Remove Advertisements

Curator OT

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby solina » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:27 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Ghort wrote:
Maihes wrote:Bolts are not based off threat so you could do nothing but /dance and eat them as long as you are healed up and have THE HIGHEST HP second to tank.

are you for real? SECOND highest eats bolts....
It hits whoever has more hp at any given time, other than the aggroed target.

Huh?

WowHead wrote:Hateful Bolt - The Curator occasionally targets the second person on his aggro list with an arcane bolt that hits for approximately 4500 to 6000 Arcane damage. This ability is both fully and partially resistable.

Edit:
There's this:
WowHead wrote:The Hateful Bolt tank should be kept at full health, as the target for Hateful Bolt will change if the current Hateful Bolt target drops too low
But it obeys aggro rules first, it seems.
solina

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 am

Both probably work together >.> I never got hit by the bolt when I was under 5k health on my warlock.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Kathane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:41 pm

As I understand the Hateful Bolt mechanic:

Curator targets 2nd on threat list, does a check. Can hateful bolt kill current target? If yes, move to 3rd on threat list, if no, cast hateful bolt.

Rinse, repeat.

The check for killing blow is why it's critical to keep the bolt tank topped off, so that they continue to receive the bolts. If their health drops to a point where they could die from eating a bolt, Curator will re-target and zap somebody else. There's enough raid-wide damage from the flares that having one of your squishier members eat a bolt is a recipe for no fun.
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby BlackKnight6667 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:55 am

Kathane wrote:As I understand the Hateful Bolt mechanic:

Curator targets 2nd on threat list, does a check. Can hateful bolt kill current target? If yes, move to 3rd on threat list, if no, cast hateful bolt.

Rinse, repeat.

The check for killing blow is why it's critical to keep the bolt tank topped off, so that they continue to receive the bolts. If their health drops to a point where they could die from eating a bolt, Curator will re-target and zap somebody else. There's enough raid-wide damage from the flares that having one of your squishier members eat a bolt is a recipe for no fun.

My Kara team used to use an OT for the bolts, but when on my Lock, or My SPriest (Spriest is my new "Main") I ALWAYS took the bolts. Now we never use an OT for them and just make sure to heal me. My SPriest is 1.4K spell dam and is way overgeared for Kara, as is the Lock. My Tankadin is my next "Kara" character hence my reading these forums and interacting.
BlackKnight6667

True story that

Postby ldeboer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:13 pm

<quote>Curator targets 2nd on threat list, does a check. Can hateful bolt kill current target? If yes, move to 3rd on threat list, if no, cast hateful bolt.<quote>

Yep thats true story thats why if you have a weak OT with HP similar to a lock or that in raid you are better off letting him MT then even if he dies curtaor will move to the actual MT and the lock or whatever will get hit but you no worse off and you bought them some time.
ldeboer

Postby sbeacher » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:29 am

Never seen anyone die from a hateful bolt and have never actually used a particular person to "tank" it. Is the bolt even effected by armor? If not what's the difference, t he healers are gonna have to heal someone either way.
sbeacher

Postby solina » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:21 am

sbeacher wrote:Never seen anyone die from a hateful bolt and have never actually used a particular person to "tank" it. Is the bolt even effected by armor? If not what's the difference, t he healers are gonna have to heal someone either way.

If nobody else is trying to be #2 aggro on Curator, it will be a healer by default. The idea is spare a healer from a death that could result from hateful bolt + flare too close. Most healers, that bolt would take them from full health to ~2k.

And no, armor doesn't affect it, but arcane resist does.
solina

Postby ldeboer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:43 pm

solina wrote:
sbeacher wrote:Never seen anyone die from a hateful bolt and have never actually used a particular person to "tank" it. Is the bolt even effected by armor? If not what's the difference, t he healers are gonna have to heal someone either way.

If nobody else is trying to be #2 aggro on Curator, it will be a healer by default. The idea is spare a healer from a death that could result from hateful bolt + flare too close. Most healers, that bolt would take them from full health to ~2k.

And no, armor doesn't affect it, but arcane resist does.

Exactly and not being a healer I dont know for sure but I imagine the bolt probably interrupts whatever spell you are casting and then you may just lose the tank if this is progression content.
ldeboer

second on list.

Postby djellum » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:26 pm

its really not that difficult to be second on the list.

one way that works for us is our hunter just helps kill flares and auto attacks curator while we wait the couple of seconds for another one. healers know he will be taking dmg so they throw out heals to him.

better way when theres a warrior OT around is to have them keep sunders on curator and every other spark or every third spark they just go over and throw some moves on curator. this works the best since its helping me set up curator for evocs, helps kill flares, and gives our bolt tank a 10k+ hp pool.

just assign someone with a good hp pool to attack cruator every so often and they will stay up there. also dont salve anyone since its useless. then if worse comes to worse salve the healers.

djellum

Postby Stilgarr » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:46 am

Best OT or bolt soaker on the Curator imo is a Shadow Priest.

The output on lots of smaller mobs such as the orbs is too low to get any use out of either VT or VE.

I always soaked the bolts on mine who was my old main. The benfits being that VE and VT can be up for 100% of the fight which drastically lowers the need for mana pots by others.

If it's a progression run just have them leave MB out of the rotation untill the evocation as mana "could" be an issue for them gear depending. But a pot before the 1st evocation and using the fiend on the 2nd sorts that out no problems.

This way all the non-dot classes get used to full potential in getting the orbs down quickly.
Stilgarr

Postby solina » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:02 am

ldeboer wrote:
Exactly and not being a healer I dont know for sure but I imagine the bolt probably interrupts whatever spell you are casting and then you may just lose the tank if this is progression content.

What I'm struggling with is this is farm content for about half the group, and progression content for the other half. So making balanced decisions is rather tough.

The spriests (2) I can use probably have about 6k HP. I'll come up with something, I guess.. I do like freeing up the feral OT go to DPS flares.
solina

Postby Mordinm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 am

ldeboer wrote:Exactly and not being a healer I dont know for sure but I imagine the bolt probably interrupts whatever spell you are casting and then you may just lose the tank if this is progression content.

I've never noticed an interupt with the arcane bolt while healing. Then again I've mostly done it with no off tank and more often then not it's not the healers that gets hit anyway. There is certianly something more then just 2nd agro to getting hit with bolts.
Mordinm

Postby Stilgarr » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:44 am

[quote="solinais rather tough.

The spriests (2) I can use probably have about 6k HP. I'll come up with something, I guess.. I do like freeing up the feral OT go to DPS flares.[/quote]

VE and the odd renew from a healer will take care of it. If they are still unsure then inner focus and a shield helps out too. If it's progression then they should be just about the best geared people in the raid anyway tbh.

The FSW set is T5+ add in badge rewards and craftables and the only thing you'll really see them wanting is the Curators Staff maybe, or Princes dagger which is a way off yet.
Stilgarr

Postby ldeboer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:29 am

solina wrote:
ldeboer wrote:

What I'm struggling with is this is farm content for about half the group, and progression content for the other half. So making balanced decisions is rather tough.

The spriests (2) I can use probably have about 6k HP. I'll come up with something, I guess.. I do like freeing up the feral OT go to DPS flares.

A shadow priest with 6K HP you are kidding right? That had better be unbuffed they should be 8K-11K depending on progression and most should be towards the upper cause alot of the best gear for shadow priests is PVP gear and for that reason I agree with stilgar above these should be about best geared of progression or they are lazy.

What about locks got any with 12-14K?
ldeboer

Postby solina » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:01 am

ldeboer wrote:
A shadow priest with 6K HP you are kidding right? That had better be unbuffed they should be 8K-11K depending on progression and most should be towards the upper cause alot of the best gear for shadow priests is PVP gear and for that reason I agree with stilgar above these should be about best geared of progression or they are lazy.

.. or they're fresh 70's. And I do mean fresh. One of them in particular hit 70 about a day before last week's raid.. she's made a lot of progress, but she's behind on her tailoring skill and isn't much of a PvPer (can't blame her, to be honest - not subjecting oneself to 10 slaughterfests a week doesn't qualify as laziness in my eyes). The other.. has a complete FSW set, but ends up healing most of the time due to lack of other healer options.

ldeboer wrote:What about locks got any with 12-14K?

Had one of those last night. She was VERY spotty with attendance, so I kicked her off the roster, but she made it in this time. Last week, no.
solina

PreviousNext

Return to Karazhan