Fairly new but needed to AOE tank Hyjal trash / questions

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Fairly new but needed to AOE tank Hyjal trash / questions

Postby Aelivar » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:20 am

I've only recently hit 70 on my paladin, but after going so long without a prot pally, my guild is itching to make use of me, so we're starting to do Rage trash mainly to work on coordination as well as hoping for trash drops.

We've done it a few times so far, and I think I'm doing ok, especially considering how little time I've had to gear up past my crafted goggles and rep items from SSO. But even though I'm at a point gear-wise that makes me feel confident in heroics, I'm hoping you folks can point me towards the best upgrades I can try to work on to fill in some of the gaps I have (check out those green shoulders).

I just bought my bracers and am low on badges, but trying to run dailies at least to build them back up.

Here's the link to one outfit I've tried in Hyjal:

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/73958

I also have the Crimson Serpent trinket I could use for more Stam/Int and spell dmg on use. Given that I still die sometimes doing this, though, I'm thinking having more defense and the "oh crap" use function of the Tortoise trinket may be better.

On other thing I wanted to ask about is that one of my GMs said they wanted to use some of the Heart of Darkness we've picked up to have some Shadow Resistance gear crafted for me. I'm sure I will need some SR gear at some point, but I'm not sure it would do me that much good during these first several waves of Hyjal trash we're farming right now, would it? I just don't want to have them use up those mats for me if a) they won't be absolutely necessary for a while and b) they would take away too much from my other gear's benefits right now.

Thanks for your time. I'm having a blast tanking as a paladin even if I've only done it for a few weeks, and I learn something good ever time I come here. :)
Aelivar

Postby Heironeous » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:48 am

Well you just went from the almost easy grind of leveling/tanking regular instances to possibly the most intese tanking in the game. So if you're working to bunk up a bit then I can salute you. I'd recommend your guild take you and bull-doze you through kara and maybe a Gruuls or SSC/TK run, slap gear on you and then turn you loose again and see how much easier it is to keep you trucking.

While you dont need the top-quality gear to keep up, if you're finding yourself in a majority of blues or just short on badges to get the items you really need then maybe a little assistance can help. It'll pay out to the guild in the end, I'll guarantee it.

And this is why teenage girls shouldn't play WoW...
Heironeous

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:49 am

SR gear isn't used until Kaz'rogal, and then again only really for Sharaz. Otherwise just a piece or two are used here or there.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:SR gear isn't used until Kaz'rogal, and then again only really for Sharaz. Otherwise just a piece or two are used here or there.

Healers without SR gear on anatheron are healers who quite probably wont be healing for long. Also a full raid in SR gear reduces the carrion swarm damage to the point that only 3 healers can keep the whole raid up.

Not sure why you should be getting SR gear made already for you...

Anyhow, Hyjal tanking isn't "hard" it's all about getting the proper gear ready and the other tanks not failing at what they are supposed to do (aboms, casters). Did it in normal instance + few badge gear in a "br/bv" set before, worked like a charm until free action pots were up.

gearing is "situational" and there have been lots of topics about hyjal in this forum and the gear forum. Some go for BR+BV sets and spend free action pots often and hope the offtanks are decent, others go with high avoidance sets. Both can work. Either search for similar requests or post in the gearcheck forum please :)
Seloei

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:25 pm

Anetheron does not require SR gear. Just place 2-3 raid healers behind the raid. The 3 tank healers around the boss at 120° from each other. The 2 infernal tank healers on the hill near Jaina.

The only healers who'll ever get Carrion Swarm are the main tank healers, and only 1 per time.

Where's the deal ?

SR on Anetheron is uses only if the raid can't understand the basis of positioning.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby iwillpunishu » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:17 am

Worldie wrote:Anetheron does not require SR gear. Just place 2-3 raid healers behind the raid. The 3 tank healers around the boss at 120° from each other. The 2 infernal tank healers on the hill near Jaina.

The only healers who'll ever get Carrion Swarm are the main tank healers, and only 1 per time.

Where's the deal ?

SR on Anetheron is uses only if the raid can't understand the basis of positioning.

QFT
iwillpunishu

Postby Seloei » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:35 am

SR on anatheron is like SR on HLM, both are perfectly fine without it, one just makes it a joke.

you don't "need" full sr gear but it just makes life much easier even with proper raid positioning.

Reason why we use max SR gear is because the dps fails at moving to the infernal tank spots and if he lands on the other side of the boss "bye-bye melee". So we cover about 180-210 degrees of the boss
Seloei

Postby Worldie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:30 am

If your people fail at moving at Anetheron, how you would hope to take down Archimonde? :roll:
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Seloei » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:36 am

Because archimonde only involves watching if there is a doomfire coming towards you or not and staying the frack away from it when fear is almost up. And if you fail at noticing you are flying around and can't click the tears when you think you are nearing ground o.O
If we don't have new people that night we usually one shot him.
Illidari council however...
Seloei

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:26 am

Anetheron is even simpler because you see him casting on you, the game screams at you, everyone screams at you and you have a fixed spot to go.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:00 am

You can't see if his casting at you if you are healer and are desperately trying to keep the raid alive since everyone on that side suddenly took a hell of a beating. Followed by a infernal raining down on the other side of where the infernal tank is waiting resulting in either. Not everyone listens to ventrilo that much and it is much simpler to see something coming your way than hearing it is coming.

a) infernal runs through melee almost killing (or killing them) on the path to infernal tank
b) infernal goes loose and grabs a healer
c) a bear is tanking em and charges in and tanks on spot.

granted, anatheron is easier than archimonde, but why make the job of the healers harder when it means the kill will take ~30s longer than before but overall raid damage is reduced by 25-50%.

Not saying this is the only way to do it, this is the way we have done it and it works well for us. Quite a few times the healers are near full mana or show up on wws.

There is more than one way to beat almost every boss ;)
Seloei

Postby Quistu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:31 am

a) melee move away like all other clearing the path to the tank ?
b) when exorsism resists you instantly casts AS
c) no offense but wtf?

my personal favorite for Anatheron is no resist one raid. a full capped resist paladin for the adds with two healers (could be a feral druid in healing gear one of them). full nuke on the boss, and tanking overall 1½ infernal at a time. beause of npcs killing them. had him to 20 % with only a prot paladin 1.4k heal offspec healing me with that strat.
Quistu

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:36 am

Seloei wrote:granted, anatheron is easier than archimonde, but why make the job of the healers harder when it means the kill will take ~30s longer than before but overall raid damage is reduced by 25-50%.

Not saying this is the only way to do it, this is the way we have done it and it works well for us. Quite a few times the healers are near full mana or show up on wws.

There is more than one way to beat almost every boss ;)
Workarounds about people not paying attention are a way, of course. I just don't recommend it. Can't rely on people who can't read a huge message on your screen, followed by(if they are using bigwigs of dbm like any raider should) a huge glow of whatever color they set, all over the place.
Oh well i'm a master derailer but this isn't the place. I'm done here :p
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby sanctifico » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:48 am

Aim for uncrittable, + as much block/parry/dodge as you can get while keeping around the 14-15k hp unbuffed mark with around 16k + armour (easy with badge loot)

3/6 Sunwell Pre-Nerf.
sanctifico

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:49 am

I use my FR gear (some) from Flame of Azzinoth tanking to tank Dragonhawk boss's adds. I don't do it because I need to, as I've done it many times without. I do it because it makes things easier anyway.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Next

Return to Mt. Hyjal