Shade of Aran: Should I just get on my rogue?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Shade of Aran: Should I just get on my rogue?

Postby Vs » Wed May 14, 2008 3:55 pm

Hey all,

We are starting Kara as a guild this week (I personally have been in it on and off for over a year) and I was wondering this:
Since my Rogue still needs the Cloak of the Dark Reavers and Aran has no tank would the raid survive for me to bring in my rogue to add top line DPS (for my guild's level of gear) into the fight?

Thank you.
Vs

Postby Cearn » Wed May 14, 2008 4:00 pm

if you have a locktrans available, do it, if not, don't waste your raids time...
Cearn

Postby Lookit » Wed May 14, 2008 5:06 pm

There is no tanking whatsoever in this fight*, so either throw on some healing gear, bust out a 2-hander and dps, or switch toons. If you don't have a warlock who can banish and fear the adds, you might think about leaving on some tank gear and tanking the elementals.

* Idly, Aran does have a normal aggro table, but will typically only use it when he has been locked out of all 3 of his spell schools. He'll run over to whoever is number one on threat and punch them for a few seconds before he is able to cast again.

All of his spells, of course, have random targeting.
Lookit

Postby Eltiana » Wed May 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Assuming you don't need the ring off Aran, then you might as well if your raid has no problem with it.
Eltiana

Postby Cearn » Wed May 14, 2008 5:37 pm

Lookit wrote:[...]* Idly, Aran does have a normal aggro table, but will typically only use it when he has been locked out of all 3 of his spell schools. He'll run over to whoever is number one on threat and punch them for a few seconds before he is able to cast again.[...]

Isn't he supposed to cast instant Pyros when all three schools are locked? I do believe we had him staff-whack us with one mage and one rogue only, so no way we could lock all three schools.
Cearn

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 14, 2008 5:52 pm

he melees with a regular aggro table once all three are locked

that's not much of the problem..the problem is that he moves

so he will interrupt casters nearby
and melee will stop dpsing
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ldeboer » Wed May 14, 2008 10:28 pm

Cearn wrote:
Lookit wrote:[...]* Idly, Aran does have a normal aggro table, but will typically only use it when he has been locked out of all 3 of his spell schools. He'll run over to whoever is number one on threat and punch them for a few seconds before he is able to cast again.[...]

Isn't he supposed to cast instant Pyros when all three schools are locked? I do believe we had him staff-whack us with one mage and one rogue only, so no way we could lock all three schools.

He pyro's the first time he runs out of mana nothing to do with his casting. He sheeps everyone sits drinks then pyro's and since 2.2 stuns can interrupt it. If he runs out of mana again he just chugs a mana pot and continues no more pyro's.

If you have enough dps you can kill him before he runs out of mana and you will never see the pyro. Usually most guilds monitor his HP v Mana bar and you get an indication of raid dps. The aim is for his health to drop faster than his mana bar.
ldeboer

Postby ldeboer » Wed May 14, 2008 10:33 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:he melees with a regular aggro table once all three are locked

You can however just raid adjust for the move and ignore it he will eventually re-centre himself when he goes to do an arcane blast which he always does from near centre he kind of trots over and does it.

Generally him going melee isn't a problem unless its a clothie who needs to agro dump or someone taunt him. I often taunt him even though I am healing gear he hits like a pussy.
ldeboer

Postby Seloei » Wed May 14, 2008 11:47 pm

If you are still trying to get the fight down, yeah bring your rogue since those few more interupts might be the thing you are missing for the "first kill".
Otherwise, either slap on heal gear or dps gear and whack away. The only tanking needed there are the elementals so they don't go for the healers. Taunt one, frisbee another, judge a third.
Seloei

Postby Fridmarr » Thu May 15, 2008 1:28 am

You do want a tank on him, in this case a tank being any melee who can generate the most threat. He will melee whether he's locked out or not, it's just a random thing. If the highest threat is a ranged dpser, then he'll run to him and take a swing. Generally because of his AoE frost thing and his AoE silence, you really need him to be in the center of the room, and having him mobile can cause some problems.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu May 15, 2008 5:44 am

Fridmarr wrote:You do want a tank on him, in this case a tank being any melee who can generate the most threat. He will melee whether he's locked out or not, it's just a random thing. If the highest threat is a ranged dpser, then he'll run to him and take a swing. Generally because of his AoE frost thing and his AoE silence, you really need him to be in the center of the room, and having him mobile can cause some problems.
No

He melees in 2 situations
1: All schools locked
2: You locked arcane. He'll emlee for the duration of the arcane missiles and keep casting from wherever he is till he uses a 'special'
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Thu May 15, 2008 6:06 am

ldeboer wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:he melees with a regular aggro table once all three are locked

You can however just raid adjust for the move and ignore it he will eventually re-centre himself when he goes to do an arcane blast which he always does from near centre he kind of trots over and does it.

Generally him going melee isn't a problem unless its a clothie who needs to agro dump or someone taunt him. I often taunt him even though I am healing gear he hits like a pussy.

Actually, him moving around is a problem in many respects:

1. he locks down a healer at a bad time
2. Blizzard is up. Him being in th outer ring during a blizzard is bad
3. Right before a flame wreath. It sucks when he resets right after the flame wreath occurs, leaving all your melee stranded for the duration of it.

It is honestly can make or break an attempt for many groups, especially those just starting him for the first time with kara gear level characters.
jere

Postby Ciandin » Thu May 15, 2008 10:06 am

Don't take the cape on your rogue if a full time raider can use it. Wait until your raid is geared before gearing up alts.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Return to Karazhan