Minimum gear to start MH

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Minimum gear to start MH

Postby Stos » Tue May 06, 2008 11:05 am

Hello all,

I was wondering what are the minimum stats for a Pally tank to start in MH. From what I understand it would be my responsibility to mostly tank large waves of trash. Normally I wouldn't consider going there until I had a lot more BV gear (and probably SD) but it turns out I might get an invite to go there on the weekend so I'd like to do what I can in that short time to maximize my chances at performing well.

Here's my armory.

I'm currently logged out in my generic boss tanking gear but I don't really have a lot of BV gear that doesn't severly gimp my stamina and other stats. Most of it is blue/green. I have the T4 gloves for SD and I have close to 100 badges I could use on badge AoE tanking gear but not sure what to prioritize. Block legs? Autoblocker?

So what is the worse part of my gear? Someone else mentioned they tank MH with 13.5k HP, 500 SD, 500 BV. Does that seem reasonable? Any ideas what I can swap to get there?

I guess the answer might be: "You have no hope in hell of AoE tanking MH in 4 days time." That's fine too. Better to know that now I guess. :)

Thanks for your time,
-Stos
Stos

Postby mazater » Tue May 06, 2008 11:24 am

I AoE tanked my first hyjal run in this excat gear:
http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/57084

And, I felt a bit downgeared, Ardent defender saved me 4 times iirc, however I didn't die even once and kept aggro smoothly (except that one time I forgot to turn righteous fury on *whistle*)
mazater

Postby jere » Tue May 06, 2008 11:31 am

Mazater wrote:I AoE tanked my first hyjal run in this excat gear:
http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/57084

And, I felt a bit downgeared, Ardent defender saved me 4 times iirc, however I didn't die even once and kept aggro smoothly (except that one time I forgot to turn righteous fury on *whistle*)

MH Repair bill for keeping aggro the entire night: 75g
Getting all your warlocks and mages killed because you forgot RF: Priceless
jere

Postby Stos » Tue May 06, 2008 12:13 pm

Playing around in warcrafter I could switch Dabiri's Enigma for the GAB600 for 41 badges and switch my legs with the Unwavering Legguards for another 75 badges (meaning I'd have to farm 25 or so). If I put in 2 Glowing Nightseye in the Unwavering legs I'd have base 289 SD and 417 BV with 200 more BV for 20 seconds every 2 min. 15.9k armor, 15.2k HP, 16.88% block chance. I could loose 51 sta and the holy damage proc off my Dark Moon Vengeance card to put back Dabiri's Engima and pop both at once to up my block chance if that's better too.

I can go further on BV but I usually end up loosing stamina, defense and possible SD.

-Stos

Edit: Whoops, that's with Vambraces of Courage that I have also.
Stos

Postby mazater » Tue May 06, 2008 12:18 pm

Don't replace DMV-card imho, it's good threat and every bit of stamina helps you take a few more hits.

I'm going to get it myself too, just need 5,6&8 cards still.
mazater

Postby Heironeous » Fri May 09, 2008 8:14 am

I'm seriously undergeared for MH, or at least I was, but we had a retard prot pally and I got the promo from the other officers to do the job. Now we're at Azgalor and I think my newer gear hit it's cap on the way to Kazrogal.

Should I get the trinket from H-MGT over the pocket watch? Will that be that much more effective? On heavy Abom waves on Azgalor I pop the pocket watch and a nightmare seed to settle the healers in. So that'd change that a bit.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Heironeous

And this is why teenage girls shouldn't play WoW...
Heironeous

Postby Tekkel » Sat May 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Not really. If u have proper healers u won't go to low in hp and if u do the pocket watch saves u more then the trinket. Pocket watch is your emergency button. If u get low when not equipped all u can do is pop health pots and stones and prey your healers wake up.

Died too much on the heavier abom waves when my healers weren't paying attention.
Tekkel

Postby Heironeous » Mon May 12, 2008 5:58 am

We finaly got the trash to Azgalor down to a science. Now if we could just kill him I'd feel more secure. But between the pocket watch and the spyglass I generaly dont get snagged up, just the Aboms that send to make me stress. Healers are great, but every once in a while they'll stun me, walk behind me and chain-crush me in the back of the skull.

But that only happens when my bubble and the free-action pots are on CD. I just didn't know if there was a way to remove the luck from those guys. Since I cant seem to blow off their BS with 15% stun resist, free action pots and popping bubble. I didn't sign up for Heroic Stratholme.

Heironeous

Postby Averroes » Mon May 12, 2008 6:37 am

I don't think you have enough spell damage work on that and you should be ok, best of luck.
Averroes

Postby Drak » Mon May 12, 2008 11:06 am

I can't see your armory atm (stupid filters), but if it helps, I did just fine my first time in Hyjal with roughly 200-300 BV and 300ish spell dmg buffed, though my dps was roughly the same gear level as I. Honestly, I would not worry about BV and Spell damage so much, just use your main set (assuming it has decent stats). OF course, if you find your dps is pulling OFTEN even when you're buffed and going all out, then it might be a good idea to get more spelldamage, but i've never felt the need to make a separate set with tons and tons of BV/dmg, especially because in a set like that aboms would CRUSH me, and believe me, you'll have to take your fair share of knockdowns.
Drak

Postby Stos » Mon May 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I went on Saturday and it was actually a lot of fun. Killed Rage on our 4th attempt (the first of which we didn't make it through all the trash) and then proceeded to clear the trash to Anetheron twice although we couldn't down him. We were short a few people by then though and none of us had seen the fight before (and we honestly didn't expect to make it that far so we weren't as prepared as we should have been.)

Turns out the group was mainly interested in farming the trash waves for the random epic drops, hearts of darkness, etc. so it worked out well. There were also quite a few tanks which probably helped. We ran with 3 prot pallies and 1 prot warrior and it seemed to work well if one of us got swamped with guys and the healers couldn't keep up another would taunt 3 off. (Couldn't taunt off the NPCs which sucks :(. ) I know this isn't the recommended setup but it worked well enough for the farming they wanted to do and made my gear less important although I didn't seem to have too much trouble even when most of the guys were on me. (Props to the amazing healers.)

I ended up running with around 270-ish BV and around 360-ish SD buffed.

I'll have to see how often I end up doing this kind of tanking vs single target lower-end content and I may end up buying a bunch of badge pieces for the SD/BV.

Thanks again!
-Stos
Stos

Postby Heironeous » Mon May 12, 2008 1:26 pm

Even I can tell you: Bring a second shield. Use your lesser shield on the first 5ish waves of rage and the first 4 of Anna-T's. Less you brough a repair bot.

Heironeous

Postby Conaan! » Wed May 14, 2008 3:26 pm

It really isnt that difficult, with some kara/badge gear you really cant lose, im horribly undergeared (43% unbuffed dodge/parry/miss i believe) and only 350 BV with about 362 or something SD, and i was able to tank everything but necro's in the trash to rage, that is until abom's, which we had other tanks pick them up while i tanked everything else and "maybe" 1 abom.

bring warrior tanks or druids, have them set in a line and when the abom's come by they just picked one out of the crowd and drag it away, or sometimes 2 depending on how many.
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Stricker » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:26 am

Sorry for bumping this, I was hoping someone could give me some advice regarding my (soon) AoE tanking in MH...

This is my gear:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... n=Stricker

I have 26% dodge rating, 18% block chance. I can switch some gear around and get some 20% dodge rating and 23% block chance (and lose about 700 helath). Would this be better? (I'm getting DMC:V on monday, so I'll replace Dabiri's Engima)
Stricker

Postby Heironeous » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:35 am

Dodge is better than SB. Get a lot of it. HP is highly needed, not as much to do Rage/Anna-T trash as it will be later, but it never hurts to over-clock it. Replacing that trinket will help a lot, actually.

If you have any specific questions about doing it just ask, but your gear is better than mine was when I started doing it. I didn't have any nifty badge items, and I did fine. But consider moving spell warding out for stoicism untill you get more time spent on the abom waves. Move it back when you can, but it's an easy buffer zone for learning.

Heironeous

Next

Return to Mt. Hyjal