Trouble on Hex Lord.

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Trouble on Hex Lord.

Postby Ashmadai » Wed May 28, 2008 5:29 am

So I've been running a ZA for a few weeks now, once a week generally. We have been getting the first 4 bosses very easily, and generally 2 chests. The main problem I run into is I have a couple DPSers that do really well for our gear level and run around the 1100-1300 mark. Then I end up with 2 or 3 doing 750 dps and bringing the average down quite a bit.

This past Saturday we got HLM down finally with a group I didn't think was really going to be able to, and then we went on to get Zul'jin down for the first time too. Well, last night I had a group that was probably doing about 1500 more DPS overall, and the same healers. The only difference last night was we lost my bear OT right before HLM so I was solo tanking.

I really didn't figure it was going to be a problem since I could just hold HLM and one add at a time and we could burn the adds down.

We never even really got close to killing him. We had one solid attempt but the healers just kept dying. I want to say it was just a bad night, but it frustrates me when I have a good solid group and we can't do something I know we're capable of.

Unfortunately we're all in a t5 guild so no SR gear for the fight.

As one final question too, when Hex Lord steals Paladin/Priest and starts casting heals, what exactly can interrupt him? My mage told me he could not counterspell them and got an immune message, but he has improved counterspell so I thought maybe it was just the silence he was immune to. I had a warrior trying to pummel but it just wasn't enough with him being the only one interrupting.
Ashmadai

Postby ulushnar » Wed May 28, 2008 5:37 am

Warriors, Shamans and Rogues can definately all interrupt. Mages can as well, I think, so the immune was probably down to the fear part.

Healers in Stamina gear helps. Prayer of shadow Protection all round as well.

Shackle/Banish/Sheep as many of the adds as possible. Use sleep if you have it on the beast or dragonkin as a short term CC if you need to kill more than one add.

Kill whatever adds can't be CC'd first. If this takes longer than the first Spirit Shards phase, have an interrupter switch to the boss after the Spirit Shards to interrupt heals.

Apart from that nuke him hard, watch out for his abilities, and pray none of your cc breaks during a Spirit Shards phase.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 28, 2008 5:39 am

He's not immune to any interrupt. That immune was the second talented effect. It's the same for improved kick. Or felhunter's spell lock.

1: Find out what is killing your group. Dieing healers? Are the adds loose for even a single second? This is a high healer threat fight.
2: Don't let him heal. Lifebloom specifically has to be spellstolen to avoid the healing factor.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ashmadai » Wed May 28, 2008 7:29 am

Yeah, it was pretty much the healers dying that killed us last night. I think a couple of them were just having off nights, because usually they don't die to stupid stuff like HLMs consecrate, etc., and that's what was happening.

Our mage is really good about spellstealing the lifebloom and wings off him, but he thought he was immune to counterspell probably due to getting the immune message regarding the silence aspect of his counterspell. I'll have to let him know he can in fact counter the heals. That would actually be better since HLM usually starts using holy light while his consecrate is still on the ground, making it tough for a warrior/rogue to get in there to pummel/kick it.
Ashmadai

Postby Robbert » Wed May 28, 2008 10:38 am

Ulushnar wrote:Kill whatever adds can't be CC'd first. If this takes longer than the first Spirit Shards phase, have an interrupter switch to the boss after the Spirit Shards to interrupt heals.

I've found it's better to just let him heal while the raid is still working on adds. With just a single tank applying dps to the boss at that point he's really not taking much damage to begin with and getting the adds down quickly is more valuable.

I did get my raid set up with macros to be able to spell steal/purge/interrupt even while working on the adds however;

/stopcasting
/cast [target=Hex Lord Malacrass] <spell name>;

This one change made a huge difference for us on our first kill last night...especially as we had 3 paladins in the raid and he just loved to grab our abilities.
Robbert

Postby ehly » Wed May 28, 2008 1:42 pm

When we were learning it. I found it helpful just to kill the 2 adds on the left. They tend to be the most annoying. If you don't have a banish and the elemental is there be sure to kill that as soon as you can. That disease is very annoying.

As was mentioned letting hexx heal while you are taking down adds is not a problem..as besides your tank there should be no dps on the boss. So nothing really to heal.

If you have multiple paladins have at least one in each party with concentration aura on to help your healers/etc resist the push back of the spirit bolts.

This worked well for us when learning the fight. Now we just kill all 4 adds then nuke the boss. <3 shadow neck from BT quest.
ehly

Postby Seloei » Wed May 28, 2008 3:00 pm

If a ranged dps/healer is dieing to consecrate then...

Rule number one in TBC raiding: Don't stand in the fracking aoe.

Anyhow, HLM is all about controling the adds and being ready to rotate the spirit steals he has. If you can spare it tank sorta close to the healers and use concentration aura so they get no spell pushback and CC as many adds as possible.
When we were 'learning' the fight, we cc'd as many as we could and burned the boss, usually only had to burn down the ogre/belf. The real wipers are crushings right after bolts and stupid dps standing in aoe's or breaking CC.
Try to convince them to spread out and don't stand in melee range. All melee out on pala/warrior phases and call out if it's a rogue phase. He can do some insane spikes that time and you may need to be spam healed.
Seloei

Postby Robbert » Wed May 28, 2008 3:13 pm

Ulushnar wrote:Warriors, Shamans and Rogues can definately all interrupt. Mages can as well, I think, so the immune was probably down to the fear part.

Shaman, and specifically Elemental Shaman, seem to be the interrupter of choice on the heals as they have a short cooldown interrupt that can be cast at range and still does damage. Warriors and Rogues must be in melee, and hence in range of the concecrate, to interrupt. The lengthy cooldown on a Mage counterspell means a single mage is unlikely to interrupt every heal the boss tries to cast.

In our first kill we had 1 Elemental Shaman, 1 Mage, and 2 Rogues. The Elemental Shammy was on heal interrupt duty and was (once we worked the kinks out) able to interrupt every heal the boss tried to cast. When the boss picked up mage abilities we gave the green light to all 4 of them to interrupt any spell they could.

And any immune messages on a spell interrupt in this fight is due to some other effect, generally the silence or possibly even spell school lockout, that is also applied by the interrupt being used.
Robbert

Postby Seloei » Wed May 28, 2008 11:53 pm

Could have sworn the boss only uses the abilities he stole from that person for 30s, and he doesn't use the other abilities he took from the last ones at all... Never seen him consecrate/whirlwind anymore after he had siphoned me/war in the beginning. Might have been very lucky not to see it... but he only used the abilities he had.

Also, the heals he does are noway "spammed" like on some bosses and a mages cooldown is about the same as a shaman.
Seloei

Postby jere » Thu May 29, 2008 5:40 am

Seloei wrote:Could have sworn the boss only uses the abilities he stole from that person for 30s, and he doesn't use the other abilities he took from the last ones at all... Never seen him consecrate/whirlwind anymore after he had siphoned me/war in the beginning. Might have been very lucky not to see it... but he only used the abilities he had.

You are correct. He does not remember previous abilities and only uses the ones currently for a class. Of course, if you leave totems/hunter traps up, then those might be there for the next class change, but he doesn't use old abilities while in the new class mode.

Seloei wrote:Also, the heals he does are noway "spammed" like on some bosses and a mages cooldown is about the same as a shaman.

Mage cooldown = 24 seconds
Shaman cooldown = 6 seconds

Untalented of course.
Last edited by jere on Thu May 29, 2008 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jere

Postby Ashmadai » Thu May 29, 2008 7:15 am

Yeah, a Mage can only CS once every 24 seconds. Shaman can do it every 6.
Ashmadai

Return to Zul'aman