter where you go that isn't an instance.

Not all of the SSO quests are on the island. You can do nagrand, the hellfire demon quests, the ravager quest, and the at'amal armaments quest every day, and not really have to be in the gankfest that I assume is on the island. You can probably avoid being ganked if you do the bombing run. Yes, there are more compact quests to do on the island, but the key is to balance your tolerance for being ganked against your willingness to Take A While getting the rep.

If your prot gear sucks, why NOT spec arms or fury or some other more pvp-friendly spec? You can get some starter gear with resilience, and while you're still likely a "free kill" to warlocks and mages, you at least can be slightly less of an easy target. You can also find a friend and duo, and hopefully avoid ganks that way.

The SSO shield, not to mention the +Stamina necklace, are probably big enough upgrades that you can spend a week or two (or three?) working on those, rather than doing instances. If you were to do almost all the SSP quests every day, it'd take ~12 days of play to get to Exalted. If you only do a third of them, then consider it will take ~30 play days to do (but you can keep doing them as prot, mostly).

The gear upgrades are HUGE. It sure seems like it's easier to do that than to farm Sha'tar rep over and over for a month.
Kelaan

Postby Chard » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:47 am

I'm on a PvP server and did the SSO dailies as soon as I hit 70. I did them in either blue quest tank gear or the combo blue-green ret gear I had had since level 65.

Does it take longer than a DPS class? Yes, but everything does.
Did I get ganked? Yes, but that's life on a PvP server.
Was it worth the grind for my shields? Yes, most definitely.

The gankers almost always just congregate in one section of the island, just go to another part. Or go do the ones in Outlands, an epic flyer is not necessary at all, and then go back and finish up the island. There's ways around gankers, if you just don't keep running back into the same area 1 on 5 repeatedly.
Chard

Postby uke » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:49 am

moduspwnens wrote:
uke wrote:Hey, if you haven't experienced the pure joy of a Crusader Strike/white hit/SoC triple-crit, you are really missing out 8)

Again, not my Paladin, my Warrior, who is in partial greens. The way you seem to think that someone without PvP gear stands any chance at all against someone who does, and "wants to gank you" (i.e., get the first shot/cast) confuses me. Combine that with spellsteal and arcane shot, and I have no idea where you get your concepts of PvP on the isle.

Point taken. I was talking more about Arms/Ret for actual mob killing.

If you get ganked, you get ganked. Run to your corpse, rez and either continue what you were doing, or move elsewhere until the gankers move on. Not much else you can do besides that.

Let's look at it this way for a moment, and this is not directed to you modus, but in general...

You're in greens. You want to do Kara. You need a better shield to do so.

Options:

1. Grind Sha'tar rep by running Bot/Mech/Arc over and over again for Crest of the Sha'tar.

2. Kill Nightbane and hope the RNG gods see it fit to have the shield drop.

3. Run SSO dailies, putting up with the occasional ganker, until you hit exalted, and buy a shield superior to the Nightbane (and FAR better than the Sha'tar one) one for small amount of gold.

Option 1 took much longer to grind rep than SSO

Option 2 requires luck with a random drop, plus are you really going to be fighting Nightbane as a fresh green-geared 70?

Option 3 just takes a little bit of time, a few (or more than a few) corpse runs, all the while making lots of gold in the process, and you're *guaranteed* the shield without relying on the RNG. PLUS, it's better than the shield from the first two options. PLUS, you get a really nice tanking neck to boot. PLUS all sort of nice crafting recipes.

Now...which one has the best effort to payoff ratio to you? :wink:
uke

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:58 am

[item=34680]Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolved[/item] vs. [item=33296]Brooch of Deftness[/item] (25 badges)

[item=34676]Dawnforged Defender[/item] vs. [item=29266]Azure-Shield of the Codorra[/item] (33 badges)

Not exactly worth two-three weeks of farming rep, imo.

But anyway, I'm not looking for a rebuttal or work-around. I just wanted to QQ a little bit in a thread that was in its essence, a QQ (dailies suck as prot). I don't understand why you are all acting as if I don't understand my options here, or don't know what's going on. I'm on a PvP server, it's not the "occasional ganker" (when you're in greens), it's camping. I'm also on a well-populated server.

I did tank Nightbane in this gear last night (well, without the epics now found on my armory, I didn't have those yet). It mostly came down to keeping up Thunderclap and Shield Block, because I could only take 2.5 hits without dying, and none of them could be crushes. It honestly felt a lot like tanking on my Paladin in Sunwell, which is about right, since our my avoidance is the same (Undergeared warrior vs. Geared paladin in Sunwell).
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby uke » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:08 am

LESS QQ MORE PEW-PEW!!

:P

I dunno, I think I'm just tired of QQ'ing in general. It just gets old to me.
uke

Postby Ciandin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:44 am

Don't bother with the shitty drop rate quests; just stick to the bombing quests, kill X guys quests, and portal quest and you'll be done for the day in no time. Granted it'll take a few more weeks to get your stuff, but you can use the time you save to run some heroics or whatever else floats your boat.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:51 am

I think ultimately I'll do dailies until I can get revered, simply for the Glyph for resist sets and PvP, and that'll be all the daily grinding I can muster. The options I listed above seem like much better alternatives, and I might end up getting rep through farming the Shard of Contempt and Commendation of Kael'thas.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Aerfalle » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Farm rep begging people to do normal instance runs...

Or tank heroic every day.

I don't do dailes even on my warlock. They're so boring.
Aerfalle

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:41 pm

moduspwnens wrote:[item=34680]Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolved[/item] vs. [item=33296]Brooch of Deftness[/item] (25 badges)

[item=34676]Dawnforged Defender[/item] vs. [item=29266]Azure-Shield of the Codorra[/item] (33 badges)

Not exactly worth two-three weeks of farming rep, imo.

That depends on the rate at which you can farm badges. For me, the SSO shields helped me get the EH needed to be much less squishy in heroics (and the quest rewards funded my tankatronics ;)). It also assumes you want to spend your first 25-60 badges on shield/neck when you could save a bit more for an excellent chest piece, or other warrior tanking gear. I know I had an abysmal badge intake rate (still do ;)) due to play time and such, whereas it was easier to farm dailies.

Still, if you're able to survive tanking in Karazhan, more power to you -- that may be the faster route. And, things like the Panz and other drops there are quite good too.

If you are able to survive tanking heroic MgT, I'd do that -- you'll eventually get the rep, and you should get the trinket too. (:
Kelaan

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice