Remove Advertisements

Upgrades, Avoidance, and the cost of being a tankadin....

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Upgrades, Avoidance, and the cost of being a tankadin....

Postby Philleous » Sun May 18, 2008 8:47 am

Hey guys, I'm new here, but I need a bit of help with my gear. Im currently my guilds main tank (most of the time) and we've cleared kara and are just starting gruuls and za. (1/2 & 1/6 so far) Heres and armory link for me as well:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... =Philleous - at the moment it says im fishing, but i have http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29185 with +40 spell damage
and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29266 with the +15 block rating

The problems I'm having are all around keeping my hard earnt 102.4%.
The upgrades I'm looking at are mainly chest, legs and shoulders all either the Kara drops (warr gear obv), the T4, and the badge rewards. Playing around with this stuff on www.warcrafter.net (nice site) - all of those upgrades, even enchanted and gemmed, will drop my avoidance.

Has anyone else had any trouble keeping their avoidance as they upgrade their gear?
Is 102.4% really that critical when i could gain ~1.5k HP if i were to sit at about 100%?

Not long ago I re-gemmed everything to stamina as i was on about 107%, but then i got a few "upgrades" which gave me that stamina, but meant i had to gem back to def/avoid

I know alot of these problems will dissapear as I start to hit the T5 gear, but I dont know what the best way forwards is, mainly for ZA, Gruul and maggy. I find myself way over geared in alot of kara (actually sitting down at a boss to eat a crit - just so i can get some mana regen).

So yeah, do I need to be religous about my 102.4% and just deal with having 3k less HP than our best warrior, or can I be working on my HP and drop my avoidance for now?

Cheers guys
Philleous

Postby inthedrops » Sun May 18, 2008 8:59 am

You should not be main tanking gruul crushable. You can OT it that way but if your MT dies and you become MT then good luck with that.

You really don't want to be crushed in 25 man. If your warrior has better stats just let him tank. You'll get some upgrades again.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Philleous » Sun May 18, 2008 9:06 am

I can easily be uncrushable, it just means I'm down to 12.6k HP unbuffed, whereas our warriors sit on ~14k, and I can match that with a 2% crush chance.

Im aware I don't need quite the same HP as an equivelant warrior cause of Ardent Defender - It's just that all the gear availiable to me as upgrades seems to favour stam over avoidance. I'm guessing blizzard just assumes that all of your gear is of a level where thats where the upgrades need to be, and assumes you're way over uncrushable by that point. I've got a furies deck I'm going to be handing over in a couple of weeks at the next faire, but I'm worried I can't use it cause it drops me to 102.35%.
Philleous

Postby Fridmarr » Sun May 18, 2008 9:21 am

Philleous wrote:I can easily be uncrushable, it just means I'm down to 12.6k HP unbuffed, whereas our warriors sit on ~14k, and I can match that with a 2% crush chance.

Im aware I don't need quite the same HP as an equivelant warrior cause of Ardent Defender - It's just that all the gear availiable to me as upgrades seems to favour stam over avoidance. I'm guessing blizzard just assumes that all of your gear is of a level where thats where the upgrades need to be, and assumes you're way over uncrushable by that point. I've got a furies deck I'm going to be handing over in a couple of weeks at the next faire, but I'm worried I can't use it cause it drops me to 102.35%.

Don't trust blizz, there's no way they are smart enough with itemization to create it in such a manner. You really do want your health to be near that of your warrior against big hitters. Ardent Defender is of little use against late growth Gruul or Mag, because of the size of their hits. Have you looked at your uncrushable value when fully buffed? You can use elixirs of Major Fort + Major Agi + Agi Scroll to increase your dodge a bit. It may be enough, to have you reach uncrushable with less of a swing in health.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Kaelie » Sun May 18, 2008 9:55 am

Slikk's Cloak of Placation would give you an extra ~1.3% avoidance just from the dodge rating, more from the defense that I can't be bothered to calculate right now, and extra stam at the same time. If you're clearing Kara, that's three weeks at the most.
Kaelie

Postby Skwigelf » Sun May 18, 2008 11:09 am

Not sure if your armory is correct but...

Moroe's Lucky Pocketwatch in your currently empty second trinket slot?

Thats an extra 2% to your Dodge, which is currently only at 17.27%. Methinks you want to be around 20-ish for boss fights.

That will push you to 105-or-so % uncrushability.

That will allow you to drop some of your +dodge/parry/defense gems and throw in more +12 stam gems which should push you over 13k unbuffed.

Your current Armory:

Defense: 512

Dodge: 17.27%
Parry: 18.17%
Block: 20.1%
Miss: 11.48%
Uncrushability(w/HS+LoR): 102.46
Avoidance: 46.92%

With the Pocketwatch that's 19.28% Dodge, 104.47% Uncrush, and 48.93% Avoid.

As the poster above me said, grab Slikk's Cloak of Placation. That's 4 more Defense rating, 1.32% more Dodge, 7 more Stamina, and 79 more Armour. Throw the Dodge enchant on it and thats another 0.63% Dodge.

That pushes you up to over 21% dodge, 106% Uncrush, and 50% Avoid.
Skwigelf

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice