Advice on res gear for Hydross add tanking

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Chunes » Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm

regarding tanking Adds, if you are geared from badges/KZ you should not have any trouble tanking these guys sans resistance gear. I am the poison form MT for my guild and when he switches over to frost i usually end up tanking at least a couple of the frost adds. I never have problems, my healers never have problems.

So if you are rushing to get this guy on farm, just have your two MT's craft sets, the adds are pretty weak even to a non-resistance geared tank.
Chunes

Postby Thalani » Tue May 13, 2008 9:57 am

First post, and I'm nervous as heck.
I'm a bit of a noob paladin tank. Been using the info on this site to get an understanding of my class.
My experience has been with tanking heroics and Karazhan. I solo tank Attumen. I've tanked most bosses in Karazhan.
My guild in general has Karazhan on farm, first boss in ZA on farm, and has been doing Gruul's Lair for the past month or so.

We're about to set foot into SSC for the first time. We have 2 warrior tanks decked out in resist gear for his two phases, but it looks like I'll be solo on all 4 adds.

I currently have a mixed resist set on which puts me at (unbuffed):
175 NR
197 FrostR
256 Spell Damage
443 Defense
10937 HP

My armor link is here:
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Thalani
On Tuesday 05/13/2008 at 9:48 AM PST, this showed my current resist set that I plan to wear.

Consumables I plan to use include:
+stam food
Flask of Chromatic Wonder
Spell Damage oil for my weapon

I'll also have druid buff, hunter NR buff, and wear my frost resist aura. Yes, I know they don't stack, but at least 2 of those travel with me.

I'm seeing a lot of different opinions on where priorities should be for stats for this fight. Some say to ignore resist sets and wear +defense. Some say the drop in +def is fine. Others still say to go ahead and load up on spell damage to hold aggro against the AoEers...
All this leaves me very confused.
Is this one of those situations where I'm going to just have to try it a couple different ways and see what works best for our particular raid make-up?

-T.
Thalani

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue May 13, 2008 10:12 am

Pretty much,T. You still want to be uncritable, and after you have 14k-ish hp, spell damage as much as you can. That's my personal setup, worked wonders.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalani » Wed May 14, 2008 1:29 pm

That didn't go so well...
Only had 20 people show up.
I had 2-3 healers on me.
First time, I got no heals for some reason (I think they may have been surprised that I was taking damage so quickly?).
Second time, the healers overcompensated, got healing aggro right as I dropped my first consecrate, and all died.

Ouch.

-T.
Thalani

Postby axxon » Sun May 18, 2008 1:43 pm

My guild are done with SSC/TK, but recently we step in there with various alts etc. Since none of the tanks had any resistance gear we were thinking of skipping hydross. But we wanted to give a go anyway just to see how things were :) We had 1 warrior tank, 1 pala tank, and 2 druids, all in kara/badges gear. The paladin tanked hydross since he had the most HP, and it went very well without any resistance gear. We downed him with our alts that are all kara/badge geared so imo there arent any need for any resistance gear on hydross any more. The other tanks tanked the adds in no resistance gear either :)
axxon

Postby Cearn » Mon May 19, 2008 3:10 am

i guess you just need good dps to take down the adds and switch directly after a debuff runs out.
how many debuffs did your paladin take each phase?
Cearn

Postby axxon » Mon May 19, 2008 4:37 am

We did it the "normal" way, with the 4. mark tank startet to move him. We were quite amazed that this fight was doable with no resist gear whatsoever :D
axxon

Postby Zaitsev » Mon May 26, 2008 1:58 pm

This post has been a good read and a great help; my guild is just starting to look at Hydross so here's hoping :)
Zaitsev

Postby iwillpunishu » Tue May 27, 2008 11:24 am

Thalani wrote:That didn't go so well...
Only had 20 people show up.
I had 2-3 healers on me.
First time, I got no heals for some reason (I think they may have been surprised that I was taking damage so quickly?).
Second time, the healers overcompensated, got healing aggro right as I dropped my first consecrate, and all died.

Ouch.

-T.

For a progression kill, I'm not sure I would be doing the "tank all adds strat", you can banish and fear some, if you have a warlock or 2 with you,
grab 2 and focus fire them imo.
iwillpunishu

Postby Bagnar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:56 am

Hi guys

Hoping for some input on tanking adds on Hydross.

My guild is currently looking at trying him out next week (finally gotten enough resist gear for the maintanks).

So i for a while been gathering mats and suchs to get my resist gear ready, just wanna hear you guys view on it.

Stats (Raidbuffed, Spell dmg oil, Stam food (No Elixirs/Flasks cant deside if i should go resist one or more spelldmg/stam)):
HP: 15227
Defense: 472 + 18 resillience (Should make me crit immune against lvl 71 mobs)
Dodge+Parry+Miss: 37,41%
Frost Resist: 270
Nature Resist: 218 (Hoping to get another 20-30 as soon as i get my hands on a cloak with nature res on)
Spell Dmg: 408

How does this sound?

Gear for anyone intersted:

Iceguard Helm (+20 frost enchant)
Pendant of Withering
Wildguard Breastplate (+8 Nature enchant)
Iceguard Leggings (+40 stam/12agil enchant)
Frozen Eye
Natural Ward
Green cloak with Nature res (+15 nature res enchant) Still missing this one =/

Rest of gear is normal tank kit stuff:
T4 Shoulders (10 Dodge/15Def enchant)
T4 Gloves (20 spell dmg enchant)
Bracers of the ancient Phalanx (12 stam enchant)
Girdle of the fearless
Sabatons of the righteous defender (12 stam enchant)
Guardian's Alchemist Stone
Moroes' lucky pocket watch
Merciless Gladiator's Gavel (40 Spell dmg enchant)
Shield of Impenetrable Darkness (18 stam enchant)
Libram of the Eternal Rest (Im assuming this is the best libram for this fight)

So anyway what do you all think? Should i be ok like this or is there things i should change.
If my gear looks awful its proberly my 5man gear :P
Bagnar

Previous

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern