Remove Advertisements

Tanking Illidan Stormrage - A guide for protection Paladins

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Tanking Illidan Stormrage - A guide for protection Paladins

Postby Worldie » Tue May 20, 2008 8:32 pm

Very well dear Paladins. I've noticed that recently more and more of us mana using Tanks are getting accepted, and more and more of us are facing one which was once a big challenge for a Protection Paladin: tanking Illidan Stormrage.

Tanking this boss requires some fair knowledge of his mechanic, some quick reactions, and some brain.

As 3rd Prot paladin progression tanking this fight, i wanted to write a short guide for those of us which in the future will want to face this challenge, since our Illidan thread is full of informations, but they are fairly spreaded amongst it, and i wanted to get all of them toghether.

Very well, let's see if you are now prepared.

==================BASE KNOWLEDGE==================
First of all, the basis. You will have 2 big enemies when facing Illidan: Shear, and Enrage.

Shear:
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=41032
as you might imagine, this debuff would probably get you killed easily.

• How to avoid Shear: The mechanic of Shear is fairly simple, if the attack is parryed, dodged or blocked, the debuff will not be applied. The skill itself cannot miss, and you cannot outrange it. It is possible to Intervene it but that's not really realistic, and anyway you don't want to rely on a Warrior, do you?
    In order for us to not get hit by Shear, we will have to rely on Holy Shield, but in a particular way. You will need 101.8% block+parry+dodge in order be immune to Shear. There's a very useful macro to check if you are immune to it,
    Code: Select all
    /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 101.8 combined avoidance for Shear. Currently at:",0.8,0.8,1)
    /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance(),1,0.5,0)

pop Holy Shield, press the macro, and check if you are fine or not. Adjust your gear, and don't forget about that nice Libram of Repentance you left in bank long time ago, that's 5.33% free block.
  • Shear cooldown: Shear got a cooldown of about 10 seconds. However, he will not really cast it every 10 seconds. He will cycle his skills in this way: Shear-Shear-Drain Soul-Flame Crash, but not necessarily in that order. That means that Shear won't follow your Holy Shield cooldown, and if you just spam Holy Shield, you might get caught in between refreshes and eventually get Sheared.
    There are a few tricks you can use to avoid this. First of all, you will always want to have Holy Shield between around 4 and 6 seconds cooldown when Shear hits. In this way, there will be no risk of Shear landing exactly while recasting and will allow you some breath. Getting perfect timing is fairly hard to explain and requires practice, however, making it simple, you should usually base HS on Shears themselves. If Shear lands when HS is at around 5-6 seconds CD, renew HS istantly. If Shear lands while HS is on 3 or less seconds, delay the new HS by 2 seconds. If Shear lands with about 1 seconds left, delay the next HS by 4-5 seconds. Illidan doesn't crush, so not having HS up will mean just a couple of unblocked hits, but well, 500 more damage are less troublesome than a Shear in your face.
    A very dangerous situation is if Shear starts to be cast when HS is at 2 seconds left: it's when it might land exactly on the refreshing! If that happens, let healers know that a Shear might get through. I'll discuss about bad Shears in the next paragraph. If you are getting that bad situation, try spamming Holy Shield and istantly renew it, and istantly renew it as well when it runs out. If all goes like it should, next Shear should land on about 9 and 6 seconds left on your HS.
    Your very first HS on each phase transition and on the pull should come at around 5 seconds after the pull/transition, then keep renewing it at every CD until first Shear lands, then adjust your cooldowns as you prefer.
  • Shit, i got Shear: Ok, it happens, bad timing on skills, Shear landed exactly between HS refreshes, and you are now down to 6k HP. Ok, it's not done yet, you are still there.
    First of all, pop a trinket. Just do it. The added avoidance might prevent your death. Also eat a Nightmare seed, those 2k more HP are golden.
    Second, let healers know in advance that it's possible you get a "unlucky Shear", and instruct them on how to prevent death. There are 2 things they should do: shield you as soon as you get Shear, and spam you for those 5 seconds of Shear. The PW:S will simply prevent a MH+OH hit to oneshot you. The spamheal will make sure you are istantly topped if a hit lands. Also, let protection warriors (if you got any) istantly Intervene you.
    You still might die, but the chances for that to happen are fairly lower. I've personally survived multiple Shears, and eventually a Shear during a Enrage (Dodge is serious business)

Very well, now that you know about Shear, let's talk about the second enemy.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Shear was removed with 3.0. I'm leaving the description, just for reminding the old times.

Enrage:
This ability is only used in last phase. Illidan will gain a boost in damage done (about 30% more) and attack speed (50% more) until he's either Trapped or morphs for the Demon Phase. This is where your gear and luck will be tested.

• How to avoid Enrage: You can in theory drag Illidan into a trap, that will stop his enrage and actually make him take additional damage. However, Maiev tends to place traps in crap positions, so 90% of the times you will simply have to tank him.
  • Mitigating Damage: If you aren't using Ironshields, then start doing it. When you get to 30% and Maiev appears, you should already drink a Ironshield pot, and then drink another one after Demon Phases. 2500 armor is a lot. Also, pop a trinket, and if available, eat a Nightmare Seed. Inspiration/Ancestral Fortitude are big plus and you should push for having at least 1 priest or 1 shaman as tank healer. Keep your hand near LoH, it might save you.
  • Healers: Your healers must be prepared to this. You will take craploads of damages. When Enrage comes, all the tank healers must go all out with max rank heals on you, while one (and only one) of them must spam you with quick Flash Heals/Flash of Light. The Enrage lasts about 20 seconds, they can afford spending some mana. They should also spam Power Word: Shield, Prayer of Mending and have Earth Shield always up on you during this phase.

==================YOUR STATS==================
Very well, now that we got through the 2 baseline tank-killer skills, it's time to talk about stats. Obviously you can't go there in Karazhan gear. Well, you can, but he'd just eat you.
As for every encounter, there isn't any "perfect setup" of stats, but i can give you some baseline stats to start with:
  • Armor: It's your main form of mitigation in this fight. You should aim for 18-19k buffed without counting Ironshields and Inspiration/Ancestral Fortitude. Don't be afraid to use Armor Scrolls. Try to get a Holy Paladin with Improved Devotion Aura. If not available, use your own Devotion. Screw Retribution aura for this time.
  • HP: Assuming the said armor, Illidan hits fairly hard. Assuming Demo Shout/Curse of Weakness, in his normal phase he should melee you for around 6-8k MH and 1-3k OH. When Enraged, those numbers will turn into 9-11k and 2-5k. Means that the strongest burst you should be able to live through is around 17k damage. The ideal setup of HP is about 20k buffed without Imp. The Imp isn't really reliable in this fight since you will be moving a lot and might lose it.
  • Avoidance: Illidan is a dual wielder, and well, he's kinda wearing a Blindfold. Thus he looks like having the dual wielder miss chance. However, without considering this, you should aim for around 60-65% pure avoidance pre buffs. 25%ish dodge, 20%ish parry and 10-12% miss are quite ok. Anywhere close to this is fine. I'd not recommend going with less than 55%, since he might burst you down very quick if you don't avoid a bit. I personally got istagibbed a week ago, by around 30k damage in 1 seconds. Now, that was parryhasted hits from melees + double parried Reckoning (yes, that was unlucky) and i didn't avoid any of 5 hits, so it can happen to get Istagibbed, but that might happen to anyone. Higher avoidance will prevent this.
  • Spelldamage: Obviously, you will have to keep aggro. However, he's both a demon and a dual wielder. Crusader Judged is a plus. Aim for about 3-400 spelldamage unbuffed, it will be more than enough. You will always have 5-6 seconds to build aggro, and a quick Avenger Shield + Exorcism + JoR will stick him to you.
  • Trinkets: I strongly recommend Commendation of Kaelthas + a 2 minute avoidance trinket, either Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch, Empyrean Tortoise, or something like those. There's enough time between each Enrage for 2 min trinkets to be available, but not enough for 3 minutes one. If you can menage 20/21k HP without a stamina trinket, it might be a good idea going for double avoidance trinket.

==================BUFFS AND CONSUMABLES==================
Obviously you'll want the standard buffs, Fortitude, GoTW, etc.
If you have to choose blesses, priorize Kings > Light (paladins will most likely be healing you) > Sanctuary. You don't really need Wisdom, your mana will be almost all time at 100%.
As totems, or well, "air" totem, which is usually the most discussed one, ask for Grace of Air. It will provide you about 4% dodge, which is a lot.
As consumables,
  • Food: go for Spicy Crawdads. 30 stamina is always good to have.
  • Flask: Flask of Fortification, 500 HP and 10 defense are golden in this fight.
  • Elixirs: If you want to spend more money, Elixir of Major Agility + Elixir of Major Defense are superior to the Flask. Armor is the king of this fight, and those provide a quite high amount of it.
  • Potions: Ironshield Potions. Loads of them. Later you could perfectly go without and just pop one on Enrages, but if you are progressing, i strongly recommend literally spamming them. You will need 2 for phase 1, then 1 per each Human phase. A kill will cost you 5-7 pots, depending on your DPS.
  • Scrolls: As stated above, Scrolls of Protection are a plus. (note: If you got Hyjal exhalted tank ring, the proc will remove the scroll's buff). Scrolls of Agility are as well useful due to the increased Dodge.
  • Oil: Well, i don't really need to tell you to use spelldamage oils :)

==================DEBUFFS==================
A small section dedicated to the debuffs on boss...
First of all, you will want Thunder Clap. Unless you got 0 warriors in raid, it MUST be up. I assume that if you are in a guild that got to Illidan, all your warriors know how to play and will keep it active.
You will as well want a Attack Power debuff: Curse of Weakness, Improved Demoralizing Shout, or in the worse scenario, Demoralizing Roar. The AP reduction might reduce his melee attacks by 1-2k damage, which is extremely high in this fight.
Scorpid Sting is very nice to have, adding 5% miss to the attack table (note: this won't affect Shear in any way), and Insect Swarm is also welcome (if available)
A debuff you instead DON'T want is Curse of Recklessness. While progressing and not overgeared, he hurts. There's exactly no reason to increase his damage done. Slap your locks if they dare to use CoR.

==================ADVANCED TRAINING: THE FIGHT==================
Very well, you are now prepared, your bag is full of ironshields, and you are listening to the dialogue between Illidan and Akama (you'll soon hate it, hehe). But hey, noone told you what to do here!
Don't worry, here it comes.
The fight as you might know is composed of multiple phases. You will be tanking Phase 1, and then the Human phases which will come after Phase 2.
First thing to know, you need to be the closest one when the dialogue finishes, since he'll go for proximity aggro. Other than a possible MD, i'd suggest to prepare Seal of the Crusader, target Illidan and spam Judgement and Exorcism buttons when he says "You are not prepared!". In that way you'll get his attention and you can move. You will drag him to the left, to the coloumn, then proceed to slowly move him out of Flame Crashes, describing a Arc following the line on the ground. Also you will have to keep him turned away from the raid due to the Draw Soul. Bare in mind, if he's casting Flame Crash or Draw Soul he won't move to follow you, so it's a good moment to "turn" him without moving him. He will keep moving while casting Shear.
The phase 1 is quite linear, there's just one thing to be aware of. If you get Parasites, stop consecrating. The last thing you want is parasites aggroing you and doubledotting you again. Wait for them to spawn, mages will most likely come and Frost Nova em, as soon as they are frozen move to your left or right, away from them, so you don't get any occasional melee.
This said, keep tanking, shielding and such until he's at 65%. During phase 2, there's not really much you can do. I used to randomly Flash of Light to help raid healing, but recently i just started going afk for couple of minutes while the raid deals with the Flames. I'm lazy i know :(
Ok, flames are down, time to deal with phase 3. While the raid moves away, head to the middle of the platform, prepare SoR (or SoB if you are a blood elf), and start spamming the buttons of Judgement and Exorcism until he comes down and you will automatically target and hit him. You have about 4-5 seconds from when he lands before he starts attacking. Bring him back to where you brought him in phase 1. If there's a flame patch on the ground due to some lazorbeams, don't panic, just go as close as possible, then stop there and wait for it to disappear. Remind to warn melees about the possibility of a Flame Crash halfway during the positioning. Then keep doing exactly like you did in phase 1.
The Demon phase will come a couple of seconds after the 2nd Flame Crash. At this point, run away. Go as far as possible. Help healing nearby people from the AoE. When demons spawn, if you got a Demon, warn hunters that you will need a MD in case they kill your demon quite late (tell them to save MDs for when you call for it); if you didn't get any Demon, go help killing. Use Avenger Shield to slow them if possible, then Holy Wrath, then maybe drop some consecrations and judgements here and then. When the 3rd AoE is coming in few seconds, head to Illidan. Prepare SoCr, get to Judgement max range and judge. The Demon phase will end a couple of seconds after the 3rd AoE. Don't go into melee before he turns from black to purple again. When he's again purple, use JoR, Exorcism, Avenger Shield if ready, eventually pop Avenging Wrath. As on the pull, wait 4-5 seconds before using the first Holy Shield.
Keep the slow kiting you did in P1. If you can at the end of a Demon Phase bring him again to the left, try to do it. It's better to keep him near the coloumn rather than moving him completely to the other side. The Demon phase will always keep coming about after the 2nd Flame Crash.
Now the last part: you got to 30%, wee Maiev. Keep doing exactly like the previous Phase. If Maiev spawns a trap, check where it is. If it's close, and i mean, CLOSE, then go for it as soon as he Enrages. If it would require more than 3 seconds to get to it, don't bother.
The Enrages are quite predictable. He'll do 1 Shear-Shear-Draw Soul-Flame Crash cycle, then Enrage, then 1 more cycle, then go Demon Phase. When Enrage is coming, other than popping whatever you can, pay extreme attention to Holy Shield: getting Sheared during a Enrage is the last thing you want to happen.
Keep relaxed and do what you did in phase 1, and there, here are your Legendaries :)

==================ADVANCED TRAINING: THE TANK KILLERS==================
There are quite few things that can kill the tank in the encounter.
  • Shear: We have already discussed about it in the Base Knowledge part, read above :)
  • Enrage: There are few additional things you can do. First of all, remind your Holy Paladins that Lay on Hands is there for a reason. If you drop dangerously down, one of their Improved Lay on Hands will be pure sex. Also, have all your protection warriors Intervene you as soon as Enrage comes. 1 hit on them is one less hit on you.
  • Demon->human transitions: Remind healers to already start precasting. Have 1 protection warrior intervene you while you are building aggro on Illidan and he's still on the floor, and possibly ninja applying Thunder Clap and Demoralizing Shout. If healers don't already start precasting, you might get gibbed. The Intervene, and PW:S/ES/PoM will prevent you for a very bad istagib. Pre-Hotting is also great.
  • Maiev event: This even is also a tankkiller. The stun lasts 30 seconds. All your buffs (inspiration, hots, totems) and the debuffs (Tc and Demo shout) will most likely run out. Illidan will start already meleeing 2 seconds after the event finishes. Make sure there is one healer assigned to Nature Swiftnessing you as soon as possible, will give the other healers the time to finish their 2.5 seconds cast. Again, warriors Intervening and applying Demoralizing Shout as soon as possible are great.

In case you can be arsed, this is the video of our first kill (altho i a few times risked a shear in face since i didn't yet master the cooldowns):
http://files.filefront.com/GC+vs+Illida ... einfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/GC+vs+Illida ... einfo.html

That's seriously all i can think that has been said and written over the 20+ pages of the other topic. Feel free to tell me if there's something missing or that might be improved.
Last edited by Worldie on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Morganim » Tue May 20, 2008 9:28 pm

I've always wondered (never tested)

does bubble remove sheer, if so in an enrage situation use the cancel aura macro, even if a dps dies its better than you dying :P
Morganim

Postby Worldie » Wed May 21, 2008 5:28 am

No, Divine Shield does not remove shear, and in fact if he attacks you with Shear while bubbled it gets through ><
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Oriax » Wed May 21, 2008 6:29 am

Very good and informative read idd ! We've got quite some bosses left(only at Bloodboil atm, if we only could get enough stinking people to raids) until Illidan but preparation is everything and the link to this will be bookmarked until that day fo' sho' :)

Thanks alot for the time spent in doing this !
Oriax

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed May 21, 2008 10:44 am

Thank you; this is great.

I've also been watching the Illidan Tactical video here:

http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=72645

which provides a very thorough overview of the fight for everyone; I recommend forcing it on your entire raid.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Jonlo » Wed May 21, 2008 10:59 am

Excellent guide, one point, and it's a nitpick:

If you're using the Band of the Eternal Defender from Hyjal, it's proc over writes the Scroll of Protection buff.
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed May 21, 2008 11:01 am

Oh ye that one i knew, but didn't bother writing it. I'll add it anyway.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fiorina » Wed May 21, 2008 3:39 pm

65% pure avoidance pre buffs. 30%ish dodge, 20%ish parry and 10-12% miss are quite ok

looks like Brutallus guide :)
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Stroja » Wed May 21, 2008 4:29 pm

I don't think I've ever used that much pure avoidance on Illidan. 55% tops.
Stroja

Postby Worldie » Wed May 21, 2008 4:30 pm

Hihi not really, Brutallus favours EH, that's fairly normal stats in BT gear. Or well, i'm always around those.

I remind tanking him with less but i was extremely undergeared at that time.

I'll fix it anyway.

25%ish dodge, 20%ish parry and 10-12% miss are quite ok. Anywhere close to this is fine. I'd not recommend going with less than 55%,

bettar?

Worldie
Global Mod

Re: Tanking Illidan Stormrage - A guide for protection Palad

Postby Splug » Thu May 22, 2008 12:01 pm

Very well written! One comment, if I may:
Worldie wrote:-Demon->human transitions: Remind healers to already start precasting. Have 1 protection warrior intervene you while you are building aggro on Illidan and he's still on the floor, and possibly ninja applying Thunder Clap. If healers don't already start precasting, you might get gibbed. The Intervene, and PW:S/ES/PoM will prevent you for a very bad istagib. Pre-Hotting is also great.
The threat build on Thunderclap and demo shout is low enough that a prot warrior can safely apply both, as well as a couple melee swings if they need rage, between the time Illidan's aura fades and when he stands up. There is no excuse for a lazy OT; even when our MT was a different warrior, it was my job to get TC/demo up, and the fury warrior would move in to overwrite my demo when damage started up again. The threat reset seems to occur when Illidan changes colors: as long as the primary tank is dropping high-threat attacks after that point, warrior debuffs should definitely go up.

Also, keep in mind that the AP reduction from Demo is what will reduce the spike damage if everything hits. It's actually more important for instant damage than thunderclap. May want to add a note about that in the Maeiv event as well. Also... we have had a fury warrior die trying to help with intervenes. If they eat a dual-hit in dps gear, it can be lethal.

That does look like it should be a very helpful guide all in all, thanks a lot for writing it Worldie.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu May 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Well considering that the phase transition comes right after the flame burst, that's like 2500 damage if i'm not wrong, so the warrior should have at least the rage to intervene + tc.

I used to quite get mad on vent if there was no CoW or Demo shout (well, we sometimes don't have any warrior), since the damage reduction is fairly significant, from 10kish melees to 8k when i was still t5ish geared.

I added the note on both the transition and event parts, and as well emphasised it on the debuff part.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Splug » Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 pm

Worldie wrote:Well considering that the phase transition comes right after the flame burst, that's like 2500 damage if i'm not wrong, so the warrior should have at least the rage to intervene + tc.
Flame Burst, for whatever God forsaken reason, does not generate rage. =(

EDIT: Wait, I know why. It's considered self-inflicted damage, because you're not actually being hit by Illidan, you're inflicting X damage to everyone within Y yards of yourself. That includes you. This means dieing to flame burst should also be a 0-durability death.

-Splug
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu May 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Mm that would explain why it gets through divine shield as well -_-

"Makes you immune to all damages" my ass tbh.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Splug » Thu May 22, 2008 12:41 pm

Yeah... divine shield doesn't do anything to save you from yourself.

The good news is that if you blow yourself up with JoBlood while DS'd, it doesn't eat durability. ... I may or may not have tested that unintentionally while leveling.

-Splug
Splug
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Black Temple