Remove Advertisements

Heroic Slave Pens - Mennu's Nova Totem

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Slave Pens - Mennu's Nova Totem

Postby Arcand » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:57 am

So as we know, Mennu the Betrayer sometimes drops a Corrupted Nova Totem. If you hit it, it explodes for 7000-ish damage.

I tell groups to just ignore it, (though I pull Mennu away from it just in case), because it's my understanding that if it isn't hit it eventually sucks into the ground without exploding. I'm 95% sure that I've seen this, in fact.

However, last night my priestess was healing a warrior in hSP, and he said the following things:

a) "I don't roll with CC"
b) "Yo Tazzie, don't go cat - for DPS you wanna be bear"
c) "Common misconception - the nova totem always explodes, so I'll just whack it when it comes up"

a) and b) damaged his credibility as far as I was concerned, but does anyone know for sure about c)? WoWhead agrees with him that the totem counts down to detonation.
Arcand

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:24 am

The totem does always explode, but purposefully hitting it to explode it on you (instead of getting away from it) is retarded.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Frickit » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:01 am

Lore wrote:The totem does always explode, but purposefully hitting it to explode it on you (instead of getting away from it) is retarded.

I always just thought it periodically went off until it was killed. Like if we kill it fast it doesnt go off at all. I just let it hit me because it doesnt do a lot of damage (although it used to) Is it different the way it works from normal to heroic? Come to think of it Ive never had melee in slave pens.
Frickit

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:02 am

IIRC it is indeed different in heroic. We always killed it in normal.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Targonis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:09 am

As a fire nova totem it works the same way a shamans does, ticks for a few seconds and then explodes destroying the totem and everything around it. You just walk away from it and theirs never a problem, you got plenty of time... at this point in the game I tell people I'm going to explode it simply to get mana back from the heals I get, and let the melee know when they see it to move out... the 7k ish Damage is only 35-40% of the life at this stage of the game, which is some nice mana back.
Targonis

Postby Ashmadai » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:27 pm

I was under the impression that if you do not hit it, it goes away. Basically a read the name check for people to make sure they don't hit it. I don't remember it ever blowing up if it wasn't damaged. However, I always blow it up on myself in Heroic SP purposefully so I can get healed and get some mana back.
Ashmadai

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:01 pm

In heroic mode, it explodes when you hit it or after a few seconds. I don't remember how long but you have plenty of time to get away from it. If your group is overgeared, just ignore it, if not, move the group away.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Arcand » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:13 pm

Would it still show an explosion animation if there was nobody in range?

I'm wondering if graphic settings had anything to do with it, since the priestess was in SSC the night before and I had to turn down some detail settings to smooth things out.
Arcand

Postby Argali » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:22 pm

I kill the odd totem once in a while for mana :P
Argali

The trick is to ignore the totems and its good practice

Postby ldeboer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:21 pm

The easy way to do this is to get everyone to totally ignore the totems by kite tanking him.

Have healer stand half way in the tunnel and pull him and run to start of tunnel drop consecrate and tank him for a few seconds. After a little period or you see him cast a totem move down the tunnel a way and drop another consecrate and wait for him to come to you. Keep moving up and down and then back up the tunnel. Basically you are pulling him out of range of his totems.

It's also good practice for the 1st boss of H-SV which you will need to kite tank to stay out of clouds, Gauntlet run in ZA and 2nd boss in H-BM who gives you a nasty debuff which requires you to kite tank.
ldeboer

Postby Spectrum » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:42 am

Huh, I was totally under the impression that it doesn't explode if you don't hit it but from what I'm reading I am wrong.

The smart thing to do is move away from it, but I always have stupid people who hit it anyway, if I'm getting people to hit totems at all, so I guess I never got to see it explode after 15 secs.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:21 am

I have seen it explode from a distance, so I am sure it explodes no matter what. Killing it just makes it explode faster. wowhead agrees:

Corrupted Fire Nova Totem: Explodes after 5 secs for around 2,500 fire damage to everyone in a 10 yard radius of the totem. Heroic Mode: Explodes after ~15 seconds or when destroyed for around 6500 fire damage in a 10 yard radius of the totem. Melee DPS should put on gear in which they get ~7.1k health so they can survive a higher end damage range if the totem is accidentally destroyed. Ranged DPS and healers should take care not to stand close to the totem because higher end damage will probably oneshot them.

http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=17941
jere

Postby Arcand » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:27 pm

jere wrote:I have seen it explode from a distance, so I am sure it explodes no matter what.

And for sure nobody hit it with Multishot or whatever, and the healer didn't decide she couldn't take the suspense anymore and wand it?
Arcand

Postby ldeboer » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Arcand wrote:
jere wrote:I have seen it explode from a distance, so I am sure it explodes no matter what.

And for sure nobody hit it with Multishot or whatever, and the healer didn't decide she couldn't take the suspense anymore and wand it?

ROFL

Why is it I can just see that happening ... you must run in some of the groups I have been with :)
ldeboer

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics