Remove Advertisements

Gruul vs Mulgar difficulty

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Gruul vs Mulgar difficulty

Postby Shirak » Wed May 07, 2008 9:17 am

I tanked Mulgar with no problems at all. To be quite frank, I was disappointed in the fight. I expected to be popping trinkets, having the raid leader to be calling extra healers over to help heal after each mini-boss, using health stones, and watching my health drop to the red time after time.

Truth be told, I never went under 50% health and only after the mage went down did the RL even say all heals to Shirak.

Of course for Gruul I was told to put healing gear.

How much harder is Gruul to MT over Mulgar?
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 07, 2008 9:44 am

In terms of execution, a lot more.

Not that it's hard, maulgar is the too easy one. Dish out as much threat as you can while making sure holy shield is up, save survivability trinkets for the silences and use don't use AW, bubble may save the raid from a bad shatter.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Cosmoz » Wed May 07, 2008 2:01 pm

huh? why did you have to heal on gruul? the healers in your raid should not have any problems keeping everyone up at gruuls, and you are FAAR better tanking and have your OT (druids? or warriors?) to dps on gruul instead.

I did heal the first 2 gruul runs I ever did, cuz of my gear. was not enough to MT (had like 12k hp) and palas realy suck for OT...
Looking at your HP/armor, you are way way past the line where you can start tank gruuls.
Cosmoz

Postby Shirak » Wed May 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Our guild Leader is a holy Pali and feels a Feral Druid serves to be the best tank for 25 man raid bosses.

I got excited when I saw my name as MT1 last night. I tanked Mulgar, a couple of trash mobs, then back in healing gear... Then he had our feral druid MT Gruul and a Warrior OT Gruul.

I didn't know if Gruul was that much harder to tank than Mulgar.

Note, raid buffed, I hit 18.3k hitpoints currently.
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Shirak wrote:Our guild Leader is a holy Pali and feels a Feral Druid serves to be the best tank for 25 man raid bosses.
Guess what he's wrong. He's probably looking at raw HP. Overall warriors and paladins take less damage than druids, go figure ;)
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Wulfhere » Thu May 08, 2008 7:31 am

Shirak wrote:
[snip]

Then he had our feral druid MT Gruul and a Warrior OT Gruul.

[snip]

Actually, he had this exactly backwards from a min/max POV. Assuming equal gear level, a druid will take less damage as OT on Gruul than a warrior/paladin since Hurtful Strike can't crush. A druid will also do a better job generating threat as OT than a warrior.

The main disadvantage for a paladin tank on Gruul is, of course, the periodic silence. A poorly timed one will leave you unable to refresh Holy Shield. At later growths, a crush during silence could be fatal.
Wulfhere

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu May 08, 2008 7:50 am

Wulfhere wrote:
Shirak wrote:
[snip]

Then he had our feral druid MT Gruul and a Warrior OT Gruul.

[snip]

Actually, he had this exactly backwards from a min/max POV. Assuming equal gear level, a druid will take less damage as OT on Gruul than a warrior/paladin since Hurtful Strike can't crush. A druid will also do a better job generating threat as OT than a warrior.

The main disadvantage for a paladin tank on Gruul is, of course, the periodic silence. A poorly timed one will leave you unable to refresh Holy Shield. At later growths, a crush during silence could be fatal.
This.
My first killing of him he crushed me for 9k(mind you i had 18k buffed health), and he still lived for 2 more growths. As I said... Save your survival trinkets for silences, save forbearance to bubble out of the stuns(saved me from killing 4+ dpsers quite a few times) and blurt out as much threat as you can.
Ah, and rotate him around to avoid cave-ins, specially after 5 or so growths
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Sithy » Thu May 08, 2008 10:24 am

I've had him crush me through a cast of Hammer of Wrath. He was at like 4%. QQ.

I've done all 3, healed, OT and MT on Gruul.

By far the easiest is to MT, both warriors and paladins are excellent at MTing him. They can do good as an OT but a druid does much better as their threat generation isn't as tied to rage as a warriors (or mana in the case of a paladin).
Sithy

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu May 08, 2008 10:31 am

Sithy wrote:I've had him crush me through a cast of Hammer of Wrath. He was at like 4%. QQ.

By far the easiest is to MT, both warriors and paladins are excellent at MTing him. They can do good as an OT but a druid does much better as their threat generation isn't as tied to rage as a warriors (or mana in the case of a paladin).
Just a small correction: Their threat gen is more tied to rage than a warrior's, but rage, for them, comes in in huge amounts from the damage they do, so they can keep bashing for high threat.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Cearn » Fri May 09, 2008 7:02 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Sithy wrote:I've had him crush me through a cast of Hammer of Wrath. He was at like 4%. QQ.

Just a small correction: Their threat gen is more tied to rage than a warrior's, but rage, for them, comes in in huge amounts from the damage they do, so they can keep bashing for high threat.

most ferals i know OT stuff like moroes and gruul with outohits mainly...
Cearn

Postby Cosmoz » Fri May 09, 2008 10:22 pm

never had a problem with gruuls silence. so its not a problem.
Cosmoz

Postby bejerjoe » Sun May 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Now I thought bubble cleared aggro so if I were to bubble during a boss fight wouldnt he be all over the place? or am I horrible wrong.
Paladins Are simply angels with to much plate to fly.
bejerjoe

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun May 11, 2008 6:45 pm

It's not a threat drop, your threat value is still there. It's just that the boss knows you won't get hurt so he goes hit the next thing. If you're still the top threat (30%+ above whoever he aggroed) he'll go right to you once the bubble wears off
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Robbert » Wed May 14, 2008 4:17 pm

Shirak wrote:Our guild Leader is a holy Pali and feels a Feral Druid serves to be the best tank for 25 man raid bosses.

I got excited when I saw my name as MT1 last night. I tanked Mulgar, a couple of trash mobs, then back in healing gear... Then he had our feral druid MT Gruul and a Warrior OT Gruul.

I didn't know if Gruul was that much harder to tank than Mulgar.

Note, raid buffed, I hit 18.3k hitpoints currently.

I prefer a pally/feral/warrior tanking team on this fight. Throw the Pally in the MT role, Druid in the OT role, and Warrior as 3rd tank. The Pally and Druid will generate good threat on this fight assuming they're all in late T4 and early T5 gear which means dps can go to town early...always a good thing in a dps race. The Warrior does Sunders/Thunderclap/Demo Shout and Intervene on the Pally MT with every silence to soak an attack from Gruul and slides into the OT role if one of the other tanks goes down. It's always worked well on our runs anyway.
Robbert

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag