Remove Advertisements

A bit confused about avoidance after 102.4 %

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

A bit confused about avoidance after 102.4 %

Postby Infinite Discontinuity » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 am

So after reading the sticky, I learned that at 102.4 % avoidance all attacks against me will be either dodged, parried, blocked, or will miss me. My question is that given this what is the benefit of more avoidance after 102.4 %? Is it just that it will make block less likely and I will therefore take less damage from it spilling over my block value?
Infinite Discontinuity

Re: A bit confused about avoidance after 102.4 %

Postby Lookit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:13 am

Infinite Discontinuity wrote:Is it just that it will make block less likely and I will therefore take less damage from it spilling over my block value?

This is exactly right. However, if you're fighting a boss who hits for 9k and your block value is 700, you can see there is quite a difference between a dodge and a block. Thus, it is still worthwhile to increase your avoidance (dodge, miss, parry) past 102.4 uncrushability.

This is of course considering that the most worthwhile stat to stack after uncrushability is stamina, and that this is in consideration of tanking bosses. For heroics, for example, uncrushability is not an issue (heroic mobs cannot crush) so stamina and block value are more valuable than extremely high avoidance.
Lookit

Postby sbeacher » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Basically once you get to 102.4% you want to start replacing block rating with stamina, dodge, and/or parry WHILE MAINTAINING 102.4%. This is when you can start getting a little creative with your gear.

Once you get past 102.4 your extra block rating "falls off the table" so to speak so those stats are considered "wasted". This is somewhat misleading because they only fall off the table when you have holy shield up and/or redoubt which isn't ALL of the time (though it should be if your rotation is correct) so there is a little bit of grey area.

Also at this point you can start making other gear sets that emphasize spell damage and block value to use when you overgear content or are tanking things other than raid bosses that don't require you to have 102.4%. 102.4% is only required for level 73 raid bosses that crush. Some of them (such as bear and lynx in ZA) you don't even need 102.4% because those bosses just don't crush (because their special moves basically hit as hard as a crush anyhow) and you can dip below that in favor for more stamina and avoidance.
sbeacher

Postby Tyaera » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:15 pm

Yep, basically the idea once you reach 102.4% is to start swapping out block rating for dodge rating and stamina.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Infinite Discontinuity » Thu May 08, 2008 3:23 pm

Excellent, thank you!
Infinite Discontinuity

Postby sapientialb » Sun May 11, 2008 11:19 am

Keep in mind this also means looking for opportunities to slowly adjust your defense down towards the 490 mark and replace it with dodge while maintaining uncrushability as well.

I think for me this has been the hardest part of each time I get a shiney new purple ...to the point I accidently tanked Prince a few points crushable one night.

On a happier note since Maiden is a worthless hoe and I've been stuck with felsteel greaves since I turned 70, I can finally fit the tier 4 gloves in my normal set and still remain uncrushable.

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby Cosmoz » Mon May 12, 2008 8:23 am

even to you wanna stack more complete avoidance (such as miss/parry/dodge) you dont want to MUCH of it. if you get to much, you might end up losing threat AND getting into mana problems. you need to get hit to generate good threat, and also to regen your mana (heals)
i did say once you get to 102.4% and lets say no more then 55% complete avoidance (thats a LOT of avoidance) then you should rather work towards more spelldamage or even more stamina if you can get it.
Cosmoz

Return to Basic Training & Talents