Remove Advertisements

Tanking Hydross

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Levantine » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:57 am

Defense trinkets and the rest of your gear + Anticipation. It's doable to hit uncrittable, but it's not of vital (Read: it's not going to be wipe causing if you're a little bit under) importance at Hydross like it would be on the Flames of Azzinoth.

Had a play around and came up with this:

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/44152?b=0G10171e1k1o

12.7k HP
492 Def
340 FrR

Self buffed (Kings, Frost Resist Aura only)

I'd even go to say that this is way over geared for the level of Hyrdross.
Levantine

Postby Ajantis » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:00 am

Oooh, that's great, thank you very much.
So I can start equipping and enchanting my gear without any fear :)

Ty again!

Edit: according to that site with my gear + all the 6 Frost Resistance gear I lposted, my defense would be 475 raidbuffed, with 365 FrR. Dammit to me for disenchanting Dabiri's Enigma >.<. I need to swap one or two pieces to be uncrittable now. Would 300ish FrR be ok anyway?
Ajantis

Postby Ajantis » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:56 am

Update: done that, it was ridiculously easy, both in the pull (as someone said here her aggro radious is like 1cm, no need for swiftness potions or invisibility) and in the handling of the phases.

Thanx for the support :)
Ajantis

Postby Bughead » Sat May 10, 2008 6:22 pm

Simple question ..... can Hydross crit?
Bughead

Postby Biscotti » Sun May 11, 2008 9:16 am

Yes. He (and his adds) can't crush though.
Biscotti

Postby plisken451 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:31 pm

I'm a little confused about the resistance stats. My GM is convinced that the resist values are basically a step-function. In other words, if you're not at the 365 cap, you'll only be at 50% resist. I just want to know if the resistance DR is a linear function or not.

Right now, with FrR aura and kings, I'm @ 335 FrR, 483 defense, 13.2k hp, 15.2k armor, and 322 spelldmg (with the 2-piece T4 bonus).

I've got a few pieces I can swap in (rep PvP shoulders with the violet eye resist, and Syrannis Mystic Sheen) for more FrR, but my defense and avoidance would suffer a bit.

Opinions?
ImageRetired

Mirraluun - Asmodian Chanter - Fregion Server - Eated by hackers
plisken451

Postby Tyaera » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:41 pm

PsiVen wrote:16% defensive stance, superior threat gen on an unblockable target, and our inability to use +defense in a weapon or ranged slot leave us with a pretty distinct disadvantage when tanking Hydross. It's quite hard to get 295 resist and 490 def at the same time, likely impossible without a +def weapon.

You really don't need to be uncrittable.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Tyaera » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:44 pm

plisken451 wrote:I'm a little confused about the resistance stats. My GM is convinced that the resist values are basically a step-function. In other words, if you're not at the 365 cap, you'll only be at 50% resist. I just want to know if the resistance DR is a linear function or not.

Right now, with FrR aura and kings, I'm @ 335 FrR, 483 defense, 13.2k hp, 15.2k armor, and 322 spelldmg (with the 2-piece T4 bonus).

I've got a few pieces I can swap in (rep PvP shoulders with the violet eye resist, and Syrannis Mystic Sheen) for more FrR, but my defense and avoidance would suffer a bit.

Opinions?

You must be capped. Use a flask of Chromatic Wonder to make up the difference.

or, buy a green shield of frost resist off the AH. Since armor and block are irrelevant, as long as it doesnt give up too much stamina, it can remove the need for a flask, which is good because you can then use a Blinding Light for more threat (you need it when tanking Hydross as you often lose a lot of spell damage in resist gear).

The advantages to use on Hydross are that during a transition, you can lay down a Consecrate and have a judgement queued up ready to go, and you can make the add-tanks job a lot easier, chances are your consecrate will tick on at least a couple of the adds to begin with.
Tyaera

Postby Tyaera » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Hydross kill video with me MTing Frost phase

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9085499772441077696&hl=en
Tyaera

Postby plisken451 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:20 pm

You must be capped. Use a flask of Chromatic Wonder to make up the difference.

That was the original plan. I can hit 354 FrR with my other pieces (but def is 468, 12.7k hp, 14.7k armor, 296 SD), OR the GMs plan was to use Chromatic Wonder to make up the diff. I really wanted to use either a fortification flask (to make uncrittable), or a blinding light for threat.

I've been reading stuff all over the place where people say they tank Hydross while under the cap, but I can't find out how much it's going to gimp me.
ImageRetired

plisken451

Postby Iliria » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:43 pm

just randomness...but if you SEVERELY over gear this fight, you can tank it without any resists...yeah we got bored tonight
Iliria

Postby danyboy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:23 pm

Just killed Hydross tonight. I want to say thanks to all tankadins who provided information about this boss, and of course to forum creators.
I was tank on nature phase. Have wildguard set with Glyph Of Defender on head, +150 health on chest, nethercleft leg armor on pants, and Daibiris Enigma for Defence, and The Natural Ward ring. And Gladiator Gavel in main hand for spd.
Imho defence rating >> than NR. I was with 488 defence rating, 380 spd, 310 NR with flask of chromatic wonder.
Blessings, Dany.
danyboy

Postby plisken451 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:59 pm

Finally tanked Hydross Saturday night in frost phase, and once people realized that "stop dps" really means to stop dps, we killed him on our second pull. Our nature tank (NElf warrior), had some problems at the transition due to an overzealous warlock, but my transitions were flawless. Five-stack of SoV plus a judgement at the line FTW.

I wasn't frost capped for this (something like 350), wasn't uncrittable (was 0.8% short), and ran a Blinding Light instead of a Chromatic Wonder, but the fight didn't really seem to be all that difficult. Got the [item=30629]Scarab of Displacement[/item] out of the deal, which will almost certainly allow me to be uncrittable next time.

Again, thanks for all the valuable information.
ImageRetired

plisken451

Previous

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern