Curator and Prince

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Curator and Prince

Postby Thunderfury » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:35 pm

I'm an upcoming OT for my guild's Kara groups. I can't be MT since we choose depending on gear, but I thought being an OT would be fine for the time being. That being said, there are two fights that I have no idea what my role is. We have 3 healers so most of the time having a fourth is overkill.

What should I do on Curator and Prince? Any ideas? I suppose I could DPS, but I'm worried I would only hurt my guild with my sub par damage.
Thunderfury
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:04 pm

Postby kvark » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:31 pm

on curator you'd be put on dps'ing arcane flares, but I'd suggest that they put you at tank on curator and a warrior / cat on flares - as the dps on the flares is where the actual fight lies. Tanking curator is just too easy.



on prince, go for the best geared, altho - putting a pallie as tank on this fight means that the dps'ers can go "all out" because the extra threat from exorsism, making the fight far more managable....but he hurts you like nothing else.
Image
kvark
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:14 am
Location: The Norway

Postby adese » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:24 am

kvark wrote:on prince, go for the best geared, altho - putting a pallie as tank on this fight means that the dps'ers can go "all out" because the extra threat from exorsism, making the fight far more managable....but he hurts you like nothing else.


If you are uncrushable, then it is much better to have a Paladin tank Prince than a Warrior. Not having any crushing blows during Phase 2 makes healing that part of the fight much easier.

And that's not mentioning the crazy amount of threat you can get on him, like kvark said.
Image
Image
adese
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Aggramar

Postby ulushnar » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:25 am

Yeah, 8 charges on improved Holy Shield really make for a difference when the Prince goes DW. That said, in the Curator, I'd go bolt-soaking (I actually did this last night). You can generate a fair amount of threat easily and since you're not tanking, then you won't risk exceeding the tank's threat.

On the Prince, well the only times I've been near him with Ulu has been as a tank. I imagine the only other role we could do would be as an extra healer. The fight can be a bit intensive on healers thanks to the need to constantly spamheal the tank.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Postby sangre » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:34 am

I also agree that having an OT paladin tanking Curator is better while the Warrior is on DPS. We do this in my group, and even while uncrushable I still don't have a hard time handling Curator at all.

Check the thread about "Threat on Curator" for some good tips on what to do to maximize your damage during Evocation.
sangre
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:26 am

Postby adese » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:39 am

I have been both MT and OT on Curator - it really depends on who the other tank is. Whomever of us has the better gear is MT.

When we first started running Kara, and we were trying to get Curator down, I had the +AR set crafted for me by a Scryer BS. The relatively low amount of damage that I take is pretty crazy - healers always love healing me on that fight.

That said, I do tend to have some mana issues later on in the fight, since I am not taking much damage. At this point, I am high enough on threat that I can just use SoW/JoW for a while and that regens most/enough of my mana for the next evocate (or I can pop a mana pot in the case of an emergency).

Finally, if you find yourself OT on Curator, try to wear more dps/spell damage gear than tanking gear. The only damage you'll be taking are his hateful bolts and maybe the random hit or two from the adds. This is all spell damage, so your avoidance and armor aren't really doing much for you there, while the extra spell damage will increase your threat output to stay ahead of the dps when they are on Curator for the evocations.
Image
Image
adese
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Aggramar

Postby Argus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:24 am

I've tanked Prince once, and my threat wasn't really that high as I had imagined it to be compared to the rest of my group.. It's probably because of the fact that they have far superior gear, as we have just downed Lurker, and I still need lots of loot from Karazhan.
Argus
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:14 am
Location: Chromaggus-EU

Postby Daedallus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:19 pm

biggest bonus on prince is the 8 charges of holy shield compared to 4 charges over same period for shield block for warriors, and the chance that it won't be up and they will get crushed.

depending on the warrior, their threat can be as high as ours or higher, i've come accross both low threat warrior tanks and high threat tanks, and other than some minor talent choices, i cant see what the difference is, other than skill =x Both classes generate tons more threat when actually tanking than while not.

once you have wrynn legs and your gloves (if you care to get them), if your raid leader still makes the warrior tank curator, just ask to be subbed out and take a 15 minute break :P not much for you off aran iether.

That said, i've had quite a bit of luck being bolt tank as well, funneling the mana i get back from heals into dps and the odd heal to keep a rogue alive. its actually more fun than tanking the encounter. cuz all you really have to do to tank it is burn wings during the first evocation and spam out threat and your set for the whole thing.
Image
Daedallus
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 1:32 pm

Postby Holyfield » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:53 am

Agreed. I've tanked Prince a number of times, with relative ease and being crushed less than 1 % of the time (darn global cooldowns), so MT'ing on prince shouldn't be too much of an issue. Curator, I regularly hateful bolt absorb if we don't have someone else doing it. Just pop beside curator, judge light, seal vengeance, have fun. Heal yourself through it, it's quite easy really. Although, the BEST hateful bolt absorber I've found is an AR decked out rogue. Good hate generation, more dps on curator at all times, and super easy to heal with seal of light up on him. Kind of comical really.

Once Kara becomes more comfortable, you'll run with 2 healers instead of 3, so you'll tend to pop into a backup healer mode which, in my opinion, is a little more handy than having the prot warrior attempt to dps. Contrastingly, I tend to tank bosses if my 2nd tank is a feral druid who just swaps out to kitty mode.

Long story short, keep working that gear up, and adjust to what your raid ends up bringing to Kara.
Holyfield
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:29 am

Postby Aina » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:00 pm

If I'm not tanking Curator, I'm DPSing flares in full Retribution gear with Righteous Fury on and using Seal of Blood. This makes the flares stick to me most of the time, meaning all the ranged people don't get any damage from them and thus no knockback on casts.

We've been over this before on these forums, but as far as I know Curator's Hatefull Bolts go to the person with the most current HP (except the aggro-holder). I usually have the most HP even when DPSing, but tbh, it really doesn't matter who eats the bolts anyways. So we just ignore them and let them fly where-ever they wish to fly :)
User avatar
Aina
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:57 am

Postby Anuji » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:30 pm

Aina wrote:If I'm not tanking Curator, I'm DPSing flares in full Retribution gear with Righteous Fury on and using Seal of Blood. This makes the flares stick to me most of the time, meaning all the ranged people don't get any damage from them and thus no knockback on casts.

We've been over this before on these forums, but as far as I know Curator's Hatefull Bolts go to the person with the most current HP (except the aggro-holder). I usually have the most HP even when DPSing, but tbh, it really doesn't matter who eats the bolts anyways. So we just ignore them and let them fly where-ever they wish to fly :)


no think the bolt goes to the second in threat-list.
your way just can't be right cuz our holy-paladin took them last time over a 12k hp-buffed warlock
Image
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... ck&n=Anuji
Hope it's understandable what i'm sayin' :D
User avatar
Anuji
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:35 am
Location: NRW, Germany

Postby Boruc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:33 pm

Anuji wrote:
Aina wrote:If I'm not tanking Curator, I'm DPSing flares in full Retribution gear with Righteous Fury on and using Seal of Blood. This makes the flares stick to me most of the time, meaning all the ranged people don't get any damage from them and thus no knockback on casts.

We've been over this before on these forums, but as far as I know Curator's Hatefull Bolts go to the person with the most current HP (except the aggro-holder). I usually have the most HP even when DPSing, but tbh, it really doesn't matter who eats the bolts anyways. So we just ignore them and let them fly where-ever they wish to fly :)


no think the bolt goes to the second in threat-list.
your way just can't be right cuz our holy-paladin took them last time over a 12k hp-buffed warlock


Either your dps sucks or your paladin had more health. A healer can't be higher on treath than dpsers.
70 Prot paladin - Boulderfist EU! Go for avoidance!

Image
Boruc
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Postby Anuji » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Boruc wrote:
Anuji wrote:
Aina wrote:If I'm not tanking Curator, I'm DPSing flares in full Retribution gear with Righteous Fury on and using Seal of Blood. This makes the flares stick to me most of the time, meaning all the ranged people don't get any damage from them and thus no knockback on casts.

We've been over this before on these forums, but as far as I know Curator's Hatefull Bolts go to the person with the most current HP (except the aggro-holder). I usually have the most HP even when DPSing, but tbh, it really doesn't matter who eats the bolts anyways. So we just ignore them and let them fly where-ever they wish to fly :)


no think the bolt goes to the second in threat-list.
your way just can't be right cuz our holy-paladin took them last time over a 12k hp-buffed warlock


Either your dps sucks or your paladin had more health. A healer can't be higher on treath than dpsers.


sure they can if your dps waits to attack..
or do you think the healers also wait cuz the dps is waiting?
Image
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... ck&n=Anuji
Hope it's understandable what i'm sayin' :D
User avatar
Anuji
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:35 am
Location: NRW, Germany

Postby guillex » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:50 pm

Anuji wrote:
Boruc wrote:
Anuji wrote:
Aina wrote:If I'm not tanking Curator, I'm DPSing flares in full Retribution gear with Righteous Fury on and using Seal of Blood. This makes the flares stick to me most of the time, meaning all the ranged people don't get any damage from them and thus no knockback on casts.

We've been over this before on these forums, but as far as I know Curator's Hatefull Bolts go to the person with the most current HP (except the aggro-holder). I usually have the most HP even when DPSing, but tbh, it really doesn't matter who eats the bolts anyways. So we just ignore them and let them fly where-ever they wish to fly :)


no think the bolt goes to the second in threat-list.
your way just can't be right cuz our holy-paladin took them last time over a 12k hp-buffed warlock


Either your dps sucks or your paladin had more health. A healer can't be higher on treath than dpsers.


sure they can if your dps waits to attack..
or do you think the healers also wait cuz the dps is waiting?


Then your holy pally is bad, doesn't have Omen/Threat to watch his gains, is using Righteous Fury, rushes in to heal right off, or all of the above.

I never, ever, ever make it high on the threat list, and neither do our other holy pally, nor the holy priest. I never throw a HL on our tank when he starts tanking. FoLs for the first few seconds while he's getting threat, and then I adjust.

But I'm never high on the threat list.
Póg mo thóin
Image
User avatar
guillex
Moderator
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Postby Anuji » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:04 pm

so...
no the paladin isn't bad at all....

maybe it's just my spelling but think of this situation:
i'm "pulling" the Curator and take him to the spot were i want to tank him, at this point i am the only one on his threat-list, now.. the paladin heals me, so he is the second on the threat list with maybe 1k threat right after me..

Now the first flare is going off him and the warlock puts his immolate on it, now he's on the threat-list AFTER the paladin... the paladin get the bolt.


TY for listening -_-
No my raid isn't gimped and no none of my healers or dps'ers are gimped either, it was just "the worst moment".
Image
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... ck&n=Anuji
Hope it's understandable what i'm sayin' :D
User avatar
Anuji
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:35 am
Location: NRW, Germany

Next

Return to Karazhan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest