Remove Advertisements

New member here with basic/general questions

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: New member here with basic/general questions

Postby Peryl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:59 pm

Hemiolia wrote:I'm sorry I couldn't be more descriptive in my title.

I'd like to preface this post by saying that before I discovered this site, I've directed all of my questions to gamefaqs.com. I can never get a serious answer from what appears to be a site full of "kids" who have nothing better to do than to flame other members. I've never seen anyone make any disparaging remarks about another's post - no matter how basic the question may seem. I sincerely appreciate that.

4. Up until several levels ago, I used to stalk the AH for any 1H weapons (that I could use) that had the highest DPS, at which point I was told (however rudely) that I was going about it the wrong way. Since then, I've been using a weapon I got in Slave Pens (or UnderBog, I can't remember which) that had +spelldmg. As a present to myself for reaching 70, I bought myself via the AH, the Crystalforged Sword as shown in my armory:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Hemiolia

By the way, any constructive criticism to my gear/build is greatly appreciated. Are there any other weapons currently available besides what I have on now, not BoP, I may be able to find in the AH that would better serve my needs?

Those are the questions I have for now. Any help/advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, welcome! I couldn't imagine asking this at gamefaqs.com

Checking out your armory, it looks like you are getting pieces that raise all of your stats. Str, Int, Stam, Agi, etc. As a tank, you don't really need Str and Agi. (As other's have mentioned). Sure they help but Stam, Defense rating, and spell power are most important at 70. Right now, your spell power is awesome, but you are stacking almost no defense rating.

Check out the gear section stickies (I like Eanin's post) for what gear to shoot for. Crystalforged sword is great. You might want to buy Fel Steel Gloves, they are only 25~40G or so (I'm on an expensive server). Also, your rings. Try to pick up something with stam. If you run old hillsbrad, there is Iron band of the unbreakable, but check the stickies and you'll get a good idea of what to shoot for.

Also, yes, please re-spec those 10 points from holy. They don't do you much good for tanking. Check out the talents section for more info there and put them where you feel best.

Good luck!
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

+spelldmg vs. +defense

Postby Hemiolia » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:20 pm

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your helpful responses. I am grateful for all the honest, candid replies without coming across as condescending or mean-spirited as I have seen on other websites.

Here is my logic for going more for +spelldmg (as opposed to a boost in defense). Until about a dozen levels ago, I was retribution spec'ed. While I was able to solo easily, I was suggested by my ex-guild to perhaps try moving more to a tanking role. I have, since then, loved the roles I've played in group settings. This has come at a price, however. When soloing, my kills tend to take quite a bit longer. With being a broke level 70, I still have to grind out dailies and farm primals to make some G's. I figured this would be the best way to help in those efforts without having to sacrifice much when situations require me to run an instance. Also, from what I read on wowhead on thottbot, I understand that a boost in spell damage is what's needed to effectively grab threat, which is an art that I haven't fully perfected.

The logic behind my sticking 10 points in holy (5 in +strength and 5 in +intellect) was that I have a hard time managing my mana. In both solo, and group settings, I tend to run out of mana quite easily. I figured the boost in both stats would help me in solo settings as I am spending way too much on food and water.

Once again, thanks so much for all of your helpful suggestions. I am going to re-spec now to the classic "textbook" build.

P.S. What is the name of this 2-minute trinket that one of you mentioned? Can someone link to it or give me the name for it please? Thanks!
Hemiolia

Postby ulushnar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:35 pm

Tankadins do run out of mana fairly easily. Aside from judgement of wisdom and mana potions there's not much you can do about that. Divine Intellect generally still isn't a good idea since most of the tanking gear we get doesn't have much intellect.

From my own experience, I sit with 240 intellect fully raid buffed, which means DI would give me 24 more Int or 360 mana. That's one more holy Shield and maybe a judgement if I'm lucky.

You should totally keep a full spelldamage set for soloing and regular quests. But if you're going to tank instances, or anywhere with hard-hitting elites, then you'll want to get your defense up to at least 485 and stack stamina/armor like they're going out of fashion.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby caboom » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:44 pm

i dunno how much it could work in ur case but ask someone in ur guild that does dailies at the same hours as u to duo with you, especially classes that would prefer having sth tanking so they could dish out some serious dps(ex : destro/affliction locks).

besides getting some wonderfull 1h dps weapon there is no way u can kill mobs faster, and even then it's slow. AOE can also work but it can be used only in some cases.
caboom

Re: +spelldmg vs. +defense

Postby Peryl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:39 pm

Hemiolia wrote:I can't tell you how much I appreciate your helpful responses. I am grateful for all the honest, candid replies without coming across as condescending or mean-spirited as I have seen on other websites.

P.S. What is the name of this 2-minute trinket that one of you mentioned? Can someone link to it or give me the name for it please? Thanks!

I believe it's referring to http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28234. Useful for certain fights. I have to pick it up myself.

For grinding, well, I pretty much just grind in my tank gear. I replace a few pieces. Isle of QD is tough for us because the BE mobs cast spells. I don't even do the mob killing quest, I just do the easy dailies and still make good money. So it's fine to grind in a SD set, but in instances you are going to be crit and take some big shots with low defense.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents