Remove Advertisements

Sethekk Halls

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Sethekk Halls

Postby VikrumthePally » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:08 am

Can this normal instance basically be AOE tanked just like the ones before it?
VikrumthePally

Postby Targonis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:16 am

Kind of... Sethekk is a different monster because of the amount of casters/charging ravens in it, and the first boss is a hoe. I'd recommend to get a mage that knows how to sheep, taunt the charging mobs off of him before they get to him, and LoS as much as possible. It at least takes the heavy healer/heavy caster DPS mob out of the group so you can deal with the charging melee mobs faster without taking spike from spells.
Targonis

Postby Lookit » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:45 am

Up to the first boss, it's pretty easy to AOE tank. You will want to have the DPS on lookout for mindcontrol totems though, and to dps them immediately. If the tank get's mindcontrolled, things go south quickly, because your healer is about to die. The MC cannot be bubbled out of because as soon as you cancel the bubble, if the totem has not been destroyed the mindcontrol will be reapplied. Time Lost Controllers, I believe is the name of the mob that uses them.

The first boss is pretty easy as long as you keep consecrate running the whole time and get your group to kill the adds when they pop. If you don't kill the adds, they can very quickly multiply into an unmanagable amount.

After the first boss, the main mob to watch out for are the Prophets. They fear, so be sure to pull them back quite a bit so you don't get feared into another pack. I typically CC them and kill them last just for convenience sake. Also, when they die, they become an invincible ghost - make sure everyone knows to just stay away from it and let it despawn, because it hits fairly hard.

The second (and final on normal) boss can be a pain if the group is uncoordinated. Take him between the first two pillars, and when he does his arcane blast, have everyone run behind the right pillar. You want everyone running to the same pillar so that they can be healed and so you can taunt off them, because the boss will go for a random person after the blast. You'll also probably want to have Decursive running so you can easily cleanse polymorph during the fight, especially if it's your healer. If someone gets poly'd right before an arcane blast and they don't have a way to break it (such as the pvp trinket) then they are going to die if you don't cleanse it right away.

The first boss drops a libram that increases your Consecrate damage by up to 47, which is a great libram for AOE tanking and one that you'll still use even on some T6 content, so it's definitely worth picking up.
Lookit

Postby VikrumthePally » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:06 pm

Not to discredit Targonis in any way. But wow Lookit. Thanks a ton! Everything I need to know about the instance lol. I have a 69 resto shammy and a 67 Spriest that I always run with. Now just to pick up 2 dps that can follow simple orders. :)
VikrumthePally

Postby Arcand » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:09 pm

VikrumthePally wrote:Now just to pick up 2 dps that can follow simple orders. :)

:roll:
Arcand

Postby dmok » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:00 pm

I might add that pallys have it significantly easier on this last boss than the other 2 tanks. Especially when your healer has HoTs. Reason is as follows:

After Ikiss arcane explosions, he has an aggro reset. 99% of the time, the first person to get aggro will be your healer. The problem is in finding out which way around the pole Ikiss will run. For a warrior/druid, this can be a huge PITA. For you, you just have to be in LoS of the healer, taunt, then run around whatever way you want and he'll be right there for you to regain aggro on.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Targonis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:28 pm

VikrumthePally wrote:Not to discredit Targonis in any way. But wow Lookit. Thanks a ton! Everything I need to know about the instance lol. I have a 69 resto shammy and a 67 Spriest that I always run with. Now just to pick up 2 dps that can follow simple orders. :)

No discredit/objections taken at all... Lookit has obviously done this in normal/heroic more times than I and can give specifics... I only post what I know, and honestly Sethekk was never up there on my to-do list and I've only tanked it a couple times. Even when its the daily I tend to skip it because its only 2 badges.

We're all here to help, and we all have more knowledge than others when it comes to specific things.
Targonis

Take a mage for Ez-mode

Postby ldeboer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:09 pm

AOE tanking the first half you know about the main issue is the MC totems and in particular you being MC'ed. The mob will make a beeline straight after the healer. Having the healer know to stand back and a mage that can press the nova button to freeze them before they get to healer gives plenty of time to kill the totem.

On the fist boss you will have consecrate down and the adds will come onto you but left alone they will mount up and in heroic they explode after a period doing massive damage. Once they agro on you the mage can safely aoe them down.

Finally the run to last boss is full of prophets that fear and release ghosts having a mage that can sheep them so you can deal with them last is much easier.
ldeboer

Postby Lookit » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:53 am

VikrumthePally wrote:wow Lookit. Thanks a ton!

You're very welcome!

One of my favorite people in all of WoW is a druid, so every once in a while when we're feeling lucky we'll run Sethekk for a chance at the raven mount. Which is to say, I've run this place a lot :P

Great tip, by the way, on having a mage frost nova if the tank gets MC'd :)
Lookit

Postby Malthorn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:02 pm

Ran Sethekk tonight at lvl 66 and found it quite easy tbh. As said by the others the main thing to do is to do a lot of LoS pulls. Make sure the Controllers and Prophets go down asap and keep telling everyone to kill the totems first!

1st boss is easy. As lookit said, just keep laying down your consecrate and let someone kill the adds.

2nd boss (last) is also easy, just remember to tell everyone to move behind a pillar when he gathers energy.
Malthorn

Postby Tankznspankz » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:22 am

Switch aura to devotion for thos ravenguard bastards :E

They hit harder than anything in kara.
Tankznspankz

Postby xuldinga » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:17 pm

So some friends and I tried Sethekk halls last night and it was a nightmare. We had lvl 70’s (sub spec rogue, arcane mage, MM hunter, and prot warrior) and I was a lvl 65 prot warrior. We figured since they were all 70 (with the warrior and mage just hitting 70) we should be ok if I concentrated my healing, and we were right until the first boss. We wiped on him 4 times in a row before everyone just gave up. The warrior could NOT keep the elementals on him, so they came after me because I was healing. To keep mana up (still spec for prot) I BoW myself, but ended up trying BoS just to not grab agro. With everyone focusing fire on the boss, the adds overran the tank and came for me. I mentioned that maybe we should kill the adds, but the noob 70 just kept insisting that we focus on the boss to down him quickly. Now I don’t think I could get any of them to try again, too bad they are guild mates I know irl. Then this motley crew decides to go fel reaver hunting with disastrous results, but I guess that’s a story for a different post.

Esit: missed the NOT, my bad
Last edited by xuldinga on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wrath/LvL 70 Dra Prot Pally/Drak'Thul.

Which side are we on?
We're on the side of the demons, chief.
We're evil men in the gardens of paradise,
sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go.
xuldinga

Postby Fivelives » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:29 pm

If you had 2 warriors in the group, the first boss should've been easycakes.

The adds are fearable (hint hint intimidating shout).
Fivelives

Postby xuldinga » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:40 pm

Fivelives wrote:If you had 2 warriors in the group, the first boss should've been easycakes.

The adds are fearable (hint hint intimidating shout).

nope, just the one warrior. He did intimidate once, but I think the CD slowed him down. I have no idea how warriors work since I never played one, but thunderclap didn't seem to get the elementals attention.
Wrath/LvL 70 Dra Prot Pally/Drak'Thul.

Which side are we on?
We're on the side of the demons, chief.
We're evil men in the gardens of paradise,
sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go.
xuldinga

Postby Arcand » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Fivelives wrote:The adds are fearable (hint hint intimidating shout).

Three of the five are fearable. My priestess scatters each wave to buy herself a few seconds to dispel the debuffs.
Arcand

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics