Remove Advertisements

Kara AOE tanking?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Kara AOE tanking?

Postby Questioner » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:07 am

Well, it has been about 2 months since I was prot spec, but this Sunday I am switching back to tank Kara (sans Nightbane) for the guild. The hope is that 1.) We can give our warrior MT's a much needed break. 2.) I can help speed up the trash via aoe/burst/etc.

I am not logged in tank gear atm, but it is very solid for T4 level. Merciless Gavel, T4 Head/Shoulders, Void Reaver Bracers, and mostly other Kara epics (missing shield, chest and belt).

So, my question is, which trash to avoid aoe tanking? Maybe shackle 1 or 2 on Attumen trash but tank the rest? Obviously the spell damage packs near Aran still need to be CC'd.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Puss » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:26 am

watch out for the Valets ( before Moroes ) as they hit like a truck
The elite skeletons at Moroes cast a spell called Brittle Bones which lowers you armor to 0, which is quite annoying. It lasts 2 minutes.
Shackle 1 of the 2 dudes on your way to Opera event, can't remember their name, the ones that frost trap the tank. and have another priest ready to shackle the tanked one as soon as you get frosted. That way you can single tank these with only 1 tank.
Also the Sorcerous shades are a pain ( the ones on your way to netherspite ). They AOE damage your raid for quite a lot. Shackle the normal spellshades. The rest of the mobs are normal. I'd say the most dangerous mobs are the ones just before moroes, and the ghosts before Curator ( they hit like a truck ).

-Puss
Puss

Postby Ills » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:39 am

There are also those other ones by Moroes that stun you (get you drunk), so all your avoidance goes out the window. Even just one will take out the tank sometimes; two would be worse. They can't be shackled.
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Ills

Postby Questioner » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:57 am

Ills wrote:There are also those other ones by Moroes that stun you (get you drunk), so all your avoidance goes out the window. Even just one will take out the tank sometimes; two would be worse. They can't be shackled.

If you get them disarmed at 30% you should be fine.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Eloff » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:12 am

The absolute best way to do it is to have two tanks.

You AOE tank, and the 'other' tank focuses on the afforementioned adds that hit too hard, reduce your armor, etc. Since there's a tank on them, and you're on everything else, AOE can still go full out and you don't have to worry about pesky shackles (with a few rare exceptions.)

Seems like I spend more time drinking then tanking... but I'm sure it's not completely true.

I'm going to try to get my group to pull a second group once we get the first group to around 50%. Hunters do this best, but anyone can make it work.
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby Ills » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:12 am

My disarm button is broken. :(
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Ills

Re: Kara AOE tanking?

Postby Everlight » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:02 pm

Questioner wrote:Obviously the spell damage packs near Aran still need to be CC'd.

No they don't. Your gear is better than mine, and we just AOE them. The trick is easy; Throw your shield in their face, hit the bubble and Holy Wrath them, then run around the corner.

For the Sorcerous Shade pulls, we get our Druid to pull them and tank the Sorcerous while I throw a few heals on him. When I pull healing aggro on all the Spell Shades, they rush around the corner and straight into the Consecrate, then we AOE them too.
Everlight

Postby ari » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:03 pm

ive been doing kara for only a month/month and a half... still got gaps in my gear; but we have great healers that i trust and can spam with the best of them; and im obsessed with doing trash as fast as paladinly possible :P

we aoe just about the entire instance with the following points. (dont mind me repeating some of whats been said here)

shackle fearing horses.

brittle bones sucks.

shackle/OT ice tomb guys.

its easier to use a banish or two on the hallway trash leading to maiden; and its very very helpful to have an OT on the big guy in the mana drain pulls.

it helps to be tricky with line of sight on the ghosts up to aran; and choose your primary dps target and stuns wisely.... actually this applies to many other pulls too.

no you cant multi tank the ethereals :P single chain pulling this section is the quickest/most efficient way of getting thru imo.

this of course will put extra strain on your healers; but if you run simultaneous groups in kara and the group with the pally tank finishes their night a half hour or 45 mins earlier than the grp with a warrior your group will love you for it :D

also, maximise spell dmg and wear the consecration libram :D
ari

Postby Lorath » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:16 am

Some Karazhan trash tips from yours truly. :)

Spectral Charger (purple saddle horse)
Shackle due to annoying random charge+aoe fear, if shackle not available then OT somewhere out of sight, a single healer should be enough to keep OT alive while you dispatch any other mobs.

Phantom Valet
Make sure your healers know when you pull one of these coz like Puss said, they do hit like a truck, and fast too. They cannot be taunted and will most likely oneshot any clothie so go all out on threat and nuke em fast.

Ghostly Steward
Tbh we usually have an OT on one of them, just because of the Drunk debuff which can cause even the sturdiest tank to collapse in seconds.

Skeletal Usher (ice trap skellies)
Shackle one if possible, but one thing remains really helpful even without shackle; zero DPS until tank/tanks have been frozen once, then unleash hell. With this strategy they stay on tanks instead of killing the raid. Works like a dream even when those slacking priests are on the beach instead of Kara :P

Phantom Guardsman (comes in pairs)
AOE tank both, have raid focus fire on your target and ignore the dogs, just make sure you pick them up with Consecration. Dogs despawn when their master dies and are harmless to YOU, not to clothies :D

Maiden hallway b*tches
Banish/shackle if possible, AOE tank the rest. You may have to break LOS to get the casters to run towards you or have silence/counterspell on them or even wand pull'n'run. HoJ stun slightly before 50% so you don't get seduced (Concubine) or silenced (Wanton Hostess). Tremor totem works on the seduce also.

Arcane Anomaly/Syphoner packs
I usually pull these with Avengers Shield, run into the circular room and around the corner to break LOS, pop a consecrate along the way and AOE tank the Syphoners, while a warr/droobear OT the Anomaly, making sure to taunt after each blink (else your healers are doomed) With Holy Shield up and a second Consecrate up, the Syphoners stick on you while the raid AOE them down fast. You'll be oom when they are dead and that's why you want that rage OT to take the Anomaly. :)
Last 2 packs are best pulled by a hunter (misdirection ftw) simply coz it's a long way to run. If you don't break LOS they manadrain you too soon and you'll be in deep shit then ;)

Magical Horror/Mana Warp packs
AOE tank, banish one if possible, nuke Horror 1st then focus fire on the Warps in turn. Stun Warp at ~20% hp to prevent them from exploding, makes these pulls trivial and fast.

Ethereal Thief
Tank one or two at a time, three might be stretching your healers too much ;) They disarm (lame and pointless against us) and str/agi reducing stacking debuff (also insignificant)

Sorcerous Shade
AOE tank it along with all the adds aswell. 2 Paladins in the grp is recommended for Fire+Frost aura, alternatively use Shaman Fire+Frost res totems. Nuke big shade 1st then focus fire on the rest, one at a time. Make sure the raid understands to nuke your target. Good to switch to a fresh Shade when the one you are killing has ~10% hps.
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Jensaarai » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:57 pm

I AoE tank everything in Kara except for the Ushers leading to Opera, on the two-pulls we shackle one, just because they suck. Everything else you can AoE tank...
every Attumen pull...
every Moroes pull (though watch the drunken debuff on the Stewards and the Brittle Bones on the Waiters (stunlock ftw here))...
every Maiden pull...
every Opera pull except Ushers...
every Curator pull (though I usually have some type of OT on the Arcane Anomaly's...I take the syphoners)...
every Shade pull (yes, the four-pulls and the imp room...be creative ^_- use consecrate and back down the ramp)...
every Netherspite pull (I've gotten up to 3 thief's before, I think...could probably take 4 but it's such a hassle to get multiple ones together)...
every Prince pull...yeah.

Tankadins ftw in Kara.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Candiru » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:46 am

imp room run in bubbled and drop consecrate, they all run into melee with you, then you drop bubble and tell DPS to start.
Candiru

Postby Kvaern » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:07 am

CC in kara with a T4 geared pally tank/healers?

Like Jensaarai the only thing we shackle these days is the 2nd usher.
Kvaern

Postby Gideon » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:34 am

Kvaern wrote:CC in kara with a T4 geared pally tank/healers?

Like Jensaarai the only thing we shackle these days is the 2nd usher.

This man speaks the truth. On our alt runs we AOE tank the ethereals, Attumen/Nightbane, R&J and anything else that won't cc the tank.
Gideon

Return to Karazhan