Remove Advertisements

Lower Kara Mana Issues?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Lower Kara Mana Issues?

Postby shifttusk » Wed May 07, 2008 9:33 am

So I went to kara yesterday on the weeklyish alt run my guild does and actualy had the opportunity to tank a good deal of the trash and some boss mobs including moroes. While pulling the atumen trash I just kept multiple mobs on me and the incoming dmg was substantial enough for me to keep mostly max ranking (did downrank HS but did not need to really) and in some cases even pop up extra recasts on seals and even RF for more SA threat. But tanking moroes in my uncrush gear I was going oom fast going full threat on him. Keeping R1HS up and max rank consec untill I had a threat lead then downrank to R4 I was going oom. I ended up deciding to stop casting HS to eat a few crushes for mana. This didn't even help as his CB's were a whooping 2800 or so MH. I'm not main tanking the place but I am getting the opportunity to tank more and more should I keep extra threat pieces on in the lower half and stay crushable? It seemed my dmg intake on trash was far better than on bosses.
Shifttusk - 70 Hunter Executus 0/20/41
Easylay - 70 Paladin Anetheron 0/49/12
shifttusk

Postby BigBlueCheese » Wed May 07, 2008 10:38 am

Tank Moroes and his comrades. I did that yesterday and mana wasn't much of a problem.

Got blinded once so I lost aggro on the adds but taunted back with a shaman casualty but she self rezzed.
BigBlueCheese

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 07, 2008 10:52 am

Attumen + midnight I actually sit down to eat crits like twice in the whole thing...and if the mana is still low I ask the decurses to not decurse anyone but me and the healers. Only way to keep up without using consumables.

On moroes, I buttank him. Crushability my ass(no pun intended), i keep reasonable mana up and tank an add or two.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ariashley » Wed May 07, 2008 11:32 am

I have mana issues through most of Kara because I absolutely can not downrank any abilities and keep threat with several of the DPS in my group (I sometimes have mutiple T5/6 geared dps in a group when I'm still in about 1/3rd blues). I do change some gear to have more block and less avoidance for that bit.

I just burn through a stack or 2 of mana pots and let whoever the other tank is pick up extra trash when I'm oom. I try and stack groups so I'm in the elemental shaman group (if there is one), since that helps with threat and usually knock back an unstable flask of the sorcerer and some wizard oil and spell damage food through most of the lower part of kara. I bring a flask of fortification and stam food for Nightbane, Prince, Netherspite.

Note: On both my rogue and my paladin I hear all the time "You flask for farm content?" My answer: My guild has no farm content. We kill something and then progress. Threfore, nothing is ever farm and I always need a flask.
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 07, 2008 11:35 am

For kara I use my full threat set for all but prince and nb(if we don't have more than 1 fear ward). Something on the lines of 600 spell damage buffed, same armor, 2k less hp and 3% less avoidance. But my judgments hit for 1000 :P
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby shifttusk » Wed May 07, 2008 11:54 am

Snake 2 questions.

1) Buttanking although sounding kinky is where you somewhat back into the mob so he does not reposition but your ass is too him and he can't gouge you right? I'm guessing this leaves you dropping avoidance except miss and getting hit enough for mana?

2) Can I has your threat gear. Thats really nasty for judge hits that alone is 237 TPS just on your judge alone which is sexy as all hell. I was running SD food + adepts + Oil and I think at 318 SD not counting JotC in there which was nice. Next week I'm going to try popping on my 2 caster trinkets and my s1 lawlemar head for that fight.
Shifttusk - 70 Hunter Executus 0/20/41
Easylay - 70 Paladin Anetheron 0/49/12
shifttusk

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 07, 2008 12:02 pm

shifttusk wrote:Snake 2 questions.

1) Buttanking although sounding kinky is where you somewhat back into the mob so he does not reposition but your ass is too him and he can't gouge you right? I'm guessing this leaves you dropping avoidance except miss and getting hit enough for mana?

Correct. I don't get gouged, keep threat through consecration and judgment until he enrages(by then i'm garroted, or someone is garroted and BoSacrificed, so I just need to stay at max range from the raid and they don't get hit after a gouge or blind).
Actually sometimes I just keep buttanking until he dies. I have enough threat lead from killing 2-3 adds first, and usually keep the prot warrior on me(not on the butt, silly!) if he's in the match.

shifttusk wrote:2) Can I has your threat gear. Thats really nasty for judge hits that alone is 237 TPS just on your judge alone which is sexy as all hell. I was running SD food + adepts + Oil and I think at 318 SD not counting JotC in there which was nice. Next week I'm going to try popping on my 2 caster trinkets and my s1 lawlemar head for that fight.

I didn't go out of my way for threat gear...T4 gloves helm and shoulders, Libram of Divine Purpose, SSO shield, badge gear and Icon of the silver crescent instead of pocketwatch. I'm usually on spell damage food and wizard oils have no excuse to not be used.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Cosmoz » Wed May 07, 2008 1:56 pm

I yet havent tried to let moroes hit me in the back. havent had any problems with him so faar either, tanking him and 2-3 of his adds. maybe I should try this butt thing next time :P
Cosmoz

Postby Lalecize » Wed May 07, 2008 4:44 pm

I have horrible problems on trash and bosses in kara since overgearing it.

I wear a crittible and crushable set for trash (DPS set :D) with about 650 spell damage. The mobs die fast, and im usually second or third on dps lol.

On bosses I chug mana pots like a mofo. Its the disadvantage of being a tank. The more gear you get the worse you are at old content, the complete opposite to DPS.

So I would swap a few pieces out and definetely take along some mana pots.

I take a elixer of Mage(blood??) that gives me +mp5, as well as (Blackened Baslisk?) that gives me stam and mp5 (Sorry im tired today - I can't remember - Guildeys just make it for me lol.)

I pull as much as I can, and we two heal it. This tends to give me plenty of mana. Due to the damage, and the extra dps makes the trash die a lot faster.
Lalecize

Postby Seloei » Wed May 07, 2008 11:52 pm

if your going oom on trash. Pull moar mobs!

Chain pull as many as you need to keep your mana up and just blast through the place if you outgear it. On bosses, start off with a max threat rotation, get a hefty lead, then judge wisdom, and seal wisdom. If they aint dead before your oom, dps is slacking.
Also if you can, get that shadowpriest with you! :P
Seloei

Postby Ariashley » Fri May 09, 2008 10:52 am

Seloei wrote:if your going oom on trash. Pull moar mobs!

Chain pull as many as you need to keep your mana up and just blast through the place if you outgear it. On bosses, start off with a max threat rotation, get a hefty lead, then judge wisdom, and seal wisdom. If they aint dead before your oom, dps is slacking.

The second I seal wisdom, I lose aggro. That's how close DPS hug my threat. This is the main issue with being far outgeared by the DPS in your group. If I had a spell damage set, I'm sure I'd wear it...
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Postby Aedolfmawini » Fri May 09, 2008 11:06 am

My suggestion for moroes:
Downgrade gear for max SD/Stam while still topping 490 def. Uncrush is not important on moroes. Tank him and all safely tankable adds. Have a druid or dps warr smacking his ass, all others on adds. First bleed, focus them and keep sacrifice up on them and tell warr/druid to go kill whatever. Once adds are gone, stop using holy shield whenever mana dips low. That should do it. Works for me, anyway.
Aedolfmawini

Postby Talmus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:35 am

Ariashley wrote:
Seloei wrote:if your going oom on trash. Pull moar mobs!

The second I seal wisdom, I lose aggro. That's how close DPS hug my threat. This is the main issue with being far outgeared by the DPS in your group. If I had a spell damage set, I'm sure I'd wear it...

I was having the same problem and it's exactly what you mentioned. I was in Kara for my second trip and have done only a handful of instances at 70. I'm geared up well enough to tank anything in Kara but as is typical for early tank gear it's at the cost of sd and mp5 (196 unbuffed sd/0 unbuffed mp5). The raid I'm with however is geared out of Kara for the most part. I find myself running oom quite a bit (especially while OT'ing) and even with a tight spell rotation I couldn't keep OT agro on fights like Moroes and Opera (Romeo and Juliet or whatever it's called) and when I MT'd Curator the rogue died to one too many agro steals from me coupled with being oor for the healers.

I made a mistake passing up on the spell damage cloak from the Moroes fight I think but I was a few badges from Slikk's and passing ended up getting me the pocketwatch so I can't be too upset. I was using wizard oil and sta/mp5 food with defensive elixirs...given that I was *almost* holding enough threat would it make sense to just switch to sd food and elixirs instead?
Talmus

Postby jchung » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:54 am

Granted I'm still in half blues. But I keep multiple sets of gear on me. One for tanking, one for max spell damage, and one for healing.

This discussion has been interesting for me as I expect in a couple weeks I might be MT on kara runs. As OT, I've been having mana issues.

I suppose if I start seeing issues with mana and threat, I'll swap in some of my SD gear while I'm tanking to help out.

Benefit being I would expect I would take more damage and generate more threat.
jchung

Postby Talmus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:37 am

jchung wrote:Granted I'm still in half blues. But I keep multiple sets of gear on me. One for tanking, one for max spell damage, and one for healing.

This discussion has been interesting for me as I expect in a couple weeks I might be MT on kara runs. As OT, I've been having mana issues.

I suppose if I start seeing issues with mana and threat, I'll swap in some of my SD gear while I'm tanking to help out.

Benefit being I would expect I would take more damage and generate more threat.

For the trash I think I might do that. I try really hard to be uncrittable still on the trash but I think my gear's too good for that...might just have to make the healers work a bit harder and give up the uncrittable if that's what it takes to keep up the mana and threat on the trash. As for the bosses like Curator I'll just have to hope that I can get by without avoidance/hp battle elixir and food and go to spell damage there.
Talmus

Next

Return to Karazhan