shadow labs

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

shadow labs

Postby Tumeric » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:24 am

i am just curious how you maintankadin's take on murmur, as of last night i tried it quite a few times and could tank him easily with very few spell damage equips. but i run into a problem, i can outrun the sonic boom but i get slowed in the middle of the hall and before i can get back he starts throwing 4k bolts. I then started full tanking through the sonic boom and it worked well but with a fresh to 70 pally tank and a fresh to 70 pally healer it was hard to stay alive, but i lived through 3 of them and got unlucky @1%.

So mainly i am just wondering about some strategies that pallies use to take on Murmur.
Tumeric

Postby Kvaern » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:00 am

Use Bubble/LoH if you're not t max life just before the boom.
Kvaern

Postby Everlight » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:39 am

If you are low on max hitpoints (NOT current hp, that's unimportant), run out and back in again. You need to be quick running back in again.

If you have reasonable HP, just stand there and take it. The boom always takes you to 20% health, so as long as you know he won't one-shot you when you are on 20%, it's all good.

Incidentally, it doesn't matter if you are on 100% or 25% when it goes off, it will only take you to 20% health. The sonic boom will never kill you.
Everlight

Postby jere » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:52 am

a lot of it is timing really. I am able to time the run in / run out so that he doesn't start pounding people most of the time. It's not too bad once you get the hang of it. The secret is knowing when to turn around and start running back...and that just takes practice. If you are getting slowed running out, then you are leaving too late. If you are getting slowed running in, you are running back too early. If you time it right, you should never get slowed.

The fun thing is tanking him on heroic...everyone (healers included) have to stand in max melee range, run out, and then run back in. Fun times.
jere

Postby Kvaern » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:05 am

Everlight wrote:If you are low on max hitpoints (NOT current hp, that's unimportant), run out and back in again. You need to be quick running back in again.

If you have reasonable HP, just stand there and take it. The boom always takes you to 20% health, so as long as you know he won't one-shot you when you are on 20%, it's all good.

Incidentally, it doesn't matter if you are on 100% or 25% when it goes off, it will only take you to 20% health. The sonic boom will never kill you.

Are you sure about the 20%, on heroic also?
Kvaern

Postby Kvaern » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:06 am

jere wrote:The fun thing is tanking him on heroic...everyone (healers included) have to stand in max melee range, run out, and then run back in. Fun times.

I always eat the boom on heroic.
Kvaern

Postby jere » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:50 am

Kvaern wrote:
I always eat the boom on heroic.

The fun part is your healers having to run in and out a lot. Most of them aren't used to having to do that, even though they can position better to run out than I can.
jere

Postby Blutreich » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:41 am

usually i just eat the booms, if you got a priest it is easy.
the boom hits for a % of your current hp. so when the boom is coming have them stop healing you, do not bother getting you to full hp, just shield and mending you, then gear up for a big heal to go through just after the boom. An added thing that helps he almost always follows the boom with touch so your healer has a few sec before he starts up his melee again. sham are the 2nd easiest for the fight, with earth shield, pally healers are about the worst IMO but usually even with them i just have them get ready with a big heal, also i don't use kings, more hp = bigger hits from the boom.

if you are worried about yoru healer, you can always pop a [Regal Protectorate], pot or healthstone after the boom.
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby Nich » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:08 am

The first few times I did Murmur, I tried and failed miserably at the running in/out strategy.

Since then, in Normal and Heroic, I just stand in and eat the hit.

If you and your healer time it so that you get a big heal to land on yourself, just after your HP drops, it's easy sauce.
Nich

Postby TokenElf » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:46 am

I was playing a resto Shaman last night. The Bear sat in the boom the first attempt and I got a "bad touch" right before so suddenly we were hosed. 3rd time we didn't have any bad touches. Heck, the rogue almost camped in the tent with me hitting him with a heal every time.

Paladins don't have the charge. That's a major pain. I know that good healers don't care if you get hit by the boom. Shaman will just stack the rank 1 healing wave buff. 18% extra heal on the healing waves coming in will mean that if they time it to go off after the boom you will see both your mana and health bar soar.

Paladins really have a hard time healing murmur. Heals need to be big or HoTs and other tools need to be available. All of those favor other healers. That said, you can still do it with one.

Sit in melee. As was said before, you have a bubble and LoH if the healer is slow or if the healer's low on mana. If it's a paladin he may have to sack up and ot use FoL and instead use a big heal.
TokenElf

Postby guillex » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:56 am

I'd venture to say you're standing too close to the model. Don't run right into the model to tank him, stay just outside where you're barely close enough, but still hitting him.

Should give you more than enough time to run out and back in.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Kayallah » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:18 am

I'm really, really, really bad at running in and out.

I'll usually make it 1 or 2 times in the fight and the rest I get stuck... so whenever possible I stay in and eat it (When my healer doesn't go ape shit about it) lols.

Heroic I haven't tanked yet, but on my priest when I did it the tank jsut stayed in... no one else was in melee range but we were all close.
Kayallah

Postby honorshammer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:26 am

The clue I use is to watch my Judgement button. When it "lights" up (the number on it goes from Red to White) I know I'm in range.

Some of their models are really big. I use the run in / run out method. Works for me and my groups.
honorshammer

Return to Basic Training & Talents