Black Morass Regular. A strange request.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Targonis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:44 pm

Arcand wrote:In soviet Russia, the Aeonus wipes you!

...sorry.

This is backwards... Aeonus did actually wipe them. The correct use would be:

"In Soviet Russia, the group wipes Aeonus!"

... but that sounds terrible.

...... sorry again.
Targonis

Postby Righteousbro » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:30 am

Highjacking a thread as a first post might be a bit over the top but still: I tanked BM at 69 (or even 68, I forgot) with a shadow priest healing me and a lvl 70 shaman, mage and warrior in MH/BT gear. It was fun, although the enhancement shammy kept gaining up on me on threat very fast :P

But my question is: yesterday I whispered a group that needed a tank for Shadow Labs and they didn't want me to tank. Now we always hve a tank shortage on our server so it seems likely to take any tank, even if not level capped. Were they right not to take me? At this moment I have 460 or so defense, about 42-43 avoidance without shield block active and some 10k hitpoints unbuffed (in Setthek Halls I had a priest and warlock and a nice 12.4k hps :D ). I myself think that we might just have made it, although Murmur might hit me hard. On the other hand, isn't that elemental damage (i.e. unblockable?)

Anyway, the point might be moot in a few days as I ding 70 (83 rep to go for Revered KoT, farming Durnholde alone or with a healer friend might be nice :P). But still, was a bit anooyed (I tanked Kael in normal MGT the day before and we only wiped twice after I found out to move out of fire...)
<insert witty signature here>
Righteousbro

Postby Barunduk » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:20 am

I was told that I was an epic failure when I tanked Shadow Labs today, you know because the dps was "on the phone" and the healer got disconnected from the game and I only tanked the boss solo for 4 minutes.

Of course, the person who bitched was the dps who was on the phone.

Shadow Labs is a real gear check, but I'll tell you now that I was OOM the whole time today, becuase I wasn't taking enough damage. And that was without using CC. You could likely do it fine, but good luck finding a group that aren't a bunch of assholes.
Barunduk

Postby Righteousbro » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:11 am

Barunduk wrote:I was told that I was an epic failure when I tanked Shadow Labs today, you know because the dps was "on the phone" and the healer got disconnected from the game and I only tanked the boss solo for 4 minutes.

Of course, the person who bitched was the dps who was on the phone.

Shadow Labs is a real gear check, but I'll tell you now that I was OOM the whole time today, becuase I wasn't taking enough damage. And that was without using CC. You could likely do it fine, but good luck finding a group that aren't a bunch of assholes.

Hehe well Ill try that.

Yesterday tanked my first instance at 70, Shattered Halls. We wiped once when we pullen 4 gladiators + their master, a group of 5 incl legonairre and a patrol of dogs + sharpshooter. For the rest no problems, lost aggro once in a while but the rogue and warlock were both pretty well geared (MH/BT+). Yes they probably dragged me through :P

Shadow Labs shouldn't pose that much of a problem I think, a group like yesterday is likely to make it through real quick. Need to try that asap :) although I already notice going oom a lot on normal mobs, maybe Ill just give myself wisdom.

Anyway thanks for the reaction, I enjoy these boards a lot!
Righteousbro

Postby Barunduk » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:12 pm

Hey, I thought I would add another note on Shadow Labs:

I ran it at 5am, when none of us had any sleep and the rest of the group were in greens and blues. We did sooo much better than the blues/purples I was grouped with in the above post! Really, it depends on the skill level of the people you are playing with.

That said, we couldn't get passed the boss with a million ads, as they wanted me to kite him up and down the hall to avoid the ads. This does not play well into paly tanking, as it negates the use of consecration completely. No consectration + a low DPS group = death on that boss. Ultimately, you either pound the crap out of him while standing in one spot, having someone nuke the ads or you get a Warrior to tank him :)

Hey, can't be great at everything, eh!
Barunduk

Postby Arcand » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:41 pm

Targonis wrote:"In Soviet Russia, the group wipes Aeonus!"

... but that sounds terrible.

...... sorry again.

I was willing to sacrifice my dignity to make a lowbrow 'lol Aeonus soundz like anus' joke, so after that sacrificing the correct format of the Soviet Russia meme wasn't much of a jump.
Arcand

Postby shifttusk » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:27 pm

Just wait untill you get some kara gear and are sitting on heroic BM trash to get some mana back :) You'll look back fondly at running BM at 68 and getting crushings.
Shifttusk - 70 Hunter Executus 0/20/41
Easylay - 70 Paladin Anetheron 0/49/12
shifttusk

Postby Righteousbro » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:29 am

shifttusk wrote:Just wait untill you get some kara gear and are sitting on heroic BM trash to get some mana back :) You'll look back fondly at running BM at 68 and getting crushings.

Can't I just put on come spell damage cloth and be done with it? :P

Anyway got me a flying (engineering) mount + skillz so should be good for anything now...just 69 more rep on KoT...
Righteousbro

Postby Peryl » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:41 am

Barunduk wrote:Hey, I thought I would add another note on Shadow Labs:

I ran it at 5am, when none of us had any sleep and the rest of the group were in greens and blues. We did sooo much better than the blues/purples I was grouped with in the above post! Really, it depends on the skill level of the people you are playing with.

That said, we couldn't get passed the boss with a million ads, as they wanted me to kite him up and down the hall to avoid the ads. This does not play well into paly tanking, as it negates the use of consecration completely. No consectration + a low DPS group = death on that boss. Ultimately, you either pound the crap out of him while standing in one spot, having someone nuke the ads or you get a Warrior to tank him :)

Hey, can't be great at everything, eh!

Yeah, it really does depend on who is keeping you up and the quality of your group. I ran SL with my healer friend. At the time I had stacked def to 485, but only had 10K hit points. We made it through with a few wipes, but my friend said I was taking some shots. We ran with a hunter and two fury warriors so we only had frost trap for CC, which made things interesting.

For Grandmaster Vorpil (the guy with all the adds), you do need high DPS. We took him to the left corner, and I pulled him to there and we DPS'd him until he teleported. Then we smacked him down the hall and he died before all the adds reached us. The advantage of the corner is you can beat on him with melee DPS and it's tough for the voidwalkers to get in there. Ranged stands on the ledge right to the south and can shoot directly north.

For Murmur, he doesn't hit hard at all, it's the Sonic boom that's the problem. We got him down but I never did get the hang of the timing. I currently don't have Boars speed or PoJ so I am slow. I think next time (and maybe the best way) is to stay in and get a big heal timed right afterward. You also have a bubble and maybe LoH to work with. If you have decent DPS, he should be dead by 4~5 booms.

Anyway, don't worry about stupid PUGs. We all get them and have those days.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Lognar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:41 pm

Janduin wrote:The other problem with tanking BM at 68 or 67 can be threat generation on bosses. I remember trying this and the bosses were orange to me...needless to say I had trouble hitting them and therefore trouble generating threat.

Doesnt make much sense to me...even at 68 your holy dmg isnt going to suffer too badly from not finding the mark :S

Have been running lately with a pally tank who has been levelling up (this with me on my alt druid) and he was pretty easy to heal through BM at 68-69. Completed the run twice, with him tanking everything.

I did let him die at about 3% against the second boss Temporus, when he was 68 but I just put that down to the debuff stacking a bit high. Didnt have any trouble when we came back.
Lognar

Postby Marker » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 pm

Peryl wrote:
Barunduk wrote:For Murmur, he doesn't hit hard at all, it's the Sonic boom that's the problem. We got him down but I never did get the hang of the timing. I currently don't have Boars speed or PoJ so I am slow. I think next time (and maybe the best way) is to stay in and get a big heal timed right afterward. You also have a bubble and maybe LoH to work with. If you have decent DPS, he should be dead by 4~5 booms.

The channeling on Sonic Booms take forever. Get a proper bossmod that displays it properly and you have more than enough time to get out. Remember the Murmurs hitbox is huge, so you dont have to go that far in. Just adjust it to when you get the message that you're too fatr away, then move an inch closer. The challenge is to get someone into melee quick enough, since we haven't got intervene.
Marker

Postby Arcand » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:32 am

And make sure you run out far enough, of course. I usually go straight back along the path, and getting outside the raised lip of Murmur's pit is not far enough. You want to be past the tip of the first diamond on the path, plus about two feet.
Arcand

Postby EvilNuff » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:39 pm

Honestly folks, you *can* with a good group (especially healer) tank these instances pre-70. But the simple fact is it IS a drain on the group, it does take longer, etc. With a PUG why would you want to take those risks? Just go quest for a day and ding 70, its trivially easy at that point.

I levelled up my tankadin with 5 RL friends, all of us playing only together in the group and only levelling in instances, one night a week. We did steamvaults at 68 for example. That's all 5 of us under 70. So of course its possible. However, when we went back at 70 we quite literally breezed through it. Level really does make that much difference (primarily in not facing orange bosses any more).
EvilNuff

Postby Katerina » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:15 am

Well, I think having a pally off-tank the adds is a bit silly. You would not have the mana to do so very long. Heck, even tanking the bosses and the adds I had a mana deficit issue at level 69. I didn't dare judge wisdom for fear of losing my fragile threat lead.

If you are going to take anything but tank, 3dps, healer, then bring an off healer who can dps some (reverberation shammy, dreamstate boomkin, disc priests, and shockadins (great for adding their consecrate to yours to help burn the adds down a bit)). Usual pvp healer specs work good for this role and are pretty common at that level. It does free the dps up a bit not to have to chase the adds around, so you tend to get more dps time on the boss. Once I have a comfortable threat lead I tell people to focus on the boss and let me just hold the adds, thus sparing us the extra adds by closing the portal as soon as possible, and I hopefully get hit a bit more.

Really sounds like the group that wanted a pally to tank adds just didn't have a very confident tank - or a hunter/mage/lock who thought they could pick them off.
Katerina

Postby Grokii » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:57 am

Katerina wrote:Well, I think having a pally off-tank the adds is a bit silly. You would not have the mana to do so very long. Heck, even tanking the bosses and the adds I had a mana deficit issue at level 69. I didn't dare judge wisdom for fear of losing my fragile threat lead.

I was an add tank at 68. I just had the druid tank drag the boss so I could judge/seal wisdom on the boss while spamming rank 4 consecration. That was good enough to keep the healer off the hate list and I didn't run out of mana. The only problem was when it was one of the casters and we couldn't drag him over, then I was scrambling, going out of mana, and a general pain.

It was fun on the last boss, we got a bad stun the druid was down to a sliver of life. I was spamming bubble for when I got out of the stun. Healer topped him off while the boss ate the rogue (oops, wasn't 2nd on threat list and he's either untauntable or resisted it). The druid clicked off the bubble and got aggro back. Worked well, and rogues deserve to die here and there.
Grokii

Previous

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics