Remove Advertisements

Curator: OT options...

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Curator: OT options...

Postby icbat » Wed May 21, 2008 7:31 am

Started OTing Kara last night, and all went really well until Curator. Using the "spread out into a U-shape strat for flares," we couldn't get him below 60%. A big part of it seemed like the DPS wasn't paying attn. or something, flares not dying until Evoc was over. A few times there were 2-3 flares up, but even then those would get knocked down before Evoc, it was always that last one.

At the same time, I was pretty confused about what I should've been doing. Our well-geared MT asked to be the only tank on Curator, so I tried to pick up what I could. Trying to OT the flares was a bad idea, couldn't out-threat the DPS when AS was cooling, and and had OOM problems. I also had a hard time finding a good spot to hold them.

Standing in a corner with Concentration Aura and heal-botting seemed like the best option, but even then I felt like dead weight, my heal-set is only ~400 healing, and ~50 Mp5.

Suggestions on what I should be doing to benefit? We're going to try again this Thursday night (tomorrow at time of post). Thanks!
icbat

Re: Curator: OT options...

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 21, 2008 7:35 am

icbat wrote:Started OTing Kara last night, and all went really well until Curator. Using the "spread out into a U-shape strat for flares," we couldn't get him below 60%. A big part of it seemed like the DPS wasn't paying attn. or something, flares not dying until Evoc was over. A few times there were 2-3 flares up, but even then those would get knocked down before Evoc, it was always that last one.

At the same time, I was pretty confused about what I should've been doing. Our well-geared MT asked to be the only tank on Curator, so I tried to pick up what I could. Trying to OT the flares was a bad idea, couldn't out-threat the DPS when AS was cooling, and and had OOM problems. I also had a hard time finding a good spot to hold them.

Standing in a corner with Concentration Aura and heal-botting seemed like the best option, but even then I felt like dead weight, my heal-set is only ~400 healing, and ~50 Mp5.

Suggestions on what I should be doing to benefit? We're going to try again this Thursday night (tomorrow at time of post). Thanks!
Curator takes 1 tank for itself, and then it's dps.

DPSers *have* to kill flares as fast as they can. It's the whole purpose of this fight. Evocation is not priorty, flare has to die first.

Once you get that down, you go for the second part: Are the healers strained enough to need a second person exclusively for the bolts? If yes, then WHATEVER works. As long as the second in threat doesn't overaggro and is topped off, he'll take the bolts.

Ideally, a flare should never live to have another flare up.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Janthord » Wed May 21, 2008 7:38 am

Your MT isn't very intelligent if he thinks that he should be the only tank. His hateful bolts will hit the 2nd highest aggro (with highest health) target. That doesn't mean it should be an actual 'tank' class tanking him however.

When I run kara, I will solo tank curator, with one DPS'er (Preferably with high HP pool) have secondary aggro on the big robot. EVERYONE else is DPSing the flares down. They should be dying withen 7-8 seconds of them being up, allowing room to pick up the next one.

The flares probably will not be "tanked" by anyone other then the top DPS'er on them.

Another suggestion if it's a drain on your healers... is have your dedicated secondary aggro target on curator pick up a decent Arcane Resist set (130 AR is perfect). An make sure that person is always topped off.

As for mana issues, if you end up being the OT on him, the hateful bolts should be more then enough to keep your mana topped off if you're NOT using an AR set, but still being topped off after every bolt.
Janthord

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 21, 2008 7:41 am

Flares spawn with high threat on someone, don't bother tanking them. JUST KILL
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Lookit » Wed May 21, 2008 10:00 am

To be honest, it doesn't matter what you do if your DPS is slacking so much that you have 3 flares up at once.

Few helpful hints for the DPS -

Hit "V" so that the mobs will have nameplates. Makes them much easier to see and target.

Watch for the little arcane-looking bolts that strike the ground - it means a flare is going to be spawning there in a second.

