Remove Advertisements

Tanking Dragonhawk Adds as Holy

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Dragonhawk Adds as Holy

Postby Ease » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:28 am

I've recently joined a ZA timed run group as a Holy Paladin, and it's suggested that I tank the adds on dragonhawk. Having never done it before, are there any tips? Remember that I'm Holy, not prot :P

Also, any tips on what gear i should be using? We only run with me and another healer so I can't compromise too much on my healing with having a good stamina pool. Any and all tips and suggestions are welcome.
Ease

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:31 am

Put on tank gear...
got improved RF? If not, dps will have to wait quite a bit, your threat will be equivalent to a prot pally's salved threat if you don't have improved RF

100-ish FR and uncrit at a bare minimum if you're going to keep mostly holy gear.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ease » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:39 am

Note we only run 2 healers, me being one of them, thus i'll be healing the tank and topping up the raid when i'm not tanking. FR gear greatly compromises that i think, but your point taken, i'll look into it.
Ease

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:55 am

Ease wrote:Note we only run 2 healers, me being one of them, thus i'll be healing the tank and topping up the raid when i'm not tanking. FR gear greatly compromises that i think, but your point taken, i'll look into it.

You have a _very_ hard task there ._. The easy way out is to have a prot pally doing all the dirty deeds and a second tank dpsing everywhere but jan'Alai, where he'll tank while prot pally goes birdie.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:14 am

If they expect you to tank adds AND heal the tank then you are SoL. On timed runs you have to pop a full side and aoe them down since by the time the 2 other hatchers get to the eggs, the boss is close to 35% or already there and having both sides come crashing in is bad.

But if you really want to do this, you will have to get 2 things. Crit immune and a bit of FR gear. your healing will be BAD to say the least and it is a very bad idea to have one of the healers tank the birds doubleso with a timed run.
Theres 2 ways to accomplish this:

PVP gear has tons of resilience so you can get crit immune there and throw on one or two badge fire res gear where you can.

Ignore your heal gear and get tanking gear (defense, armor, stamina, spelldamage)

Improved RF is a must, since it not only increases threat it also reduces damage by 6%. Fire res gear is not needed but it helps a lot with reducing stacks. Without any piece i end up (after a single side) with 40-60 stacks. with capped gear i have 2-3. It is not needed but it helps.
Seloei

Postby Kellann » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:29 am

Frankly having 1 of the 2 healers 'tank' the adds sounds like a horrible way to do things (unless your goal is a pissed off group). If you're honestly running with 2 healers, they need to heal and you need to find another way to deal with the adds.

Slowing traps on both sides (2x hunters) gives you a possibilities with splitting/rotating DPS to deal with the birds in dribs and drabs, but at best you are stuck hoping that quite a few people don't screw up in any way.

What's your last group composition?
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Return to Zul'aman