Another "am i ready for heroics?"

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Another "am i ready for heroics?"

Postby Tamerlane » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:54 pm

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eredar&n=Tamerlane

Topic says it all. I know i'm still crushable, but I really don't see where I can squeeze out any more avoidance without going to heroics.

I've tried tanking heroic Arc and ramparts...arc was ok to the first boss but his massive shadow damage really was just too much. Ramparts after a few trash I felt I was very undergeared.

I've heard that it actually is easier to start tanking khara before certain heroics...is that true?

Any help/tips/prayers are greatly appreciated.
Tamerlane

Postby guillex » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:39 pm

You can chant your gloves, boots and wrists with agility for dodge rating...

Get the head enchant from KoT, and get the Inscription of Warding for your shoulders, seeing as you're only Honored with the Aldor... Try to grind out Exalted for the Greater Inscription.

That should help out a bit.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Tamerlane » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:35 pm

haha i totally forgot about enchants thanks for reminding me. After enchantswill I be good to go you think?
Tamerlane

Postby guillex » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:29 pm

You have to look at your stats after enchants, and see what you can do where. if you're going to just be running 5mans, then you're worried about your defense being up at 490 for uncrittability ... After that, you're trying to balance stam, uncrit/uncrushable (102.4% avoidance with your libram and HS up).

I really can't tell you what it's going to look like after enchants, you'll have to watch it as you go along. But you're well on your way!

Another thing I just saw ... might want to think about changing your neck to the CE revered rep necklace, Strength of the Untamed (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29173). You're going to lose 13 stam, but you gain dodge and defense rating. The stam you can socket a few solid stars of elune.

Also, look for Thatia's Self-Correcting Gauntlets in The Arcatraz (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28390). I prefer them over mp5/int/sd that you get with the righteous, but that's my personal preference.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby adese » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:22 am

Guillex wrote:You have to look at your stats after enchants, and see what you can do where. if you're going to just be running 5mans, then you're worried about your defense being up at 490 for uncrittability ... After that, you're trying to balance stam, uncrit/uncrushable (102.4% avoidance with your libram and HS up).

If you don't care about tanking raid bosses at all, then you only need to get to 485 defense - 490 defense is necessary to be uncrittable by a level 73 mob (raid boss).

The same for uncrushable - you only need to worry about crushing blows against a raid boss, nothing in a 5 man can ever crush (since they never get higher than level 72).
adese

Postby sangre » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:24 am

adese wrote:If you don't care about tanking raid bosses at all, then you only need to get to 485 defense - 490 defense is necessary to be uncrittable by a level 73 mob (raid boss).

The same for uncrushable - you only need to worry about crushing blows against a raid boss, nothing in a 5 man can ever crush (since they never get higher than level 72).

QFT.

The same rules also apply for offtanking in Kara. You don't need to worry about uncrushability unless you're going to be the main tank (in most cases). The only real exception to this is Attumen, and most raids can kill him with the main tank crushable in the first place.
sangre

Postby guillex » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:38 am

Guillex wrote:You have to look at your stats after enchants, and see what you can do where. if you're going to just be running 5mans, then you're worried about your defense being up at 490 for uncrittability ... After that, you're trying to balance stam, uncrit/uncrushable (102.4% avoidance with your libram and HS up) if you're going to MT/OT raids.

I really can't tell you what it's going to look like after enchants, you'll have to watch it as you go along. But you're well on your way!

Another thing I just saw ... might want to think about changing your neck to the CE revered rep necklace, Strength of the Untamed (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29173). You're going to lose 13 stam, but you gain dodge and defense rating. The stam you can socket a few solid stars of elune.

Also, look for Thatia's Self-Correcting Gauntlets in The Arcatraz (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28390). I prefer them over mp5/int/sd that you get with the righteous, but that's my personal preference.

Fix't... though I'm still under the impression that 490 has been given as the magic number for uncrittable for 5mans and up, as base. From what I've read, anyways. Don't remember seeing 485 at all.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Warrender » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:07 am

Guillex wrote:Fix't... though I'm still under the impression that 490 has been given as the magic number for uncrittable for 5mans and up, as base. From what I've read, anyways. Don't remember seeing 485 at all.

485 to be uncrittable against level 72 and below mobs at level 70. 490 to be uncrittable against level 73 and below mobs at level 70. 5 mans don't have any level 73 mobs (which are typically raid bosses) so 485 Defense works just fine.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:42 am

/emote bows

Duly noted. Thank you
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Tamerlane » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:53 am

Ok so i've managed to get to 11.2k hp now..

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... =Tamerlane

I tried tanking heroic arcatraz, but the first boss with his shadow damage is just brutal....do you guys have any tips as to what would be a good easy first heroic to try tanking?
Tamerlane

Postby Baelor » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:59 am

Tamerlane wrote:Ok so i've managed to get to 11.2k hp now..

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... =Tamerlane

I tried tanking heroic arcatraz, but the first boss with his shadow damage is just brutal....do you guys have any tips as to what would be a good easy first heroic to try tanking?

Heroic Slave Pens, Mechanar, and Steamvaults are what I consider easiest, followed by Ramparts and Underbog.

If you've got a warlock, try Mechanar (hooray for banish & enslave!). If you've got a mage, try Slave Pens (sheep is overpowered). If you've got both, pwn face.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Return to Basic Training & Talents