Remove Advertisements

Magisters' Terrace 2nd Boss Vexallus made easy

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 14, 2008 6:44 am

Aurthur wrote:I haven't yet tried him since I got my arcane resist set together (352 arcane resist)... with that and spell warding, hoping to see some 800-1000 pt ticks on consecrate! :)
the debuff dot isn't resistible AFAIK
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Lord_Paladin » Tue May 20, 2008 5:15 am

The boss' main attack also has a debuff that deals similar damage but doesn't last as long. I thought I was getting the debuff from the adds, but it was actually this dot (which is cleanseable)
Lord_Paladin

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue May 20, 2008 7:46 am

Lord_Paladin wrote:The boss' main attack also has a debuff that deals similar damage but doesn't last as long. I thought I was getting the debuff from the adds, but it was actually this dot (which is cleanseable)
There's both

Arcane shock? is that the name? And the energy release thingie from killing the adds. Everything that the boss does is resistible and the debuffs are cleansable, the pure energies are the only threat.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ashmadai » Tue May 20, 2008 8:48 am

For the record, the adds are 100% killable with consecrate. Usually they spawn just outside my consecrate range, but I've had several kills where I picked up the first 6 adds with my consecrate, and there's no way anything else did it.
Ashmadai

Postby Cearn » Tue May 20, 2008 9:19 am

Ashmadai wrote:For the record, the adds are 100% killable with consecrate. Usually they spawn just outside my consecrate range, but I've had several kills where I picked up the first 6 adds with my consecrate, and there's no way anything else did it.

So there's no way they stay in my consecration for more than a second because the dps are too slow. Unlucky that happens every run!
Cearn

Postby Velgarn » Tue May 27, 2008 3:17 pm

Been having a lot of trouble on this boss. I tried to run it last night and nothing we tried seemed to work right. For starters, I don't know what killed adds, but they did seem to love being out of range of concecrate. =/ I did kill a few, but I am thinking it was Ret Aura, not concecrate.

I would like to know what to do for this boss though, in my AR set I can reach 307 resist, which seemed to curb his normal attack damage a lot, but if I got the debuff it still hurt a ton. I suppose I could push more AR if I swapped some gear for greens, but I'd start losing +dmg, threat wasn't much of an issue though. Should I stack up as much AR as possible? Try to get all the adds on me too?

I think they fixed the candlestick bug as well, as up until last night I never had a problem with this boss. Regardless, I'm just not sure what to do with him, and I really want to get the trinket... and the mace would be a nice upgrade too!
Velgarn

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue May 27, 2008 3:25 pm

It's a healer check and a dps attention check.
Unless it's a paladin healer, you want to spread the debuffs on 2-3 people.
The healer can easily keep the tank up so if healing through the debuffs becomes hard, just THROTTLE THE DPS DOWN. YOu don't get adds on a time but on a damage basis. Stopping dps = stopping adds. Good if you would ratherl et the debuffs wear out.
Resist is largely unnecessary for this fight. A trinket alone will be enough.

Spreading the damage on pets is also a wonderful way of controlling it. Pets take slightly less damage from the dot, and are sacrificable. Voidwalkers are ideal(they have 1 hp and take 3~ seconds to attack, so ordering a pet on them is perfectly doable)
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby MrDuck » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:25 pm

ldeboer wrote:
Garov wrote:I'm not so sure about consecrate not affecting the sparks. I've stopped consecrating on this fight and notice I take a ton less damage because I'm not debuffed. Maybe consecrate isn't damaging them but is causing them to throw themselves on my holy shield/ret aura?
I don't really have the answer, but me not consecrating during this fight has made a noticeable difference for me.

I have a love/hate relationship with this boss. I absolutely hate killing him. But every group I've been in that wipes to him will cream the priestess fight without breaking a sweat.

Aye I have noticed the higher the dps group the more they die on this guy.

I think its because they have high dps they think they can just nuke everything and forget the adds come at 15% interval of vex's health and the faster you dps the faster the adds come. One group I went with had like 4 flares up and when the flares started aoeing and they all died. Me and healer were only ones left :)

I had the reverse a relatively low dps high cc group and they sailed thru this infact between 15% increments they were chatting organizing the two taking next two adds .. they all got equal buffs and we sailed thru the 20% to 0 with no deaths my only time I ever did this with no dps dying.
Well,we ran it with a group with 2 mages and Ele shammy,each doing roughly 1k dps constantly,we were doing great,but then wiped 5 times on Vex..i was like what's goin' on, i've tanked him plenty times on heroic and it was ok,shammy healer with either skill and gear also doesn't fail,neither do dpsers..and ten i realised we just nuke too fast,so i told the ele shammy to just go get a coffee,and it was fairly easy :-) So too much dps=fail >.<

BTW: i'm pretty sure about consecration not killing the adds,i always wanna get a debuff or two,cos it's not that big load of dmg,and boosts my threat by a lot,but unless they spawn when my judgement is ready so i can hit them directly with JoR, i never get them.
MrDuck

Postby Galoheart » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:02 am

Lookit wrote:
sucellus wrote:
Dorvan wrote:Why are you using Holy Shield on that fight? I'm pretty certain that like all other elemental melee damage, this guys attacks can't be blocked.

Can anyone confirm this? It's annoying as hell that there is no distinction between true melee and elemental melee so looking at recount it looks like melee dmg was huge thus I would obviously use Holy Shield.

My understanding has always been that elementals who deal elemental melee damage cannot be blocked. So if your combat log says "Vexallus hits you for 2165 Arcane damage" then it cannot be blocked. If it just said "Vexalus hits you for 2165 damage" then you'd know it was normal melee damage that could be blocked.

Does Holy Shield really Have no effect when engaging a elemental boss and this boss as well?

So if Holy Shield is useless then can you use a 2H on this boss the for DPS. Can I in essence switch to my Hammer of Righteous Might?
http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/ - My WoW Blog.
"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself".
Galoheart

Postby Lookit » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:25 am

Galoheart wrote:Does Holy Shield really Have no effect when engaging a elemental boss and this boss as well?

So if Holy Shield is useless then can you use a 2H on this boss the for DPS. Can I in essence switch to my Hammer of Righteous Might?

That sounds like a fine idea, actually. As far as I know, armor does not mitigate elemental melee damage, so losing the AC from your shield would not matter.

Note that http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32854 is probably the only 2Her in the game that I would recommend doing this with, as with a typical 2Her (one with high white damage but little to no spell damage) you simply wouldn't be generating as much threat. But this weapon's fast attack speed and high spell damage would be great, especially with the bonus of getting a 2H'ed coeffecient for SoR.
Lookit

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:02 am

Lookit wrote:
Galoheart wrote:Does Holy Shield really Have no effect when engaging a elemental boss and this boss as well?

That sounds like a fine idea, actually. As far as I know, armor does not mitigate elemental melee damage, so losing the AC from your shield would not matter.

Note that http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32854 is probably the only 2Her in the game that I would recommend doing this with, as with a typical 2Her (one with high white damage but little to no spell damage) you simply wouldn't be generating as much threat. But this weapon's fast attack speed and high spell damage would be great, especially with the bonus of getting a 2H'ed coeffecient for SoR.
You lose 1h spec. Not a good tradeoff.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:27 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
But this weapon's fast attack speed and high spell damage would be great, especially with the bonus of getting a 2H'ed coeffecient for SoR.
You lose 1h spec. Not a good tradeoff.

You lose 1H spec (if you have it), as well as the extra 60 spelldamage from a Cudgel + shield. Is the 2H coefficient of SoR worth that? (I don't know much about that, to be honest.)
Kelaan

Postby EvilNuff » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Kelaan wrote:...You lose 1H spec (if you have it)...

Why on earth would a tank ever not have 1h spec? Its fantastic.
EvilNuff

Postby jere » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:52 pm

EvilNuff wrote:

He didn't meant they didn't spec it, he meant they would lose its effect.

It only works when a 1H weapon is equipped. Hammer of Righteous Might is a 2H
jere

Postby Lookit » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:18 pm

jere wrote:
EvilNuff wrote:

He didn't meant they didn't spec it, he meant they would lose its effect.

It only works when a 1H weapon is equipped. Hammer of Righteous Might is a 2H

Evil is referring to where Kelaan said "if you have it".

http://www.wowwiki.com/Seal_of_Righteousness

The base damage of SoR has an 85% coefficient for 1 handed weapons, and a 120% coefficient for 2 handers. In addition to that, 1-handed SoR swings receive 9.2% of your spell damage per 1.0 weaponspeed, and 2-handed swings receive 10.8% per 1.0 weaponspeed.

So your SoR would definitely be doing a lot more damage, but is that enough to offset the loss of 1HWS and less spell damage? I don't know. And seeing as I'm not about to run out and buy that mace, I don't really care personally :P
Lookit

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics