Remove Advertisements

Any tricks to Zuljin eagle phase?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Any tricks to Zuljin eagle phase?

Postby Rokh » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:55 pm

So my group 1 shots every boss, we get 3 chests.. 2 or so min away from a bear mount.

But for the life of us we cant get past Zul Jin on a regular basis, some weeks we kill him, some weeks we dont.

Our biggest problem is the eagle phase, he doesnt die fast enough, it gets drawn out, and to many key classes die.

We use

Prot pally (me in healing gear)
Prot warrior
holy priest
holy priest
Holy pally

Hunter
Hunter
Rogue
Mage
(last spot tends to change alot)

We dont have any T6 items, but we are all in T5/badge gear.

Is there a fucking trick to eagle phase? if we get through it, its a 100% kill... but most nights we die to that stage 3-4 times then call it....

Tips... please!!!
Rokh

Postby sbeacher » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:54 am

With two hunters that should be EZ mode. I dunno what you're doing wrong (maybe they just aren't good dps?)

You're probably better off having you tank and having the warrior go dps as he will be able to do more damage during eagle phase.

It helps to have people who have a tornado following them to keep the tornadoes out of the middle so melee can just go apeshit on the boss.

Also people need to stay away from the entrance as too many times that I care to count we've had someone knocked through that by one of the tornadoes and unable to come back in.
sbeacher

Postby Caelus » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:06 am

I believe mages can add an instant cast spell right after a long spell cast and only getting zapped once. Say fireball+fireblast = 1 zap.

I think same applies to any other dps/healers. (e.g. HolyLight+HolyShock = 1zap)
Caelus

Postby Miyazaki » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:27 am

Vampiric Touch -> Sw:P = 1 Zap too :b so yeh, that's correct.

We've had problems on Zul'Jin yesterday too, we usually got through the Eagle phase but after that + Lynx phase we simply didnt have the dps to get him down fast enough in his last phase 'cause too many died before <_< lol

Oh well, we got it in the end anyways.
Miyazaki

Postby Arees » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:11 am

Caelus wrote:I believe mages can add an instant cast spell right after a long spell cast and only getting zapped once. Say fireball+fireblast = 1 zap.

I think same applies to any other dps/healers. (e.g. HolyLight+HolyShock = 1zap)

pretty sure I get zapped twice on my mage... I usually pyro, fireball, wand until I get a big heal then repeat... all while moving around dodging the tornados

hint: Any class that is a draenie can cast gift of the naaru without being zapped. We get our mages to help out on healing a little for that phase :)
Arees

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:19 am

1: EVERYONE must dps whenever possible, including healers. They are saving their casts for their biggest heals and everyone not casting should want the boss.
2: Healers can't be afraid of being hit. Use the biggest heals.
3: 4 healers? WTF? You tank him and the warrior puts on fury gear. Much more dps.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Canuun » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Every priest I talk to about it says Binding Heal is amazing for that phase, are your priests using that a lot? Also, priests casting prayer of mending on themselves whenever possible is great.

With 3 melee (4 if the warrior starts dpsing) this phase shouldn't drag out too long. If it is, your dps aren't spending enough time on the boss and are trying to run around too much. I generally try to keep a JoL on the boss, or JoL and imp JotC (talented for +crit) if we have 2 paladins to cut down on some of the healing for the melee. Remember that even in tank gear you cans wap to a healing weapon/shield/libram and help keep dps alive. Even if you go oom, a quick pot when ZJ is at 41% takes care of any mana issues.
Canuun

Re: Any tricks to Zuljin eagle phase?

Postby superworm » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Don't know whether you want tricks or tips :)

For tips:
1. hunter steady shot doesn't trigger the backfire;
2. don't run near the entrance;
3. at bear 60%, ask your teammates to max dot the boss (e.g. all priests put on SW: pain), the backfire doesn't happen at bear form and the dots will remain in eagle form;
4. healers use biggest heal, but if they are being chased by tornados, then use hots and other instant heals;
5. anyone should bandage themselves at proper times.

For my group, we never cast damaging spells at eagle form. Mages and destruction warlocks only use wands. The key is to avoid the tornados, not the heals. Generally when running around, several bandages could keep me up. Yeah we would usually spend more than two minutes at this phase but everyone was still alive after eagle phase.

For tricks (Don't recommend. Use with caution):
Ask your hunter to turn on Aspect of the Pack, dash-jump towards the left side of the ladder. A 30~40 degrees angle is ok and you should start jumping at the boundary of the wood and stone (brown and grey ground) and turn your camera in the air. If all goes well you should be standing in the air just up the wooden fence. Run along the wooden fence to the corner near the bear spirit. Your healers and ranged dpsers should stand there at the first 3 phases. This way the tornados couldn't chase these ppl. Remember to jump down the fence at the start of phase 4!
If you jump too hard and get inside the fence, just jump out of it from the mound.
superworm

Postby Ryuusuke » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:42 am

We go ALL OUT on ZulJin when hes at 62%
This is the time where we start our Bloodlust/Heroism and all Trinkets...
By the time he actually converts into the eagle boss he's lost 5% of his life already =)
Hunters and Melee do the Rest

Otherwise just SPREAD
and dont run around too much!

I - for myself - figured it's much better to simply take one hit then moving around too much, as this would affect other people aswell

Put up Seal of Light on the Boss!!! This usually is about 50% healing needed within this stage of the fight!
Ryuusuke

Postby PedroTacowalker » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:32 am

Casters: wand the whole time, locks can get off some great Dots too.
Tanks: Have the tank who can dps do it instead. (druids, warriors) Paladins heal.
Healers: Only big heals and call out who you are healing so others don't waste mana.
Melee: Go to town, pop trinkets etc, etc.
Everyone: Spread out, and he won't zap you till he is actually in eagle from, as it has been said, everyone go all out when he is in between bear and eagle forms.

Don't forget to group up at 40% to make lynx easier on the healers and dps.

Tankadins have a slight advantage in our fast threat between phases, heals during eagle, BoP's for clothies during lynx and fire aura for dragonhawk.
PedroTacowalker

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:44 am

PedroTacowalker wrote:Tanks: Have the tank who can dps do it instead. (druids, warriors) Paladins heal.
This is extremely variable. I don't recommend going with palatank healing and warrior tank over palatank tanking and warrior dpsing unless the healers really are having issues.
FIrst phase: loladds
Second phase: Self cleanse out of stun, less people take stuns.
Third phase: hmm....judge Light? Shoot HLs if the mana is good.
fourth phase: BoP ftw
fifth phase: res aura ftw

All phases: <scrubTank>"QQ NERF PALLY THREAT".
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby PedroTacowalker » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:33 pm

This is extremely variable. I don't recommend going with palatank healing and warrior tank over palatank tanking and warrior dpsing unless the healers really are having issues.

Just to be clear, I mean palitank heals for eagle phase, warr/druid dps, rest of the fight paladin should be the MT.
PedroTacowalker

Postby Seloei » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:36 pm

They've got a proper name for it in the youtube "videos".

Eagle phase is a "mana regen" phase for the healers, after the bear so try not to get damaged too much with casting spells that they have to be near oom before lynx hits.

Mark the healers, they spread out on the platform at eagle start.
Priests/locks/mages -> wand only
hunters -> steady shot only
rogue/warriors -> go nuts
shamans -> auto-attack ftw after you've released your earth elemental.

dps spreads out evenly around the platform (or as good as you can, so not 10 are in the same place etc) and just wind and grind the boring phase down. The real key about this phase is DO NOT move if a tornado is coming towards you and you KNOW someone is near you. It hits you once, pushes you back, and chooses a new target. Once people stop using spells that damage them and not bunching up, that phase isn't that hard.

And unless the prot warrior is massively better geared (e.g him in full t5 you in kara starter gear) you should be grabing this boss. Theres plenty of times and cues when to start casting your frisbee, smack a judgement ontop and you have enough agro off the bat most of the time.
Seloei

Return to Zul'aman