Remove Advertisements

Elitism...

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Elitism...

Postby Semajyendor » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:21 pm

Mind you, I have only been playing since Dec 07, got talked into being a tank for my stupid little guild, ended up loving being a tank (except for the pressure), and since have been having fun and gearing up the best I can without actually raiding yet...One of the toughest things to overcome however is this "elitist" attitude certain people I come across have, its actually getting to the point where I just don't want to Pug anymore because of it. What is it about this game that turns people into arrogant assholes? I'm not claiming perfection in any sense but I *always* try to be courteous and kind to the people I meet in the game, after all I am a Paladin, but it really seems that 80% or more of people I meet are not, or even worse just plain assholes...Does anyone else experience this? or am I just unlucky? Anyway, the game really comes down to Heroics for me at this point and it is being unbearable to deal with peoples attitudes, and I'm *not* a bad tank I do a good job I think...Anyway thanks for reading my rant, does anybody have any constructive suggestions? :(
Semajyendor

Location: Nuke proof top secret command center three miles underground...

Postby Worldie » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:34 pm

It's not about the game, it's people who just suck.

Real life isn't that different.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jellypop » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:14 pm

<~ is an asshole.

but to be honestly, if you know what your doing, your perfectly fine, there's always assholes and jerks out there that'll find a way to flame you even if your in tier 6 and have 18k hp unbuffed.

*points at Worldie*

I just pick on people that have absolutly no idea about what their talking about, and doing.

just this morning I spent 20 minutes in trade chat explaining to a level 70 prot warrior that a enhance shammy isn't better tank then a paladin.

and ended up with "Lawl your a prot pally, your opinons don't count."
Jellypop

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Anyone have that image of, like:

Average person + Anonymity + Audience = Total Douchebag?
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Invisusira » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:51 pm

gogo Penny-Arcade!

I believe they made a t-shirt out of it too.
Invisusira

Postby caboom » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:37 am

This reminded me of the guy pming me one day, out of the blue, with the serious intent of proving i suck and i should jump of a tall building, w/o me having no connection with him whatsoever... it ended with him blocking me...

Use common sense, group with ppl that you know and enjoy spending time with you, and leave the party when u feel insulted, afterall your a tank and a decent one as u state it yourself. If u'd be paying more attention to these ppl than they diserve then u'd prolly go crazy. I for one go with the idea that if they are not smart or educated enough to express their feelings in a decent mannor and provide viable constructive criticism along with proof to their beliefs they don't diserve my presence and i'd prolly be better of somewhere else.
caboom

Postby Semajyendor » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks for the responses, the picture had me rolling...Much of this is likely my own fault, instead of trying to join an established guild and apprentice under some experienced tanks, I decided (on a goof really) to start a guild (dumb move)....Anyway this site rocks!
Semajyendor

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:34 am

Don't play with people whose company you don't enjoy. As a tank, you have that luxury. As a courteous, conscientious tank, you'll find yourself put on more and more people's friends lists.

Assuming, of course, you don't suck. :]
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Exalt » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:00 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Assuming, of course, you don't suck. :]

There's the big thing.

I find that there are 2 very distinct forms of elitism. The one mentioned in the image above, referring to people who aren't really elitist; they're just assholes.

The other form of elitism comes from people who are used to playing with a certain caliber of player and they get frustrated when they play with people whom they consider to be sub-par.

The first category of elitists are going to be arseholes regardless. The second group are likely to be arseholes if you're horrible compared to the tanks they're used to. The trick is knowing which is which. Meeting up with the latter version is an indication that you've got some learning to do. While it may not be worth your time to "impress" people who are being d-bags, it WILL be worth your time to improve your game if there's something missing.

Most of us play this game for fun.

Most of us enjoy winning and our fun can easily get stifled if we're getting roflstomped by blizz's scripted encounters.

Food for thought, I guess...
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Semajyendor » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:56 am

There is little question that I have a long way to go, but I do have a decent grasp on what my job is (alot of credit goes to the fine info provided on this site)...So from the point of view of lack of end game experience, yes I *do* suck, but willingness to learn it and do it right has to count for something right? Anyway I get what your saying, and appreciate it...Hopefully I will be joining your ELITE ranks before the end of the millennium... :wink:
Semajyendor

Postby Exalt » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:17 am

Semajyendor wrote:There is little question that I have a long way to go, but I do have a decent grasp on what my job is (alot of credit goes to the fine info provided on this site)...So from the point of view of lack of end game experience, yes I *do* suck, but willingness to learn it and do it right has to count for something right? Anyway I get what your saying, and appreciate it...Hopefully I will be joining your ELITE ranks before the end of the millennium... :wink:

If this was directed at me, then please don't misunderstand where I'm coming from.... I haven't checked out your armory and have no idea what your playstyle is like. I don't consider myself to be an elite, hell, most of the guys on here have WAY better gear than I do and are in guilds WAY further along than mine. :oops:

I was just throwing that info out there on the off-chance that it might be useful. I wasn't trying to make a judgement on your gear/skill. Sorry if it came off that way. :D
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Targonis » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:20 am

I'm an elitist... but that doesn't mean I'm a jerk. I'm an elitist in the way that provides constructive critism and helps fellow players BECAUSE I know what I'm doing and I am confident in my abilities... Anyone who doesn't want you as a tank doesn't deserve to have you as a tank. My server is so short on tanks right now Paladin Tanks are revered as a godsend for heroic runs and have helped to re-staff the tank population. Mind you most guilds on my server only have 1 prot pally per guild simply due to shortage they've learned that they do need 1, and run accordingly. Maybe you should just find a new server?
Targonis

Postby Semajyendor » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:07 pm

No way Exalt! That was just an attempt at humor, I was sincere in what I said, I do suck when it comes to end game content (Seriously I have not set foot in Kara yet, guild not ready and I can't see pugging it, even though I know it happens all the time), I have done all the heroics except MgT and Shattered Halls, so I consider myself a nub still...I am sincere when I say I appreciate all your comments, I feel honored actually because I respect the opinions I hear around here, and know some of the top Tankadins in the game hang around...So if my humor was lost I apologize...When I'm bitching about elitism it is towards people that treat others like shit, I mean why would someone act like that over a game? (I press buttons on a keyboard better than you bitch!) Of course those that are awesome at the game and have slain the most awful beasts deserve to be praised and held up as examples...I want to be one of them someday soon! :wink:
Semajyendor

Postby Semajyendor » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:02 pm

Sorry to keep blathering on, but I must say this, not to single anyone out but Invisusira, (God help me) not since Jessica Rabbit have I been more in *love* with a cartoon character...LOL. Teach me your ways! Here is my deal, teach me to tank the badasses and I will teach you to play Metal guitar, I am not without skills....check out http://www.myspace.com/skullpile if you doubt me! Not to slight that rogue song that was used for the recent video contest (because it rocked) but I'm sure I could write a heavier song! :twisted:

Again, trying to be humorous, hope it worked!
Semajyendor

Postby Exalt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:08 am

Semajyendor wrote:I have done all the heroics except MgT and Shattered Halls, so I consider myself a nub still...

OMG! Go hit that shit up. H-SH is a breeze for a tankadin. Grab a group of friends and learn the ins and outs of it on heroic (only slightly different than non-heroic, ie. you actually have to stop a couple times on the gauntlet). And then tank it for the naysayers. It's insta-cred! :twisted:
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Next

Return to General Strats