How hard is MTing Tidewalker?

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

How hard is MTing Tidewalker?

Postby Ashmadai » Mon May 19, 2008 5:27 am

I'm just curious how hard it would be to MT Tidewalker as a Pally. My guild leader mentioned offhand he thought it was the only fight our guild does right now(5/6 SSC) (3/4 TK) that I would not be able to tank, and a warrior would need to tank.

I happen to believe I can tank whatever I want, and I'm just curious to hear from other Tankadins who have done it. I'd say the hardest hitter I've tanked so far is Tidalvess on Fathom Lord which I tank pretty much every time and I handle him fine. I haven't gotten to MT too much stuff. Hydross in nature phase, Void Reaver, etc.
Ashmadai

Postby Ashmadai » Mon May 19, 2008 5:27 am

And since I can't get to armory from work, it's Ashmadai on Malfurion if anybody is trying to look at my gear for reference.
Ashmadai

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon May 19, 2008 5:30 am

He's boring.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Janduin » Mon May 19, 2008 6:37 am

Your guild leader is very ignorant. Warriors, unless they stack lots of avoidance avoidance (which they should for this fight), get crushed a lot on Tidewalker because he hits so fast. Even if they do stack avoidance, Pallies take a lot less damage and spike damage in particular than a similarly geared Warrior. The guy was made for a pally tank (assuming ofc your gear is at the right level, I didn't look at your armory).

That said, pallies rarely tank Tidewalker because we are so much better at doing Murlocs than warriors/ferals are, and most guilds don't run with lots of tanking paladins.
Janduin

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon May 19, 2008 6:48 am

Ifi t's about viability to tank, there is ONE phase of ONE boss that can't be done by paladins, by the virtue that the dpsers need the buff from RoS' deaden.

Advantages/Disadvantages... Look in the Officer's Guide to paladin tanks in the training section. Give it to your guild leader too.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Morpheren » Mon May 19, 2008 7:00 am

I've MT'ed tidewalker before, and it was weird. I guess me re-sealing drew agro over the other pally healing the warlock. I can't explain it, I posted in another thread about it, and couldn't really figure it out. I ended up tanking him with all his murlocs for 2 waves though, damn healers kept me up. :D
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon May 19, 2008 7:42 am

sealing generates about 100 global threat...which spread around 13 targets really shouldn't be an issue.

Your warlock needs to learn2LifeTap
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Mon May 19, 2008 7:51 am

tbh, you dont even need a "prot pala" to tank the murlocs, a holy pala with RF on and spam healing the lock is enough to tank them also, their just... trash. The only difference is that he will be getting hit for a lot more than a prot pala, so you don't need to bring 2 "prot palas" for him, incase you are the only one.

And your guild leader sounds about err... uhm... i think the word im searching for is ignorant?
Seloei

Postby Morpheren » Mon May 19, 2008 7:52 am

Snake-Aes wrote:sealing generates about 100 global threat...which spread around 13 targets really shouldn't be an issue.

Your warlock needs to learn2LifeTap

yeah, it was the normal team that does it. they know what to do, and the paladin got 2 full HL's off but they still came to me. Maybe between that and the SA/EarthShield/PoM threat, but i dont know, 2 waves, right to me.

So much for eating less crushes that a warrior. lol.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby ulushnar » Mon May 19, 2008 7:52 am

I only MT'd him once before we stopped doing him simply because I was the only tankadin in the group for the longest time. Boring is the word. Only excitement came when I accidentally Consecrated just as the Murlocs were coming one time (the other tankadin thought she'd screwed up).

As for our specific advantages/disadvantages, we actually have a big advantage. He hits hard and fast, which can mean mucho crushes on a Bear tank and even the possibility of Shield Block charges being eaten up with a Warrior tank. We wiped so often to a damage spike on the MT and having a Pally tank vastly reduces the likelihood of such spikes.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhiannon » Mon May 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Between his variable swing timer and his earthquake attack using up shield block/holy shield charges, a warrior MT on moro's pretty much the worst choice.
Rhiannon

Postby Ashmadai » Tue May 20, 2008 8:05 am

Yeah, my guild leader has a bit of a "Shield Wall/Last Stand win the day" attitude. He definitely tries to give me a chance to tank whatever, but he just happened to tell me he thought I couldn't tank Tidewalker due to his fast hard attacks.

I think some people still don't fully understand that our avoidance and HP are not vastly inferior to Warriors anymore. My guild leader is a nice guy and he definitely doesn't have the attitude that Pally tanks suck or anything.

I don't even mind doing murlocs, the only reason I really ask is because our last night of doing Tidewalker, we had a warrior MT and 3 pally tanks. So one of the pally tanks was just standing around basically, and since I have more HP buffed than the warrior who was there I figured I should've been MTing.

Raid buffed I'm at about 55% avoidance and 20k HP.
Ashmadai

Postby mazater » Tue May 20, 2008 8:27 am

I like tanking Moro's adds more than the guy himself.

Tanking moro = Keep up your usual rotation

Tanking adds = try to not go OOM, now that's a real challenge!

I go oom every goddamn time I'm tanking the adds, QQ.
mazater

Postby Ashmadai » Tue May 20, 2008 8:50 am

Really? I never go OOM tanking the murlocs. I just lay down 2 consecrates and they're dead from the AoE.
Ashmadai

Postby Cearn » Tue May 20, 2008 9:10 am

I lay down one consc per wave and I normally gotta pot after the third wave to not dip below 20% Mana... They just don't do proper damage °_°
Cearn

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern