Remove Advertisements

Can I get a walk through of the Rage trash?

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Can I get a walk through of the Rage trash?

Postby Rokh » Wed May 21, 2008 1:07 am

So going into MThy this weekend for the first time, I am my guilds only pally tank.

What can/cant i tank? I know aboms are bad, but what about the spiders/necros.. i hear people talk about them but are they AoE tankable? why/why not?

Just a step by step of what you do each wave would be cool.
Rokh

Postby Base » Wed May 21, 2008 1:36 am

Wowwiki has a list of each wave.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Battle_for_Mount_Hyjal

Basically:

Ghouls and Crypt Fiends - AoE tanked as many as you want. The ghouls enrage every now and then so keep an eye on their buffs.

Abominations - grab 0/1/2 depending on how many tanks you have and how brave your priests are for shackling a couple. The real danger with these is that they'll hit you with the knockdown while you are tanking a load of enraged Ghouls. If you can get away with the other tanks taking them while you control the other adds this is good.

Necromancers - we use melee to tank them and have a couple sheeped. They stay out of your consecration, so shouldn't be a problem getting them CC'd.

But to be honest - Rage and Anetheron trash is really easy. First time in Hyjal (after our first ever Kael kill) we one shot both Rage and Aneth including all their trash.

Once you get to the horde camp it's a bit harder - but it's more about learning what to do with each wave.
Base

Postby Lev » Wed May 21, 2008 1:36 am

spiders will first stay in range but you may try AS on them or exorcism to get their attention long enough for them to get into your melee range (which they will do since their ranged ability seems to have some cooldown)
They do not hit much harder than ghuls, so we can ae tank them just fine.

necros are spamming shadowbolts. it is just that kind of damage we can not avoid, let the melees take care of them unless you want some more incomming damage for manareg.
Lev

Postby ulushnar » Wed May 21, 2008 1:49 am

I'll add that Free Action potions are awesome for the opening part of the abomination waves.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Wed May 21, 2008 2:43 am

Ask the warrior to stand in front of you, let him spellreflect (if there are any casters) and you cast Holy Wrath just when they reach him. Bam! all of em glued to you and the others tanks then grab off the abos and casters are sheeped/shackled/nuked.
Waves with abominations, get either a free action pot or ask for the other tanks to be very fast on picking them up.

Really, the trash is harder than the bosses in MH, unless you have people who completely fail the "retard check" of don't stand in aoe's or reactive healers. If you can reach the boss, you quite sure can kill him (if not on first attempt, then soon enough)
Seloei

Postby Heironeous » Wed May 21, 2008 3:21 pm

1-2? Sheeesh. Wish my guild was so nice. They make me tank all of them from Rage-Azgalore. The other tanks pull off ghouls to "lighten the load". And they wonder why my shield snaps after FR tanking Anna-T's adds.

And this is why teenage girls shouldn't play WoW...
Heironeous

Postby Andover » Thu May 22, 2008 12:57 pm

Heironeous wrote:1-2? Sheeesh. Wish my guild was so nice. They make me tank all of them from Rage-Azgalore. The other tanks pull off ghouls to "lighten the load". And they wonder why my shield snaps after FR tanking Anna-T's adds.

That's why I use the trash drop shield from BT for all the trash waves in Hyjal then switch to KHH for tanking Boss encounters. Worst case you could also pick up the shield from Shattered Sun Offensive for an extra piece.

I carry 3 with me, normally only need 2 for a full night w/o dying in Hyjal.
Andover

Postby Heironeous » Thu May 22, 2008 3:06 pm

I got the shield from Kara and the merciless Gladiator's Shield Wall. I use the shield wall normaly for HP and since I dont need the defense it's my boss-shield. I swap to the other one for trash/FR tanking.

And this is why teenage girls shouldn't play WoW...
Heironeous

Postby Seloei » Thu May 22, 2008 11:44 pm

SSO spell damage shield with shield block on it is quite nice actually. nearly 4% more block on it alone. The bigger problem you will be having is that after Kaz trash and most of azga trash your shield will *quite* probably be broken even if you didn't wipe.

BT trash shield or archis shield are insane for the trash threat generation tho.
Seloei

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri May 23, 2008 9:34 am

I once had my primary tanking shield break in the middle of a trash wave. I hit my avoidance itemset keybind (hooray Itemrack) which threw on my SE and ZA shield. Dropped a repair bot, ninja repaired, and hit my tanking itemset keybind (again, hooray itemrack), and carried on.

Someone did notice the bot and called me on it a couple waves later. ^_^

As far as trash being harder than bosses -- I don't agree with this. Maybe if you try doing trash without a tankadin that's the case. With a prot paladin and backup warrior tank who knows what he's doing, it's a snooze fest.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Sat May 24, 2008 2:42 am

mh with people who know what they are doing is too easy.

The trash with a prot pala and a war/druid or two, yes is easy but only on the first 2 bosses where it is quite predictable and easy to aoe down.
First boss, 10k health to survive ice bolts, dont stand in aoe. Hits like a wimp and everyone spread out.
Second boss, shadow res gear on most and fire res on the offtank, wound poison up and spread.
The trash however starting on kaz gets a bit more complicated than "ok let the pala take everything and just aoe them down". And it needs more thinking and work then just press that Arcane Explosion/seed button. Third boss is more or less only a gear check, and if you cant get the trash down fast enough before new waves pop, you dont have the dps to own him anyway.
Azgas trash... imho... much harder than the boss himself due to the randomness and possible insta gibs of any tank. Boss himself isnt that hard unless you stand in aoes and the people run to the offtanks.

Then again, if you have any content on farm status it seems way too easy. On progression we one-shotted each boss after we got the trash down, except azgalor hence why i think the trash is harder.
The golden rule of TBC raiding : Dont stand in the fracking aoe.
Seloei

Was surprised how easy it was

Postby ldeboer » Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 pm

I was trawling in here because we did our first Hijal run last night and I was surprised how easy this was but I had watched a vid of a pally doing it. There is a bit of timing you will kind of get the hang off.

At the top of the hill there is 2 walls that neck everything down when the packs turn the corner to come up to you, drop a consecrate there then run back down to the pack of NPC's on horses.

Most of the 8 waves of crap will run thru your consecrate and agro on you when they reach your consecrate you should be able to drop a new consecrate (thats the timing thing). Healers should be behind the NPC's so any movement fwd by MOBs to get them high probability NPC's will get the MOB.

I had no trouble picking up almost everything mages counterspelled some of the casters so they came down to melee and the other 2 tanks picked casters and spiders that sat up the hill casting at me and we settled down to killing it all.

The first 2 waves were a joke could easily solo tank everything but they start getting harder and your healers need to get shield and HOT's on you preemptively before the pack arrives. Everyone was concerned at the abominations but to be honest they didnt do much exciting.

We took 3 tanks (me MT, 2 druid OT's), 7 healers and as much AOE dps as we could stack and really was very easy.

We got stuffed up with the boss Rage Winterchill however you really need the majority of raid to have PVP trinkets. The ice block is way to fast to heal (we had 0 priests) anyone hit with it think its 6K instant and 2K ticks by 4 or something like that. I kite tanked him down near Jaina Proudmoore the mage NPC and she messes him up you really just need to make sure you keep out of death and decay. Our problem was we kept losing raid people as she randomly targets them and ice blocks them. So most of the raiders are off to get PVP trinkets and we will try again. He really does hit like a wimp the whole raid dead and I tanked him solo for quite a while till he ice blocked me and blessing of freedom didnt work :( didnt have time to try bubble.

Still couple of nice epic drops from doing the crap so everyone went home happy :)

Edit: I was interested in http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... 276#149276 saying not to get Jaina involved so I take the fifth on that I don't know still investigating.
ldeboer

Postby ehly » Thu May 29, 2008 10:57 pm

In addition to some of what was said. One of the things we like to do is have a hunter just nab a mob and kite over to a few more npcs and back. Especially in the alliance camp.

Since once they hit my aoe they have a very hard time pulling back out, what I've started to do is just run up into the gateway and throw up my SoR. As the only target in range the tiny buffing 'aggro' is enough that they all target me. Hop back just a little bit. The hunter then snaps one right as I start to aoe.

In the horde camp because of the lay out difference I really don't give the hunter any time to pull them out. If they do great, if not its usually fine as well.

I also agree once you have learned the Az fight the trash is def much worse than the boss itself.
Last edited by ehly on Thu May 29, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ehly

Postby Seloei » Thu May 29, 2008 11:14 pm

The pvp trinket is not needed for Rage. Sure it helps but it is not needed.
Get your raid atleast at 10k raidbuffed health (should be easy) or 12k. It's not a dps race to kill him, most probably you have MORE than enough dps to down him.
I slap on heal gear on this fight and only focus on the bolt'ed people. Grid shows their name red for just a second while he casts ice bolt on them. Throw a quick heal on that target and hope to god someone else did the same and it's safe.
Mage's can blink out of the ice bolt btw.

All in all, this fight is about moving out of D&D, being ready to hit the heal on the bolted target FAST and just killing that mofo :)

Stay calm, ask the healers to focus more and get your epix
Seloei

Postby Shirak » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:00 am

Seloei wrote:...

All in all, this fight is about moving out of D&D, being ready to hit the heal on the bolted target FAST and just killing that mofo :)

Stay calm, ask the healers to focus more and get your epix

Sounds like the solaran fight some. I just made a macro that casted FoL on the target of my target. Three of us doing that made it a cake walk.

Would that work here?
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Next

Return to Mt. Hyjal