Remove Advertisements

Black Morass Regular. A strange request.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Black Morass Regular. A strange request.

Postby Shoju » Thu May 22, 2008 6:09 am

So last night, I was plugging along trying to get to 70, and I got a strange request....

"Hey, you wanna come tank the adds in BM?"

I responded

"I'm prot.... Can I keep them off the shield?"

He responded

"do you have a normal AoE set?"

I responded

"sure"

he responded

"Then yeah, you are just fine for the ads"

We grouped, but were never able to find a healer. Everyone seemed confident that I could AoE tank the ads except me. Is this true? Is it possible for a prot pally in AoE gear to tank down the ads? I currently have ~5-600 Spell Damage with oil and elixir to quest/grind. Is that enough? (If you wanna see my AoE set, I logged in it last night. (click on sig)

EDIT:

Oh yeah, my other trinket that isn't the gadg... hearth is the healer trinket from consortium in nag. (it doesn't share cd with vengeance of the illidari which means I can pop both at the same time).
Shoju

Postby Cearn » Thu May 22, 2008 6:27 am

well, you just gotta hit them once and tank them, they do next to no damage to a tank but I can't see any use in actually bringing a tank for the adds only oO
Cearn

Postby Mortehl » Thu May 22, 2008 6:35 am

You won't generate enough mana return. Just tank the adds and the elites at the same time.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Shoju » Thu May 22, 2008 6:49 am

I'm not 70 yet. No one wants me to tank it till I'm 70 and have 'good' tanking gear. 12k armor, 12k HP is what a guy said he wanted from a tank in BM last night. I'm at 11k on both right now in tank gear.

Would I need to generate much mana? I have 7400 unbuffed in my 'questing' garb.
Shoju

Postby guillex » Thu May 22, 2008 6:49 am

As Mort said ... Just be the MT for the instance. Consecrate away, tank everything.

That's right. You heard us.

E. V. E. R. Y. T. H. I. N. G.

;)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Shoju » Thu May 22, 2008 6:54 am

That's what I want to do. I just keep getting told that I can't do it till 70. I'm dying to get the tanking ring, and I'm dying to get a crack at some good gear. I know that I will have plenty of good gear in half a level to choose from, but man, I'm really a gear freak.
Shoju

Postby guillex » Thu May 22, 2008 6:57 am

Shoju wrote:That's what I want to do. I just keep getting told that I can't do it till 70. I'm dying to get the tanking ring, and I'm dying to get a crack at some good gear. I know that I will have plenty of good gear in half a level to choose from, but man, I'm really a gear freak.

Dude. Go do it. You don't magically gain the ability to tank everything in BM when you gain that last level. You get what, a TP, and some stats.

Uther himself doesn't come down from the Heavens saying: "Thou hast finally dinged 70, youngling. Thou now hast the easy-peasy task of tanking every beast in the morass of black... For thou art SEVENTY! THOU ART ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMIGHTY!"

Gimme a break. You can do it now, just make sure you're uncrittable. You'll be fine.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Shoju » Thu May 22, 2008 7:03 am

Guillex wrote:
Shoju wrote:That's what I want to do. I just keep getting told that I can't do it till 70. I'm dying to get the tanking ring, and I'm dying to get a crack at some good gear. I know that I will have plenty of good gear in half a level to choose from, but man, I'm really a gear freak.

Dude. Go do it. You don't magically gain the ability to tank everything in BM when you gain that last level. You get what, a TP, and some stats.

Uther himself doesn't come down from the Heavens saying: "Thou hast finally dinged 70, youngling. Thou now hast the easy-peasy task of tanking every beast in the morass of black... For thou art SEVENTY! THOU ART ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMIGHTY!"

Gimme a break. You can do it now, just make sure you're uncrittable. You'll be fine.

LOL. This was awesome. I'm going to point the next group that says NO to this thread.
Shoju

Postby farmerjohn » Thu May 22, 2008 7:49 am

Guillex wrote:

Ahahahahaha! G that made my day! :D
I'll need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes and Hotpockets
farmerjohn

Postby Barathorn » Thu May 22, 2008 7:59 am

Actually yes you can quite easily. Prior to me being level 70 [I think I was level 68 or 69] one of the groups I had levelled with was a little strange.

Dwarf Warrior
Human Prot Pally
Nelf Moonkin
Goat Elemental Shaman
Dwarf Holy Paladin

The first time I did BM I was told that Paladins weren't able to tank the bosses, they would hit too hard, so I was assigned to the adds. So I loitered by the shield and consecrated anything that got close and used my PLG to poison it all down. With the odd HoT, FoL and chain lightning it seemed to work, it wasn't ideal by any means, but it did work. I do remember going through about 10 mana pots though and thinking 'this is a bit intensive pot wise'.

Now I just get my misses, a fury warrior on the adds, much easier.

Barathorn.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Kelaan » Thu May 22, 2008 8:51 am

Guillex wrote:Uther himself doesn't come down from the Heavens saying, ".... thou art SEVENTY! THOU ART ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMIGHTY!"

... you didn't get that whisper? :D

Seriously, though, going from 69 to 70 IS pretty big -- it means you now can wear felsteel gloves/helm w/ solid stars in them, vs whatever you had before. This was a substantial health and defense boost, for me.

Black Morass's adds are trivial even at 69 to tank -- the hard part is going OOM from not enough damage, or DPS that won't let you actually GET aggro in later waves. The other hard part are the bosses -- they CAN crush you, since you're 3 levels below them, and that can make the second (and third) bosses a bit harder than for a 70. Your healer has to be on the ball to keep you up for that. (I had a very hard time staying alive on the second boss when I was 69.)

If you're working on KoT rep still (you DO want the timewarden's leggings, the helm enchant, and the spelldamage sword), just chain-tank Durnholde. If you can get in a group at 70 to leech rep from BM runs, that's good too. It's not that you CAN'T tank it, just that crushes will make it hard before you're 70 -- esp since most of the good BOE gear requires level 70. On the bright side, once you DO hit 70, you can get helm, legs (if you don't have Timewarden's), gloves, and cloak already in the mailbox. (And belt/bracers, if you have a bunch of money to burn on the craftable epics.)
Kelaan

Postby Janduin » Thu May 22, 2008 9:43 am

The other problem with tanking BM at 68 or 67 can be threat generation on bosses. I remember trying this and the bosses were orange to me...needless to say I had trouble hitting them and therefore trouble generating threat.
Janduin

Postby Fridmarr » Thu May 22, 2008 9:51 am

Shoju wrote:I'm not 70 yet. No one wants me to tank it till I'm 70 and have 'good' tanking gear. 12k armor, 12k HP is what a guy said he wanted from a tank in BM last night. I'm at 11k on both right now in tank gear.

Would I need to generate much mana? I have 7400 unbuffed in my 'questing' garb.

WOW, I think I was tanking Gruul when I had 12k HP unbuffed. Seriously, people are retarded now with all these badge epics around. It's a non heroic 5 man for crying out loud.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Thu May 22, 2008 10:56 am

I have a plan for gear at this point, and yes the timewardens are a part of it. Do I really want the KoT blade? Wouldn't the crystalforged sword be better?

Yes, I hate that people are so silly about gear now. It's a lvl 70 non heroic dungeon that a pally is BUILT to tank. EVERY run I made on my rogue was with a pally tank who took all the mobs at the rift.
Shoju

Postby Gimorth » Thu May 22, 2008 12:32 pm

I was once invited to "tank" heroic BM. I only found out that they wanted me to "off-tank" the adds after hearthing to Shatt, porting all the way to CoT and zoning in. That, my friends, was a LONG wyvern ride back to Org filled with whispers to the effect that I need to learn how to play my class.. etc. etc.

The funniest thing was that they were responding to me as if I left the group because i didn't want to tank "all those mobs," when, in fact, I left because who the hell runs a 5 man with 2 tanks. Why have 2 people not DPS-ing when I can hold onto EVERYTHING that zips through the port?

To the OP: Yes, you can tank all the adds. It's a stupid strat, though, for morons who don't understand pally tanks and think that anything with a golden dragon frame requires a warrior.
Gimorth

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics