Remove Advertisements

Black Morass Regular. A strange request.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Ghort » Thu May 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Personally... I dropped the gold for the crystal forged sword. The others might have a little more spell damage, but that sword has + to block rating also, which helps you hit uncrushable that much faster
80 Paladin (Prot) - Azual
80 Warrior (Prot/Arms) - Madarab
80 Mage (Arcane/Frost pvp) Arlensul
80 DK (Blood Tank) Deadkitten
80 Priest (holy/disc) - Ghort
5/12 ICC 10

Runetotem Server, Fifth Column
Ghort

Postby Kelaan » Thu May 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Shoju wrote:I have a plan for gear at this point, and yes the timewardens are a part of it. Do I really want the KoT blade? Wouldn't the crystalforged sword be better?

I bought the CF sword because it had better uncrushable stats, and I didn't have the reputation for the KoT sword. If you have the CF (or will at 70), GREAT! Use it until you get an epic spelldamage weapon. If you don't have it already, though, it might be worth getting in the meantime once you get the reputation.

KoT sword < Crystalforged < PVP mace < Cudgel of Consecration < S2 mace (I think?).

If you're going to be 5-man/heroic tanking, the uncrushability on the CF sword are nice but nonessential -- and once you get either one (the KoT or CF), and put a +40 spelldamage enchant on it, I wouldn't really stress about the other unless you're *so-close* to uncrushability that it will make a difference.
Kelaan

It's not as strange as it sounds

Postby ldeboer » Thu May 22, 2008 6:39 pm

This strat is not strange at all back in the dawns of time before povo S1 epics and nerfed badge heroics groups didnt have the dps or +heals they do these days.

It took longer to kill bosses with alot more adds therefore spawning and gave you the option if you got overlapping portals for the tank to run to next boss without worrying about adds.

You used your lowest rank consecrate you were not trying to so much as kill the adds as tie them up uptil the boss was down and the dps cavalry could arrive. The healer throw you occasional heals.

The other option was a +800 spell damage mage or a well gear elemental shaman or dps warrior who could solo them which was rare rare.

The option of tanking them all was simply not viable not because of the tank but no healer had enough mana and enough +heals to do it in those days +800 was considered alot of plus heals.

Sorry but everything has been nerfed and gear increased to make more content accessible but the current strat would never have worked in the old days no more than you laugh at old strats.

It's a bit like saying I can tank the whole packs of 6 in shadow labs these days ... woppee .... in the old days there were 2 shadow priests in every pull a whole extra pack and every mob has now about half the HP and damage and you healer about a third +heals of a current average healer does.
ldeboer

Postby EvilNuff » Fri May 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Janduin wrote:The other problem with tanking BM at 68 or 67 can be threat generation on bosses. I remember trying this and the bosses were orange to me...needless to say I had trouble hitting them and therefore trouble generating threat.

This is the problem. Every time I have been there as healer or dps with a sub 70 tank they cannot hold agro on 72 elites and it throttles the dps down to the point where we could not kill in time.
EvilNuff

Postby Wakeman » Sat May 24, 2008 12:31 am

Shoju wrote:Would I need to generate much mana? I have 7400 unbuffed in my 'questing' garb.

Your mana overshoots too much. Most tankadins only have around 5k mana.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Fivelives » Mon May 26, 2008 6:16 am

The only thing I'd worry about is uncrittability (+3 mobs you'll be eating a lot of crits because it's hard to hit 490 def at 69) and surviving time stop on Aeonus. I know I shot up from ~9k to ~12k hp just from hitting 70, which is going to be the biggest issue for tanking BM.
Fivelives

Postby Meatydog » Sat May 31, 2008 10:41 pm

On the bright side, once you DO hit 70, you can get helm, legs (if you don't have Timewarden's), gloves, and cloak already in the mailbox.

What do you mean gear in the mailbox?
Someone sends you gear for hitting 70?
Meatydog

Postby maestro » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Meatydog wrote:What do you mean gear in the mailbox?
Someone sends you gear for hitting 70?

It is when you buy BoE items. They hit your mailbox after you buy. You put them on.

Well, you could just trade with somebody avoiding the mailbox. But that is off topic. :P
maestro

Postby Shoju » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:23 am

Wakeman wrote:
Shoju wrote:Would I need to generate much mana? I have 7400 unbuffed in my 'questing' garb.

Your mana overshoots too much. Most tankadins only have around 5k mana.

that's my AoE Questing/daily/i'm overleveled for this instance set. If you wanna take a look at it, I'm currently logged in it. I can't quest in my tanking gear. My drinking problem is worse than a mages if I do.
Shoju

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:57 pm

Not to mention crushing blows for the bosses...for an undergeared tank, that plus low avoidance on the 2nd boss could make your healer very annoyed at you. On the whole you should be able to do it fine, but I'd never take a sub-70 PuG tank to tank a level 70 instance...not worth the extra effort.

Get guildies to take you or just ding to 70.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Meatydog » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:57 pm

I tanked reg Bm at 69 undergeared with a undergeared healer.

We did awesome till aeonus. Then we wiped everytime.
The heals couldnt keep up with me and the DPS kept gettin aggro cause when he would stun me my threat would sink like the titanic. Everytime. I was always able to get it back but i always lost it.

Fun instance to me. Gonna try to down aeonus later this week.
Meatydog

Postby Arcand » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:29 pm

In soviet Russia, the Aeonus wipes you!

...sorry.
Arcand

Postby EvilNuff » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:44 pm

Guillex wrote:...
Dude. Go do it. You don't magically gain the ability to tank everything in BM when you gain that last level. You get what, a TP, and some stats.

To be perfectly honest ... yeah he kinda does. 70 itself is not so much the issue it is gear. Look at what you can have gear wise at 69 considering best in game stuff...then compare that to the trivially available 70 gear. I know when my tankadin hit 70 I had banked:
crystalforged sword (upgrade over level 62 sp sword)
felsteel gloves & legs (upgrade over who knows what crap I had heh)
CE revered neck
Devilshark cloak (from tanking SV at 69)

Alone right there those 6 items are *huge* upgrade in tank stats, hps (from gear + sockets both) and threat.
EvilNuff

Postby Barunduk » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:53 pm

On normal mode, after failing it a couple times, someone suggested "hey, why don't you just tank all the mobs right at the portals?" and I did and it worked. It worked very well.

I was 70 at the time in all blues and greens (Ornamented/Scaled rep reward pieces) and with only a basic understanding of what I was doing.

Anyone who says you need epics for normal BM is either a noob or they want to complete it in 20 minutes. Off tank? No, you don't need one with a paly tank - this instance is made for us in my experience!

Just be sure to use a lower level consecrate and manage your mana so that you're not oom when a boss spawns. JoW works well in this place.
Barunduk

Postby Sober » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:32 pm

I had a slight problem with regular BM. DPS were salved but I guess I had no mana when we tripped medivh, so the first 5 waves + boss were a little weird. I had to keep sitting to get heals while the DPS (salved) were pulling off me. Near the end I actually had to take off gear to take damage at all.

I had my healer in my focus frame, and he was hardly healing for a pally tank though, I would see and FoL and it would be as if he alt-tabbed out before tossing me another. Would that have been a problem?

I dunno, might have to just downrank consecrate even more for BM and JoW the minibosses, gonna give it another try hopefully tomorrow.
Sober

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics