any reason a prot warrior would be better on hydross?

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

any reason a prot warrior would be better on hydross?

Postby sbeacher » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:58 am

So I'm in a casual guild that is just starting to get back into 25 man stuff.

Sunday we went into TK and took down a'lar (took about 7 attemps to down him) and then one shotted void reaver. More than half the people in the raid had never been there before (including me)

On alar I just tanked the adds while two prot warriors and a feral druid tanked alar. This made some sense as obviously I can get aggro on multiple mobs easier and the prot warriors could intervene to get to the platforms faster.

On void reaver, I did not do the initial pull but when the aggro finally came around to me I managed to keep him on me for 6 or 7 knockbacks. The prot warrior leading the raid kept telling all the hunters (4 of them) to misdirect onto him to give him back aggro (I'm not sure if there was a reason for this?)

Anyhow, we are discussing doing SSC and I offered to start collecting frost resist for hydross since I accidentally bought the stupid frost resist head enchant trying to get the def once (its on the first page and I wasn't paying attention)

He said it's better to have a prot warrior do that, but gave no reasoning.

On the trash before alar he also opted to SAP one of the mobs instead of letting me tank anything which was pretty pointless.

Anyhow is there any reason why a prot warrior would be better at that fight? I know there are adds to tank which obviously pallies are suited for.

Also here is the wowstats from the raid:

http://wowwebstats.com/xgfdj156y5x2e
sbeacher

Postby Lev » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:04 am

Seems he's a typical old school retard warrior, having no clue about your class at all. Just try to get accepted by other guildmates as a tank. At some point he won't be able to resist this any longer :p

Void Reaver did about 200 more dmg per hit to you than to him (it is "Axeman", isn't it?). Thats not that much. Anyway - i did not look at his armory - warriors tend to have better avoidance stats than us. So it would be quiet a bit easier for the healers.
But, ofc, for us it is pretty much easier to keep up bps on voidreaver as long as we have aggro.

For Hydross... pick nature resist gear! He starts out in frost phase, it is easier for an warrior to engage Hydross (intercept) than for a tankadin. If you have spellwarding. A Warrior is just 6% less dmg taken ahead of you (if he has imp. def stance). Actually this is very relative in resistance gear anyway because the 10% (paladin) or 16% (warrior) are calculated before resistances apply afaik.
Lev

Postby sbeacher » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:09 am

No Golruk was the "main" tank I guess, Axeman was like 2nd.

Lutador was the feral druid but he was dpsing for void reaver, he only tanked during a'lar.

Usually on ZA runs they don't take me and opt for the prot warrior/feral druid combo for increased dps but I think its interesting to note I did more dps than any of the other tanks (other than the feral druid of course)

He already apparently has the NR gear so it might be pointless for me to go for that. I've never even seen Hydross but if you need to get to him fast then maybe that is what he means by using prot warrior?

I definitely saw the advantage of intercept during a'lar as if there wasn't a tank on a platform quick enough we all took the damage.
sbeacher

Postby Lev » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:49 am

Hum, if you go for frost resist gear, it will be your job to engange him. I read about some potions that will make you invisible, so you could just walk towards him and attack without him being pulled over the trigger line, which would instantly bring another 4 elemental adds into battle. Maybe you just want do watch some hydross-videos ;)

Gulrok was getting hit for about the same amount as you did, so there is even less difference between you and him. He just might to have better avoidance, still, which should not be that big of a deal.
Lev

Postby ulushnar » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:56 am

I have full sets of both Resistance kits. If we have both our frost and nature prot warriors in the raid, then I wear hybrid resist gear and AoE tank the adds, otherwise I'll play Frost or Nature tank depending on need.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Exalt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:05 am

Lev wrote:Hum, if you go for frost resist gear, it will be your job to engange him. I read about some potions that will make you invisible, so you could just walk towards him and attack without him being pulled over the trigger line, which would instantly bring another 4 elemental adds into battle. Maybe you just want do watch some hydross-videos ;)

Gulrok was getting hit for about the same amount as you did, so there is even less difference between you and him. He just might to have better avoidance, still, which should not be that big of a deal.

They nerfed his aggro radius. You can EASILY just run towards him and JoR him without worrying about pulling him over the line.

However, if you throw your shield from max range and just stand there waiting for him... yeah... probably going to be some trouble.

I have a frost set that I use for his frost phase. I tank him and his 4 frost adds with no problems. When his nature phase rolls around, my NR warrior tanks him, and I tank all his adds. I've never even come close to wishing that I could get in range faster (0/3 PoJ). At one point it was an issue, but not anymore.
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Zolexa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:07 am

I've heard about the pulling range issues, but I have only tanked him after the range was shortened. I have never had any problems as Frost tank (other than way overzealous dps re-engaging instantly).

My only problem to date has been forgetting to un-target Hydross when switching into Nature and judging him instead of an add. Full frost resist doesnt work so well for nature phase. :oops:
Zolexa

Postby Exalt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:19 am

Zolexa wrote:I've heard about the pulling range issues, but I have only tanked him after the range was shortened. I have never had any problems as Frost tank (other than way overzealous dps re-engaging instantly).

My only problem to date has been forgetting to un-target Hydross when switching into Nature and judging him instead of an add. Full frost resist doesnt work so well for nature phase. :oops:

I think my worst experience on him was tanking him with Salv on. I only lost the adds a couple times, but I kept wondering why I was having such a hard time pulling more than just 5-10% ahead of our top dps on threat...
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Koln » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:52 am

I tank hydross during the nature phase just fine. We used to have 2 prot warriors on it to give them something to do, and then the nature tank one decided to quit. I quickly got the gear, and didn't have any issues taking over for him.
Koln

Postby sweeney » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:19 am

I'd suggest working on a mixed NR/FR set first -- you're ideally suited for tanking the adds in both phases. That's arguably the most important part tanking that goes on during the fight, anyway.

As far as the MT having epeen issues (you have to know he's hoping you don't fill in for him in ZA on a night he's out, because it will go smoother with Prot Pally + Feral), your best solution is to run heroic badge runs with your guild healers as much as possible. If you can make some overtures with him so he's not so threatened while you're winning over the healers, all the better.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby YoYoMa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Hydross is easy for us to tank. I was always the frost tank for him. As others have stated he used to have a gigantic aggro radius and if you couldn't get to him in time he would run across the invisible barrier and spawn 4 adds at the start of the fight which is obviously not what you want. But they took that out and now you can pretty much walk up to him before he aggros.

Our first few tries we had to remind the DPS that neither me or the other tank was in regular gear so threat would be lower than normal. Really only an issue for transitions.

Anyway, to answer your question, there isn't any reason you can't tank the boss just fine. If you are the frost tank I'd recommend popping your wings, running in with JoR and consecrate since you don't want to really stop and toss your shield because of positioning until you are more familiar with it. Get some early MDs and let the DPS get a nice lead in your first minute of free dps time.

When you hand off to the other tank, pick up an add or two.

As for adds, it's all in what your guild is confortable with. We never used any resist on any of the OTs and never had an issue. Obviously if you plan on picking up a bunch of them then you may want to consider this but if you are just grabbing one don't worry about it. Plus they are stunnable so if you need to buy your self some time till you get a heal just stun your add.
YoYoMa

Postby Extermi » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:10 am

In my experience (having him downed more than a dozen times) Prot Paladins have huge advantages at Hydross.

Actually, there are only 2 things that can go wrong. First and foremost this is Hydross running to the wrong person at the wrong side of the line during phase change. As a (Alliance) Paladin, I can stack up 5 SoV dots when my buddy is tanking, and at the switch, unload JoV, Conc, AS and switch to SoR with the SoV dot still ticking. This amount of snap aggro you can get is insane.

The second thing is the adds. As a Paladin tank, you can easily tank 3 of them that belong to your phase, while the other tank (without resi for that phase) takes the 4th. As soon as the adds die fast to AOE its nearly trivial in terms of damage intake.

Bottom line: Another encounter made much easier by a Prot paladin. Instead of tanking a phase, we can also easily tank all 4 adds in normal avoidance or mixed FR/NR gear.

Extermi
Extermi

Postby Tyaera » Tue May 20, 2008 9:27 pm

the only thing i can think of about the fight is that i run with around 100 less spell damage in my resist gear so my threat is not as high as normal, plus I am using Chromatic Wonder, so I can't flask to make up the difference.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Joonho » Wed May 21, 2008 12:19 am

Prot warriors can stack higher avoidance and get better spell mitigation on the Hydross fight. So basically, they are easier to heal. But they need OT's to tank the adds.

Paladins can AoE tank both Hydross and his adds pretty easily, which make them pretty ideal for tanking all the mobs for an entire phase. Thus, no OT's required.

Either way, both tanks are equally viable.
Joonho

Postby Steg » Wed May 21, 2008 6:47 am

As far as me and my guildmates have OT'ed at Hydross it is NOT needed to get a mix resist gear for the adds, though we have 2 tanks at minimum for the adds (2 each), and the healers ain't complaining :)
Steg

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern