Remove Advertisements

Tanking Illidan Stormrage - A guide for protection Paladins

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Worldie » Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 am

I don't see why would you need those 2 talents. Redoubt is a proc and, being a proc, shouldn't be something you have to rely on.
Shield spec will reduce damage taken but it's in no way needed.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby kartera » Thu May 29, 2008 2:30 pm

So today i was allowed to tank illidan.
First i must say the fight so abolutly fun, i want to tank him everytime from now on.
But some things i saw.
First i had a problem with the demonform tank..
2 Times after demonform phase illidan just ran right to him. I casted as,judg and exo instantly, but still illidan ran straight too him. saved one time through soulshatter and another time trough bop. Is this normal? I never seen that happen with our warri mt.
2. I never got cheered. What i did. I waited with hs until he starts casting sheer and then i popped it. And then allways hold it up. Never got into this "unlucky sheer" thing

just my 2 cent.
mf kartera

ps: sry for my bad english
kartera

Postby Worldie » Thu May 29, 2008 2:39 pm

Kudos to your connection if you menage that, i'd not feel like risking that.

About the lock tank, he should compeltely stop to DPS him after the 2nd flame aoe anyway. He probably had dots still running at the phase transition.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby kartera » Thu May 29, 2008 3:39 pm

Worldie wrote:Kudos to your connection if you menage that, i'd not feel like risking that.

About the lock tank, he should compeltely stop to DPS him after the 2nd flame aoe anyway. He probably had dots still running at the phase transition.

Well. Maybe it was because Illidan was at 30% where he switched to demon and then switched back to normal... Maybe was the aggro not resettet...
Ah nevermind. Down is down ^^
kartera

Postby Elsie » Fri May 30, 2008 7:56 am

He can bug out during the Maiev event if you bring him to 30% in demon form. Bop the shadow tank and have him shatter. Pop wings and pray.
Elsie

Postby link » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:04 pm

very nice guide. Thanks for it.
Now i am prepared. :D
link

Postby Rand » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:32 am

Today will be my day on tanking illidan.
I't will be the first real try that we will make on him and I'll tank him.

Say good luck to me ;)
Rand

Postby Worldie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:53 am

Good luck, go and kill!

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Bighush » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Ty Worldie for a very good guide, helped me alot. We just killed illidan for the first time today with me as progress tank and tank on illidan kill. Fun fight to tank.
Bighush

Postby Rand » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:27 am

Thanks Worldie, but we didn't make the raid :( we forgot the Italy soccer match :(
Rand

Postby Worldie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:58 am

Tanto abbiamo vinto :roll:

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Infernosaint » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:20 am

Thanks for an amazing guide, and video.. We're starting BT/MH soon, so there's a long way.. But i like to be prepared.. One thing i would like to know.. what is that addon that shows the glowig shield when holy shield is not up?

I couldn't find it anywhere :)
If you don't fall over when looking at my zomgawesome stats, i'm in prot or RP gear.
Infernosaint

Postby Lowgrus » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:18 am

So common question but who should tank it?

We have a warrior who outgears me only marginally- However sometimes he has down syndrome so we weret hinking of having him on illidan and having me and the not so retarted, duh duh which way did he go george, tank do flames since thats more important. However I really want to tank him.

I'm at about 490 spell damage, 25 percent dodge, 23 percent parry, and 22 percent block rating. 17000 life unbuffed 18.5k armor. Now I know those stats are plenty based on reading. stuff, but I mean in all actually what really makes me better over the other two warriors?

I mean I was thinking becuase I"d be fairly usless during anything except for flame tanking but is healing not a good enough reason to let the warrior tank and me just heal?

Also we recently started running with a boomkin like really cool 4/8 t6 :D. Would it be ideal to put like 2 holy priest, 1 resto shaman, boomkin, shadowpriest together? for the more crits for inspirtation and such?.

Also do ya'll have hunters and the boomkin keep up scorpid and insect swarm?

I can see where having me tank would be better, my threat for one. Plus I just kind of dont want the responsibility of flame tanking.

OH mind tellingm e what those traps look like on the ground?

oh and is my 0/40/21 spec viable with my gear?

i wish akama would drop his legs and najentus would drop his freaking boots. I'd be set and I want that shadowmoon insignia to drop again.
Lowgrus

Postby Worldie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:07 am

Your stats are fine for tanking Illidan.

Who should tank him is a matter of your guild preference... keep in mind that tanking the flames is harder (and funnier in my opinion) than the boss itself. If you say that this warrior sometimes goes stupid, well whatever you make him do, you are playing roulette.
If he tanks flames well, that's the most important part of the fight, a tank error leads to a quick wipe.
If he tanks Illidan, for how easy it can be, it's the longest thing for the encounter, and uncorrect positioning can as well lead to a wipe.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Palifax » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:26 pm

Illidan down!!
I was Maintanking him on our first progression kill,

Thanks very much to Worldie and his Guide , it helped me tremendously.. Especially on the " Ignore stupid Maiev and her traps" I didnt even notice the enrages actually.

The loot was> The Skull of Guldan, The meele dps ring, and 3 Conqueror Chest tokens.

No loot for me this time cause of lack of DKP but hopefully Ill get something next week :lol:
“My comrades are my weapons and I am their shield”
Palifax

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple