Is it still tanking if we use CC (and a 2-hander)?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Is it still tanking if we use CC (and a 2-hander)?

Postby Minn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Instancing with a Protection spec and pvping as Retribution spec gets expensive. A couple times now I've just gone ahead and run the heroics with the Ret spec. Recently, a couple runs went so well I wondered if anyone else was doing the same thing and enjoying it. Typical gear is high stamina with as many melee bonuses as possible. Badge expertise/sta bracers/neck, 2x sta trinkets, Aldor Legplates, 2.3 bp and the rest pvp gear. Resilience puts me way over the uncritability mark. Block rating/BV are ignored completely, I only slap on a shield for the extra armor if my healer needs help keeping me up.

Heroic MgT: Druid(resto), Paladin(ret), Mage, Rogue, Hunter
Sap, Sheep, tear it up. I've run with good ae groups, but the simplicity of "kill skull ASAP" coupled with not even having to worry about cross-heals or the dreaded 5k Prayer of Mending vs. Consecrate, meant things died very quickly. Crusader Strike with SoC up, JoC/SoC was enough to hold aggro most of the time, and between HoJ and my groupmates we had the mobs locked down hard.
Against the larger packs, 2 CC, 1 mob for the hunter, rogue kills the imp, I AE the casters around a corner. AW+max consecrate, focus on the Sisters of Torment first since Exorcism gives a decent threat buffer.
Against bosses, I used a shield for parts of the first and second fights, but mostly used a 2h.

Heroic Mech: Priest(disc/pvp), Paladin(ret), Mage, Warlock, Shadowpriest
Sheep/Banish/Enslave kill. Seal of Command proccing with RF up is *ridiculous* threat. Stun/JoC works too. I was holding aggro vs my group without Consecrate, for the most part. Mana flow was a lot better than some Prot runs, thanks to this, the Shadow Priest, and slightly higher incoming damage (2h, no HS).

Are there other good groups/instances for ret+2h tanking? I'd like to try one with an enhancement shaman, rogue, mage dps team some time.
Minn

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics