Why not wear two Stam trinkets?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Why not wear two Stam trinkets?

Postby Ashmadai » Sun May 25, 2008 8:02 pm

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Ashmadai

There's my armory. I always see people say don't wear two stam trinkets, and I'm wondering why. I'm in a 5/6 SSC 3/4 TK guild, and we're about to start Hyjal. Unbuffed now I am right at 16k HP, with about 53% pure avoidance. My dodge is at almost 24% unbuffed. Fully raid buffed I end up at almost 21k HP and 55% avoidance, 26% of it as dodge.

Should I go with Moroes trinket or the Guardian's Alchemist Stone(which I'm going to craft) over the DMC:V? I'm going to lose like 600 HP for about 3% avoidance.

I suppose for boss tanking that extra avoidance would be nice, but I also don't want to go too high on avoidance where my threat sucks due to not enough Holy Shield.
Ashmadai

Postby moduspwnens » Sun May 25, 2008 8:49 pm

Eh, a lot of people here seem to think it's a bad idea, but I use dual stam trinkets when I tank. I like them.

EDIT: I use the Commendation and DMC:V. So, they are definitely stam trinkets, but also have other benefits. I'm not sure I'd use DMC:Madness, since it's pretty much ONLY stamina.
Last edited by moduspwnens on Sun May 25, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Jadlak » Sun May 25, 2008 8:54 pm

I wear the commendation & the dark moon card that does holy dmg. The rest of my gear covers all the other stats, so yeah... I'm quite happy in my dual stam trinks.
Jadlak

Postby Gideon » Sun May 25, 2008 8:56 pm

Most of the time I run with either a threat setup, a pure EH setup or a combination of the two. My EH setup uses two stam trinkets (commendation and vengeance).

I do own avoidance trinkets but I tend to use them rarely. The pocketwatch is for when I think I need an active panic button. The scarab is for resistance sets. The figurine is for AOE lulz.

To be fair, I am a little trinket crazy. There are about 30 in my bank and they go all the way back to the nifty stopwatch. I think the only one I've vendored has been the carrot on a stick and only because it has been replaced by riding crops and my crusader aura.

Edit: Ulushnar had this great idea for "modular gearing" which is something I've been trying to do for a while. You carry less gear by mostly wearing the same armour except for a few specific slots that you swap out for different tasks. Swapping out trinkets is one of the simplest ways to retool a set from EH to TPS etc. Other good slots I've found are rings and necklaces but trinkets are best because there is a lot of variety and they tend to be very "pure" in their itemisation.
Last edited by Gideon on Sun May 25, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gideon

well

Postby Mavrix » Sun May 25, 2008 8:59 pm

Like everything else with gearing choices, it is situational. Gear for what you need. If you need stam, trinket slots are a great place to get a ton of it from a single item slot. If you need avoidance or threat or mitigation, same thing. Figure out what it is that you need and what works for you individually.
I dual stam trinket on several bosses/occasions myself like the previous posts indicated. It's situational.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby moduspwnens » Sun May 25, 2008 9:03 pm

I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Eanin » Sun May 25, 2008 9:05 pm

It depends on what I'm fighting. My "day-to-day" set has dual stamina trinkets, though, and I still have enough avoidance to use the Righteousness libram. My AoE set has the Gnomeregan trinket and the Tome of Righteous Fury.
Eanin

Yep same answer as other thread

Postby ldeboer » Sun May 25, 2008 9:17 pm

I wear 2 stam trinkets when tanking heroics because I feel I am never going to see the return on a probably less than a few percent avoidance the fight just simply isnt going to last that long.

The second part of that is in heroic I am always multi tanking and undoubtably I will move or get feared etc and get critted in the back the avoidance will count for little the extra HP may just save my life.

Boss fights are far more controlled and long encounters you have strats and multiple healers there a few extra HP means little and avoidance wins out.
ldeboer

Postby Elsie » Sun May 25, 2008 9:47 pm

Because oh shit buttons are better, and you dont need the 500 hp.
Elsie

Postby mazater » Sun May 25, 2008 11:34 pm

I get the stamina I need from the rest of my gear (over 16k hp without any trinkets) but I lack pure avoidance, hence why I'm using Moroes' pocketwatch.

Besides, moroes' trinket is like Warrior's last stand with (5?)minutes cooldown, it's a great OHSHAIT button.
mazater

Postby Seloei » Mon May 26, 2008 12:40 am

I wear a Commendation + moroes watch almost all the time, the passive avoidance and on use effect have saved my arse quite a few times when AD + commendation kicks in.
My reasoning is, that better to have atleast one button which can "maybe" save you life than have none at all. The extra health from DMC:V ends up at almost +1k health which is quite huge, but it all matters on what you are up against.
Melee boss -> moroes, melee/spell -> moroes or 2 stam trinkets (depends on melee/spell ratio), mostly spell boss -> 2 stam trinkets.

oh errr moroes is on 2 minute cooldown, with the combination of Commendation kicking in and that, you are guaranteed an extra +30% pure avoidance, which is usually enough to dodge atleast 3 hits in a row after you hit them
Seloei

Postby Dazhbog » Mon May 26, 2008 12:53 am

Situational, but for most major boss fights I pack a stamina trinket (Commendation) and an avoidance trinket (pocketwatch). Scarab of Displacement is used in place of the pocketwatch if I need the defense (resists or high high threat gear).

Why? A recent Tankspot article articulates it particularly well; it talks about (among other things) reaction time, which is the average time you have when you are one hit from death until that next hit connects. Popping an avoidance trinket massively increases the amount of time the rest of the raid has to get things back under control in a bad situation, and so makes them invaluable in an emergency situation. Stamina, on the other hand, means you can soak en extra X damage, which isn't all that useful in said situations.

Where I DO use dual stam trinkets is any fight where avoidance means diddly, i.e. high magic fights like Kael at the end of MgT, where you CAN'T avoid the hits, so packing on that little bit of extra stam is helpful.
Dazhbog

Postby ulushnar » Mon May 26, 2008 1:07 am

Gideon wrote:Edit: Ulushnar had this great idea for "modular gearing" which is something I've been trying to do for a while. You carry less gear by mostly wearing the same armour except for a few specific slots that you swap out for different tasks.

Yeah, I tend to go with the following:

Default boss gear: Commendation and Scarab of Displacement
Pure threat: Tome of Firey Redemption and Eye of Magtheridon
Weak AoE trash: Autoblocker and Eye of Magtheridon
Strong trash (Abom waves): Commendation and Autoblocker
Pure EH: DM:V and Commendation

Apart from that I just swap gloves (T5 for threat/trash, Bonefist for EH/Boss), Helm (T5 for threat/trash, Tankatronic for EH/Boss) and Libram (Repentance for EH, Divine Purpose for single-target threat, Eternal Rest for Aoe Threat).
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Wow agreement

Postby ldeboer » Mon May 26, 2008 2:14 am

Okay there is a first everyone is basically all in agreement so that should probably get a sticky.
ldeboer

Postby ricmrune » Mon May 26, 2008 6:56 am

For SWP, I gear more towards avoidance and threat. So it's Commendation/Icon or Commendation/SMI.

I used double DMC trinkets before prior to SWP coming out. While progressing into BT I went all out stamina. Didn't have any probs with the exception of Illidan. The threat/dps from DMC:V is really small compared to the rest of your abilities to the point of insignificance.

I prefer Icon or a click trinket for threat so I can time it with wings.
ricmrune

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice