Remove Advertisements

I was too uber for Steamvaults, so...

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

I was too uber for Steamvaults, so...

Postby Barunduk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:23 am

I've been working away on getting to 102.4% for heroics and casual Kara runs if I have time. I have managed to get to 11k health, 4.8k mana, 94% avoidance and 507 defense with 270 spell damage unbuffed, which appererntly means that I will be OOM all the time when running normal mode instances!

So... I am in the process of downgrading, as I need to work on some rep and I need to actualy DO many instances for the first time before I try them on heroics. I know that I could take "sit-crits", but it seems to make more sense to balnce out my damage taken over time, now that it is an option, as it gives the healer something to do and ensures that I actually have the mana to taunt when required. And hey, I can always toss on my over-mit gear for the hard bosses :)

Anyhow, I thought I would post that these pieces are handy downgrades that will net more Health and will reduce avoidance. This is great so that you have a constant flow of mana, enough health for a sleepy healer to mend you, and not so much avoidance that 70 trash mobs are a pain.

Head:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28180
Enchant: Glyph of the Gladiator, Shattered Sun Offensive +18 Stam, 20 Resilence
Gem: 12 Stam (or 15 if you like)
Meta Gem: 18 Stam +5% Stun resist (pvp yes, but you don't *need* any other meta gem).

Legs:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29184
Gems: all 12 Stam
(Normally I use the Fellsteel ones, gemmed for the bonus)

Ring:
Something green with lots of Stam and Int.

If you were like me and were able to level up to begining Heroic/Kara tanking without actually running most of the instances and you still have to grind some rep for nice things like http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34896 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29173 it would be a good idea to keep a few very high Stamina items on hand to swap out when required!

(I posted this, because in all I read, I didn't really see this mentioned and I thought it may be helpful)
Barunduk

Postby spelltank » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:20 am

Stuff with mp5 and spelldmg is great for downranking. Another good way to increase your damage taken is simply to lower your armor by taking lower gear (non-plate healing/spelldmg gear is always great)

For plate, try:
http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=565
http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=623

Other BoE stuff:
http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=576
http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=556
spelltank

Postby Levantine » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:27 am

Tanking in a dress is all kinds of pr0.
Levantine

Postby chinoquezada » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:13 am

Its been also suggested that u basically start to strip in order to loose avoidance, armor, def, etc.

Tanking bare feet is also kinda leet if u ask me.
chinoquezada

Postby Bunnyfer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:34 am

Tanking NEKKID...FTW...

Reminds me of the time when I was in my 50's...some guildies and I went to Stratholme...

Lets just say that things did not go as we hoped, and we wiped numerous times. All gear became broke, so we spirit ressed at the graveyard..

For the next 20-30 mins, 3 of us were dueling in our underwear, wielding either a vendor trash weapon or a fishing pole...It was one of the best times I ever had after a bad instance experience, and the epic battle between the naked pally with the grey sword, and the naked mage wielding a fishing pole still is talked about in the guild today, almost a year later...

Good Times..
Bunnyfer

Postby Levantine » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:44 am

chinoquezada wrote:Its been also suggested that u basically start to strip in order to loose avoidance, armor, def, etc.

Tanking bare feet is also kinda leet if u ask me.

I'll be losing my chestpiece first.

Tittay tanking is even leeter.
Levantine

Postby Makaijin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:58 am

If you don't feel like stripping, you could always use 1 of these Dented Buckler instead.

On a side note, you could always quest for the rep to buy the heroic keys. Completing most of the quest in each zone should net you more than enough rep to buy the keys, and you get money to boot.
Makaijin

Postby uke » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:29 am

Why not just 'PULL MOAR!'? If you're overgeared that you're going oom, pull more mobs, it:

1. keeps your mana up
2. doesn't leave you open to a freak damage burst from being nekkid
3. makes runs go faster
4. earns the total adoration of your group

Just a thought :wink:
uke

Postby Brondar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:32 am

uke wrote:Why not just 'PULL MOAR!'? If you're overgeared that you're going oom, pull more mobs, it:

1. keeps your mana up
2. doesn't leave you open to a freak damage burst from being nekkid
3. makes runs go faster
4. earns the total adoration of your group

Just a thought :wink:

QFT!!!
Brondar

Postby Seloei » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:48 am

5. makes the run go faster.

Normal instances you basicly either tank half-naked, with greens or with pulling whole rooms.
Seloei

Postby Barunduk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Seloei wrote:5. makes the run go faster.

Normal instances you basicly either tank half-naked, with greens or with pulling whole rooms.

Pull more was my solution - I couldn't even see myself in there! (I know why more people aren't gnome tanks - Dwarves are short enough!)
Barunduk

Postby Flex » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:54 pm

I wear healing gear with mp5 and the weather beaten fishing hat.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Lieris » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 pm

I've done heroics wearing a tuxedo. An *enchanted* tuxedo. \o/
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Zeruvar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:29 pm

hmm tuxedo tanking... now thats an idea. Stripping just doesnt feel right.

And maybe he doesnt pull more because hes worried about his healer. Ive had a couple of cases where i help a guildy by running a normal instance for him in a pug. End up dying on what should be easy pulls *read: the first mobs in SP* because either the healer was too dumb, or too lazy.
Zeruvar

Postby ldeboer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:06 pm

Zeruvar wrote:hmm tuxedo tanking... now thats an idea. Stripping just doesnt feel right.

And maybe he doesnt pull more because hes worried about his healer. Ive had a couple of cases where i help a guildy by running a normal instance for him in a pug. End up dying on what should be easy pulls *read: the first mobs in SP* because either the healer was too dumb, or too lazy.

Its not just that if you pull too much it spreads out around you and you start wearing crits in the back unless you can find a nice wall to back up against.

In H-Bot I like to pull the 3 packs in Laj room but first time I tried it I died because they basically surround you and half them smacking you in the back. So now I do it but stick my back to wall and its fine.
ldeboer

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice