Remove Advertisements

what are "comfortable" gear level for Heroic MgT?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

what are "comfortable" gear level for Heroic MgT?

Postby mangos » Sun May 25, 2008 10:57 pm

So I have been tanking heroics for a couple of weeks and get a set of gear like this:

http://www.armorylite.com/us/Dath'Remar/vanistus

I ran mech/bot/arc/UB/SV/SP a lot for badges and had absolutely no problem, also did cot-durn/ramp/BF a couple of time successfully. I only had some bad experience in sethekk hall and mana-tomb.

Last Friday I finally ran normal MgT (probably because I start late on my server there are very few ppl want to do it and most of the time ppl in half green came thinking it's just another "normal" instance and ended up wiping till disband) and got keyed for heroic mode.

I tried to get a group for heroic MgT during saturday and sunday but for 4 or 5 groups I was turned down saying my gear is not good enough for it. So I'd like to know from those of you who have ran heroic MgT what are the comfortable gear level for it? Is it obtainable only through heroic/badge gear? as I'm not with a raiding guild and never intend to join one due to work.
mangos

Re: what are "comfortable" gear level for Heroic M

Postby ldeboer » Mon May 26, 2008 1:45 am

mangos wrote:So I have been tanking heroics for a couple of weeks and get a set of gear like this:

http://www.armorylite.com/us/Dath'Remar/vanistus

I ran mech/bot/arc/UB/SV/SP a lot for badges and had absolutely no problem, also did cot-durn/ramp/BF a couple of time successfully. I only had some bad experience in sethekk hall and mana-tomb.

Last Friday I finally ran normal MgT (probably because I start late on my server there are very few ppl want to do it and most of the time ppl in half green came thinking it's just another "normal" instance and ended up wiping till disband) and got keyed for heroic mode.

I tried to get a group for heroic MgT during saturday and sunday but for 4 or 5 groups I was turned down saying my gear is not good enough for it. So I'd like to know from those of you who have ran heroic MgT what are the comfortable gear level for it? Is it obtainable only through heroic/badge gear? as I'm not with a raiding guild and never intend to join one due to work.

I think around 14K unbuffed HP would be a guide but really H-MgT is much more about tanking skill and cc than actual stats it's not like one thing hits you massive it's lots of things hitting you hard.

You run H-SH alot so if you haven't done it try H-SV but only CC the oracles. The oracles silence you and your healer and in big pulls it can be fatal. Tank eveything else which means you have casters and melee and some of them fear. If you can do that with ease you will be fine in H-MgT the packs are very similar couple of casters couple of melee all hit hard assuming you have 1 or 2 under CC.
ldeboer

Postby Seloei » Mon May 26, 2008 1:55 am

heroic sv is just "outrange the sirens and let the ranged burn em down, taunt/consecrate where they stand and profit".
Mag T however is a very very rigorous test of your groups ability to think and react. Don't try to aoe tank it all unless you are dead-sure you can stay alive, just use loads of cc and tank the others. It can be done with even blue gear, if you know what you are doing and you can still wipe'a'lot even in t5/6 gear if you have a incompetent group.
Seloei

Yep agree but missed the point

Postby ldeboer » Mon May 26, 2008 2:07 am

Seloei wrote:heroic sv is just "outrange the sirens and let the ranged burn em down, taunt/consecrate where they stand and profit".
Mag T however is a very very rigorous test of your groups ability to think and react. Don't try to aoe tank it all unless you are dead-sure you can stay alive, just use loads of cc and tank the others. It can be done with even blue gear, if you know what you are doing and you can still wipe'a'lot even in t5/6 gear if you have a incompetent group.

I did say tank the packs NOT let the dps burn the casters but Seloei is right your casters can simply go 1 on 1 in H-SV and will win they wont in H-MgT.

The point is you will have no option in H-MgT you will have to tank casters and melee at the same time which is what makes it hard. The alternative which is what your pugs where all trying to do is get a tank who so outgears the instance that it's all pretty pointless.
ldeboer

Postby Cosmoz » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:00 pm

CC as much as possible, and pull the rest of the group behind a wall (LOS them) trying to tank a feew melees with caster faar away nuking will get you and your group killed very very fast.
yea, unless you do this with a guild, I odnt think you can find a group for it unless you have 14k HP unbuffed. and no mather what HP you have, or what gear the group has, it can still be 0 wipes, or 20 wipes. I have seen people in T5+ try to steam-roll it (like wtf, this is a 5-man HC, and we have imba gear) and die within the first feew pulls.
Cosmoz

Postby spelltank » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:43 am

to be honest, i tanked it easily at much less than your gear level (mostly blues, around 14k armor, 12k health), with 3 CC classes, and it was cake.

MGT is more of an execution test than a gear test: There are a lot of big pulls which are really difficult to multi-tank since all the mobs have special abilities that hurt, so CC is great. Look especially for locks, who can enslave a succubus and use it to seduce another mob while dpsing (around 500ish dps), so it can offtank a mob if you need it to. Mages as always are great, as are spriests, which dont help much for the 3rd boss, but still MC is great.

The bosses arent really hard, and theres nothing special the tank really has to do, just keep mobs off the healer, since the trash mobs dont hit hard by themselves, and you would be able to clear trash with 4 dpsers fairly easily
spelltank

Postby kensanity » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:24 pm

while mgt itself is not hard with good group makeup, healers love to have a stamina buffer on their tanks... especially on kael. Granted, if u have rogues or dps warriors doing their job and interrupting normal fireballs, it helps, but keep in mind that each of those fireballs can do upwards of 5k damage, meaning most healers are going to have to be putting up some of their bigger heals during the first 50% of the fight to keep tanks up.

just my experience from both the tanking and healing side, and i tank with 16k life unbuffed.

oh, and while los may be the answer to many of the trash pulls, keep in mind that physicians are the WORST mob in all of the instance. Consecrating in the corner followed by a prayer or mending on the mobs is GG for any tank.
kensanity

Postby UMIO » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:32 am

it can easily be done with your gear as long as you bring 1-2 CC. i did it in my gear and we cleared it quite easily.

druid-healing
mage and rogue-cc
Ret pally- dps
me-tank

i think the instance is more to do with your groups coordination and skill rather then your gear, so if your group and you play it smart then it should be an easy clear
UMIO

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics