need help OT spec/gear/enchant/gems

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

need help OT spec/gear/enchant/gems

Postby steadypal » Mon May 26, 2008 12:14 pm

i started out wow as a warrior, was prot, was MT far before BC came out, up till about 6 months ago i rolled a paladin, and wanted to tank with it, so with my thinking i geared it and gemmed it the way i would my warrior and just get the good gear that has spell dmg on it... but i have come to realize i will never be allowed to MT any bosses... so what do i do from now? what kind of thinking do i need to do?

should i be getting different gear that focuses on different stats?

should i continue to gem for just stamina?

should i drop stam for either avoidance or more spell dmg to be a better OT and trash tank??

change spec around a little bit?


any real help would be nice, thanks


http://armorylite.com/us/Kilrogg/steadypal
steadypal
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: need help OT spec/gear/enchant/gems

Postby fudomyou » Mon May 26, 2008 12:26 pm

steadypal wrote:but i have come to realize i will never be allowed to MT any bosses... so what do i do from now? what kind of thinking do i need to do?


Find a guild that will let you tank. There's no point trying to bash your forehead against a brick wall, so go find people who can appreciate you.
User avatar
fudomyou
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:14 am

Re: need help OT spec/gear/enchant/gems

Postby steadypal » Mon May 26, 2008 12:29 pm

fudomyou wrote:
steadypal wrote:but i have come to realize i will never be allowed to MT any bosses... so what do i do from now? what kind of thinking do i need to do?


Find a guild that will let you tank. There's no point trying to bash your forehead against a brick wall, so go find people who can appreciate you.



heh just no room for me to MT bt and mt h, im cool with that, so i want to see what i can do to best help the guild, produce more threat when i do tank adds/trash.... or what, idk lol its just being OT is new and i want to be the best i can
steadypal
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: need help OT spec/gear/enchant/gems

Postby ShieldLove » Mon May 26, 2008 12:41 pm

steadypal wrote:i started out wow as a warrior, was prot, was MT far before BC came out, up till about 6 months ago i rolled a paladin, and wanted to tank with it, so with my thinking i geared it and gemmed it the way i would my warrior and just get the good gear that has spell dmg on it... but i have come to realize i will never be allowed to MT any bosses... so what do i do from now? what kind of thinking do i need to do?

should i be getting different gear that focuses on different stats?

should i continue to gem for just stamina?

should i drop stam for either avoidance or more spell dmg to be a better OT and trash tank??

change spec around a little bit?


any real help would be nice, thanks


http://armorylite.com/us/Kilrogg/steadypal


"I will never be allowed to Main Tank bosses" is a frightening statement for me. Your gear is quite similar to mine (Just armory the name of the poster, US side, i'm the only one out there), with nicer gems. I main tank all of ZA, and any boss in SSC/TK that I convince the raid leader I can handle.

The important thing is to figure out what makes you happy and severely do your homework on the subject. Know your content, understand everyone you run with, and be friendly.

The psychology of a tank is for another threat. It requires some leadership, knowing all your people, and understanding everything around you.

The majority of people in my guild that are never allowed to tank is not because of thier gear. It's because they don't pay enough attention and don't generate enough threat. It takes a massive ego, but a good heart to balance yourself out - Know what's going on and how to tweak things, but don't be the jerk that knows everything and won't hesitate to tell you.

Now, for gear/spec talking, there are little things you can do to make yourself more viable with others when you aren't tanking. My guild has no ret pallies (we've not yet run into a good one who knows his stuff), so I specced out of reckoning and put 3/3 into improved JotC. The +3% crit can do a big buff to your raid's DPS and suppliment the extra damage you aren't doing yourself.

I normally swap between two sets: one where i'm uncrushable with 26% dodge, and one where i'm uncrushable with 30%+ shield block. I always use all my consumables for spell damage (food, oil, flask), and that constitutes an extra 150 spell damage.

Off tanking in and of itself usually means chain chugging mana pots and looking for additional ways to suppliment your mana. Shadow priests, standing in stationary AoEs, and resto shaman (who are using grace and mana spring anyway) go a long way for this.

Hope this helps.
ShieldLove
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:59 am

Postby roosevelt » Mon May 26, 2008 1:07 pm

IMO as long as you're raiding it doesn't really matter if you're MT. Honestly if you're out geared or theres no problem with the warriors tanking I don't see why they would make a switch.

You usually have to earn the trust by just showing up to every raid until a warrior can't make one and they are forced to cancel the raid or let a druid or pally try the MT spot.

Another option is to tank bosses on farm status. The MT probably doesn't need gear from the instances you farm and is probably tired of having to run them. You can step in and prove yourself that way.

I think its important to remember that "MT" is a status that only one person may have by definition. It only means as much as you let it. While MTs often get the most glory the OTs are equally as vital to a raid's success and often a harder role to play.

As far as gearing specifically to OT... you're a tank, mobs don't distinguish between OT and MT so you should really have gear for both. Depending on the fight you will need different stats. The biggest problem for pally OTs is threat, since we don't get 'blue rage' for attacking unless JoW is up, which sometimes means that JotC isn't up (cruel irony).

My advice is to collect as diversified pieces of gear and enchant/gem them to the strength of the item and carry them all with you. You can then mix and match your items based on the fight. MTing usually means tanking one hard hitting mob. OTing is much more diverse and as such calls for different tools for different tasks.
roosevelt
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:31 pm


Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest