Remove Advertisements

Tanking Archimonde

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Archimonde

Postby Palorius » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi
I was wondering, what the minimal requirements for a Paladin to tank Archimonde would be. We currently have a warrior tanking it, and I just wanted to know if there was any skill I could lend in the tanking.

My Armory is
<Clicky>

I could really use some feedback and advice.

Thanks in advance =)

--Palorius

PS: I know I need a new helm, but the T4 never drops. >.<
Palorius

Postby Lev » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:53 pm

I think you are still far off from being a viable tank for archimonde. There are still a LOT of upgrades you should get beforde attempting it - even as a warrior you need very descent gear there.

To avoid fears, you should have 4 (maybe only 3) priests within a fearward rotation.
Lev

Postby Palorius » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:56 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Yeah its apparent that I need better gear, my guild pulled me out of doing KZ, when they were starting MH/BT, so I completely skipped the T5 stuff.
But what would be the min health requirements?
Palorius

Postby Echaa » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:44 am

I'd say 21-22k hp should be fine. My guilds MT has that much and tanks it fine. Unfortunately we've only killed him once but we're going back for our second kill this weekend. We have more problems with fire eating than the MT dieing. Just make sure you have pre-heals on the pull or you can get insta-gibbed pretty easily. Also, because he can't crush as long as you have healers you can survive being feared (though its cleanseable so you shouldn't stay feared for long).
Echaa

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:02 am

20k+ HP, 19k+ armor, around 60% avoidance, and 3 fear wards + pvp trinket is all you need.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Seloei » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:30 am

Tremor totem + Grace of Air totem from a enh shammie is a big boost also, incase someone misses their fear ward. The totem kicks in usually in less than 2s so he won't go fingering the raid, trinket incase both are not there.
Done it with a druid + 1 fear ward + totem once.
Seloei

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:31 am

Seloei wrote:Tremor totem + Grace of Air totem from a enh shammie is a big boost also, incase someone misses their fear ward. The totem kicks in usually in less than 2s so he won't go fingering the raid, trinket incase both are not there.
Done it with a druid + 1 fear ward + totem once.
Can't really count on tremor. Tank shouldn't have to move _at all_ in this fight.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Palorius » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:42 am

Okay so..
by the looks of it, I need a bit more gear to be able to tank him successfully.
Fully buffed im at like 19.8k or something, so need to buff that a bit, avoidance and armor definitely need to buff.
Thanks guys =)
Palorius

Mt Hyjal boss tanking

Postby Bethada » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:17 pm

here is my armory profile from what i have been reading im not that far off tanking him but just wanted to see what you guys think, my guild is currently at the 3rd boss in mt hyjal but we are progressing fast, I also wanted to check if you think my gear is ready to tank the 4th boss in hyjal, we are about to start looking at him and i was wondering if i should put my hand up to tank him

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Bethada

the next upgrade im after is

http://thottbot.com/i33421

i also have

http://thottbot.com/i34889

for a bit more threat

i was also possible looking at

http://thottbot.com/i30889

as a bit of an upgrade however if will be awhile before i get this as some of the other tanks still have the sso rep rewards sheilds so they will get first crack at it. I will be chanting my sheild and rings soon to get a bit more spell damage and block value

anyway just wanted to get your opionin if u think i would be a viable tank for the bosses in mt hyjal

thanks for all your advice in this thread and others:)
Bethada

Postby Tekkel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:41 am

It seems rather ok. Just azgalor smashes your face if u don't have 20kp minimum. U need the hp to survive 2 hits at least without a single heal landing. And they're around 10k.

Back on topic. For archi you really want 3 priests and a pvp trinket. U use an armor pot every cooldown as well. I usually have 3 fear wards and then trinket the next 1. Be watching your FW buff well though. I've been hit in the back 3 times because a priest got airbursted and didn't apply the FW on time. Tremor totem backup is well handy. Also make sure you dispell any healer you can reach. If none in range dispell any dps.
He doesn't crush so the 300-400 extra BV shouldn't be a problem. However a dead player that died in a fire is a big problem :)
Tekkel

Postby Consecrate » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:07 am

This is one of the few places i'd actually prefer a warrior.

Having people waste fear ward on you is not efficient, and whilst I have tanked this fight, it is far from optimal and can lead to multiple "oh shit, heal Consecrate" moments.

I would definitely not recommend tanking it as a progression tank if you value your healers - they may die from a heartattack.
Probably the worst named paladin ever.
Consecrate

Postby Saintsabbat » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:19 am

I tanked it last night for our progression kill (the warrior who was drafted suddenly de-signed, one that wasn't drafted had made plans).

Buffed I had 22k HP, 19.5k Armour, 60% true avoidance. (I used an effective health gear set which included iron gauntlets of the maiden and those stam boots from TK!)

I had three fear wards and no trinket but always had tremor totem up and had LoH ready for an "OH ****" moment.

I do however wholeheartedly concur with what Consecrate has said, having anything other then a warrior MT this encounter is sub-optimal.
Proud GM, RL and MT of <Cataclysm> Bronze Dragonflight 5/5 MH, 9/9 BT.
Saintsabbat

Postby arilink » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Our healers like to complain about healing is not enough of a challenge.
Well, Azgalor and Archimonde with 4 Resto Druids is overkill but our droods simply rock every heal-o-meter.
We are still trying on Archimonde and people most likely die to doomfires even without fear or that tear was gone after rezzing resulting in just another wipe and so on.
However our "main-healer" just noticed after 6 tries that he had forgotten to assing maintank-healers.

My Stats were 21.3k HP, 20k Armor, 58% Avoidance.
Archimonde hits for 7-9k but I was running oom with max threat rotation.
Had 3 priests chaining fear ward was perfectly enough.
Resto druids are the win.
We wiped at 55% however because someone got feared into a doomfire again miles away from everyone else.

Snake said: the tank should not move at all in this fight - is there a place at those logs where doomfires cannot reach you? Because I had pretty much to spin around him to not get hit by a doomfire .
arilink

Postby nicolax » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:36 am

You really want to move if you are hit by doomfires, taking doomfire damage + archimonde melee damage can be deadly.
Your stats are fine, just use a spell damage weapon with mongoose, threat is not an issue here. also with 3 priests, use a pvp trinket, with 4, there is no need to use a trinket. Also doable with 2 but harder :).
It's easy for a priest to use fear ward, just tell them to set a rotation and make a macro to whisper you when it's used and whisper the next fear warder. That, combined with tremor totem and trinket or divine shield/cancel is a win, no problem with fear.

And that whole, only warrior should tank it is just crap like many things, successful tanking is all about preparation and knowledge.
If you play with competent and open-minded players, you will succeed just as easily. I tank archimonde weekly and when i decided to share the spot with other tanks so they can experience it, i had to convince the players a warrior can tank archimonde just as well as i do, if not better -_-. I guess they are too addicted to pala-tanking now

i also tank kaz'rogal, azgalor, illidan... weekly. no problem at all, never slowed down my raid.
nicolax

Postby ShaiHulud » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:48 pm

Honestly I think a more efficient way would be to fear ward an MT healer(Usually a priest or pally) and have them spam dispel on you when they see the fear cast bar. I normally fear ward myself in this fight(my main is a shadow priest) and then spam dispel on all the dps/healers around me. But we use a Warrior for this fight. You can just wait for your helm from Illidan.
^The new WoTLK Main
^Old TBC main
ShaiHulud

Next

Return to Mt. Hyjal