Hit it like you mean it - the ONLY way to beat this fight is to get flares down absolutely as soon as possible. If a flare has been up for more than 3 seconds and you are not actively dpsing it, you are riding the failboat to wipetown.
Lookit

Postby Janthord » Wed May 21, 2008 10:02 am

Lookit wrote:To be honest, it doesn't matter what you do if your DPS is slacking so much that you have 3 flares up at once.

Hit "V" so that the mobs will have nameplates. Makes them much easier to see and target.

Watch for the little arcane-looking bolts that strike the ground - it means a flare is going to be spawning there in a second.

Hit it like you mean it - the ONLY way to beat this fight is to get flares down absolutely as soon as possible. If a flare has been up for more than 3 seconds and you are not actively dpsing it, you are riding the failboat to wipetown.

7 seconds
Janthord

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 21, 2008 10:10 am

Janthord wrote:
Lookit wrote:To be honest, it doesn't matter what you do if your DPS is slacking so much that you have 3 flares up at once.

7 seconds
He meant time till you start dpsing it.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Janthord » Wed May 21, 2008 10:17 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Janthord wrote:

7 seconds
He meant time till you start dpsing it.

Right, I should work on my literacy.
Janthord

Postby Morpheren » Wed May 21, 2008 10:59 am

ot? curator? lolwut? we usually just have a lock (or spriest if available) stay with me on him since the spriest sucks for burst dmg. A lock can just dot him (and continue to help with flares) till 50% mana then replace his agony with doom.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 21, 2008 11:04 am

Hehehe A lock in AR is the ideal bolt tank, i fnd it a necessary presence for fresh healers. Once you overgear it you don't even need to kill the evocation flare, just rush him down and get him to enrage before evocation is over.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Morpheren » Wed May 21, 2008 11:26 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Hehehe A lock in AR is the ideal bolt tank, i fnd it a necessary presence for fresh healers. Once you overgear it you don't even need to kill the evocation flare, just rush him down and get him to enrage before evocation is over.

Yeah, in my last guild this is what we did, usually only keeping like 3 people on the flare and the rest just burning him while the 3 take the single flares out till evo then everybody gets on him and lets loose.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 21, 2008 11:28 am

Morpheren wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:Hehehe A lock in AR is the ideal bolt tank, i fnd it a necessary presence for fresh healers. Once you overgear it you don't even need to kill the evocation flare, just rush him down and get him to enrage before evocation is over.

Yeah, in my last guild this is what we did, usually only keeping like 3 people on the flare and the rest just burning him while the 3 take the single flares out till evo then everybody gets on him and lets loose.
First time we did it that way guild didn't believe much in pally tanks, so the warrior was tanking curator.. >.> Then I proceeded to overaggro him during evocation in such a manner that the tank couldn't really do a thing about it. Love damage based threat
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ehly » Wed May 21, 2008 11:33 am

Back when we learning it we always used a lock in AR gear. Since then really anyone who can produce good threat really can do it. We have had sp do it withzero problems as well. There was even a couple runs a long time ago where I was the bolt tank. Though that was when I had much worse gear.

Starting out a lock is ideal since of the caster classes they tend to have the highest hp pool to soak damage.

That said there should never be any point with 3 flares up.... 2 flares when learning it happens, but that is a dps problem not a tank problem.
ehly

Postby Cosmoz » Wed May 21, 2008 10:48 pm

curator is a DPS gear check. curator only needs 1 tank. flares should be nuked down by all dps very fast (warlocks can stay on curator, dots suck for adds) if there are many adds up at the same time, either your DPS aint DPSing the flares, or they aint ready to progress any furthur.
Cosmoz

Postby Pane » Fri May 23, 2008 2:01 am

Cosmoz wrote:(warlocks can stay on curator, dots suck for adds)

Shadowbolt however doesn't :twisted:

Prot paladin's task on Curator if you're not the tank is pretty meaningless. You can't tank the flares reliably, and if you're not getting hit well then good luck being in the top 5 agro, never mind being 2nd.

Hang back and heal me thinks.
Pane

Next

Return to Karazhan