ZA as a nub tank

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

ZA as a nub tank

Postby Sarutankah » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Went to ZA with the intention of only downing Nalarakk.

We had to call it cos Warrior "Maintank" kept dropping on bear form.

Partly cos we didn't know you had to stand next to each other - I survived brutal swipe (11-12k hit) 2 times but warrior with bleed damage and a brutal swipe promptly got owned, of course that gets split if tanks are next to eachother and it would have made a huge difference if we had done that.

The trash leading up to it was cool though - great to get fully smashed by those bears with riders (had 2 on me after avengers shield hit :S) and live through it (was grateful warrior managed to pull 2nd one away).

Will go back again - heals were a little average and tbh so was I but at least I never died on troll form so I did my job :D
Sarutankah

Postby Lookit » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:36 am

Sounds like you had fun!

Yeah, the Nalorakk fight won't last long if the tanks aren't standing on each other. One tip that we use is for both tanks to stand on top of each other before the fight and then have a hunter Misdirect pull them to whichever tank will be taking the Troll form. That way you don't take any brutal swipes in those first few seconds as you're getting situated.

Also, on the bear trash, I finally stopped using Avenger's Shield because it made it harder for the other tank to pick up his target. I just pick him up with a JoR and drag him away from the other bear (so their AOE debuff doesn't stack on both tanks).
Lookit

Postby samoa » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:23 am

Yeah i just use a lower rank AS when i pull those MOBS work lilke a charm.. :D
samoa

Postby jere » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:26 am

Odd, I didn't think he did brutal swipe in bear form...only troll IIRC

EDIT:
Just checked. He only does brutal swipe in troll form. In bear form he has two separate bleeds and the silence attack, but no brutal swipe.
jere

Postby Sarutankah » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Oh - that's interesting - I only noticed it cos I was troll tank.

I don't understand how warrior kept dropping then, possibly heals not used to the huge dots and getting a bit freaked after healing me from almost dead after a full brutal swipe.

I didn't go back with them this week but they managed to down the 3rd boss in ZA after finally getting Nalorakk sussed (yeah yeah - next time we'll all read about fights before charging in :S) but last night they invited me into the guild as a tank :D
Sarutankah

Postby Seloei » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:22 am

Unless you are going with 2 paladin's to ZA using max rank AS is better, due to him gaining some threat from your attack alone.
Warrior's and druids just taunt the mob and either stand their ground while you move away or they move away.

And yes, only troll form does a brutal swipe but it's just 12k and he hits for 2-4k so even if you take a swipe the second he gets to you, it won't be lethal. It seems he does them quite rarely also, not like saberlash spammer halazzi.
Seloei

Another nub tankadin venturing forth into ZA

Postby duruk » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:25 am

So we did Bear boss and got him down, first try. When we tried next boss, with the birds and the storm, we seemed to take a long time just bringing him down to 85%. After witch we'd wipe :(

What should dps be able to pump out? When we were tanking bear boss (me and a prot warrior), dps regularly was 30-50k behind us (threat wise). I don't think they held back much, but I think low dps might be why we couldn't get bird boss down. How close behind is dps on the tanks running ZA regularly?

I started tanking with SoL and SoW, as I didn't really need that much overhead on threat...
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Seloei » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:50 am

your dps is low, if your healers are going oom before the boss is down. ZA fights are short enough that most of the times they end up with abundant mana, unless your group is undergeared for it.
Why did you wipe on akil'zon? Did someone miss the storm warning and didn't collapse? Wiping at 85% sounds about when the first storm should hit.
And bear is more of a "heal challenge" than akilzon.
Seloei

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:30 am

Seloei wrote:your dps is low, if your healers are going oom before the boss is down.

Don't discard dumb healers though. 2 of the priests in my previous guild(farming T5, learning T6) were basically flash-heal-on-tank spammers and cbf changing it.
Seloei wrote: ZA fights are short enough that most of the times they end up with abundant mana, unless your group is undergeared for it.
Why did you wipe on akil'zon? Did someone miss the storm warning and didn't collapse? Wiping at 85% sounds about when the first storm should hit.
And bear is more of a "heal challenge" than akilzon.

Akil'zon is a very light on tank fight. Often one of the hunters would take more damage than I did.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to Zul'aman