Remove Advertisements

SoV or SoR for tanking

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

SoV or SoR for tanking

Postby cyndeace » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:10 pm

I just hit 64 and got SoV. I'm just curious what most of you prefer, and which does most threat. Right now I stick with SoR on trash, use it for the first 40% of a boss then switch to SoV. Would I be better off using SoR all the time, or SoV?
cyndeace

Postby pyrotechniq » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:11 pm

If you can get SoV to stay stacked to 5 its a little more threat. SoR is just more reliable imo
pyrotechniq

Postby adese » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:15 am

I personally use SoR/JoR for tanking.

When I first got SoV, I would use it to tank bosses, and it worked pretty well. It doesn't do well on trash due to the length of time it takes to give you any significant amount of threat. With SoR/JoR, you can build an early threat lead easier, letting the DPS open up sooner.

I ended up not using SoV much because it's really hard to build a stack (and keep it up) using a fast weapon. I don't have any threat problems with SoR, so I just stick to that.
adese

Postby Alixander » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:50 am

Adese pretty well summed it up. The problem with SoV is that with anything under a 3.0 speed weapon or slower you can't be sure you'll keep up the stacks. While if you can keep SoV's debuff up it generates approximately equal threat for less mana and the Judgement hits harder. If the stacks fall off you've lost a fairly large amount of time and threat. As long as SoR hits, it hits for a set amount of damage (precluding resists) which leads to a more predictable threat curve, which is what we really want.
Alixander

Postby Zonzede » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:56 am

The way to use SoV on bosses it to pop your wings, pop a trinket if available, and then begin your stack. Even after the buffs wear off, your SoV ticks remain boosted.
Zonzede

Postby Alixander » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:58 am

Zonzede wrote:The way to use SoV on bosses it to pop your wings, pop a trinket if available, and then begin your stack. Even after the buffs wear off, your SoV ticks remain boosted.
>.> This has got to get fixed. There is no way that's an intended mechanic. Not saying to not use it, just don't get used to it...
Alixander

Postby honorshammer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:13 am

All DoTs work that way. Hunter's do the same trick with Scorpid Poisions.
honorshammer

Postby Cames » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:13 am

The mechanic is in 3 places:

1 - BM hunters with Scorpid Pets
2 - Lifebloom Druids
3 - Paladins and SoV

We are debating this stuff on our guild boards about when it gets fixed or if it is so complicated it never gets fixed.
What is not dead can eternal lie;
In strange aeons, even death may die.
Cames

Postby pyrotechniq » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 pm

Hunter told me theirs has alrdy been fixed, cuz i had commented to him about how wings and SoV worked and he wanted to know if SoV wings had been fixed as well.
pyrotechniq

Postby Cames » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:27 pm

It has not been fixed. I used it yesterday on my hunter.
What is not dead can eternal lie;
In strange aeons, even death may die.
Cames

Postby cyndeace » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:11 pm

Zonzede wrote:The way to use SoV on bosses it to pop your wings, pop a trinket if available, and then begin your stack. Even after the buffs wear off, your SoV ticks remain boosted.

Ok, I feel like a complete idiot, but what is "wings"?
cyndeace

Postby neokai » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:13 am

cyndeace wrote:

Ok, I feel like a complete idiot, but what is "wings"?

Avenging Wrath, it's a lvl 70 skill you can learn from your trainer, increases all damage by 30% for a short period of time and gives you a pair of holy wings. The bug is that a SoV stack started when you pop AW will last so long as that stack is maintained.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby cyndeace » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:37 am

Hehe thanks, I thought I was missing some skill, and I guess I am, but I can't get it for another 6 levels.
cyndeace

Postby pyrotechniq » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:39 am

Cames wrote:It has not been fixed. I used it yesterday on my hunter.

Hmm, well i dunno ...thats just what he told me . :shock:
pyrotechniq

Postby Zonzede » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:08 pm

All dots and hots work in that fashion. The reason it applies more to Lifebloom, scorpid poisons, and Seal of Vengeance is that the duration can be refreshed indefinitely.
Zonzede

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents